Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2018, 03:37 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,599,374 times

Advertisements

I cannot stand smoking, menthol-cigs are just, GACK.

I am not for bans, just issue me a gas-mask so I can don it when I am near
someone who smokes menthols.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2018, 03:56 PM

11,904 posts, read 5,587,643 times
Sure. Let's do this. Let's make it kind of like Prohibition, since that worked so well. -_-

Old 11-17-2018, 04:05 PM

7,934 posts, read 8,591,973 times
Why? are they worse than regular cigarettes? I'm pretty sure not. I say this as an occasional smoker of both menthol and non-menthol cigarettes. (Not too often these days though.)

Old 11-17-2018, 04:09 PM

937 posts, read 927,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
Could this be racist? Majority of menthol cigarette smokers are from the black community. Minors (children under the age of 18) aren’t smoking menthol cigarettes more than other types of cigarettes. In fact the trend is moving towards e-cigarettes or vaping. Why target only menthol cigarettes? Personally I’m against further government intrusion and I never smoked anything in my 49 years. Let the free market and customer base decide for themselves.
I thought the exact same thing.

Menthols are definitely the preferred option for many ethnic communities...

After some research, they're apparently less harsh so "maybe" it's an effort to minimize the ease of smoking but I can't say I believe that.

If you wanted to make smoking harder, why not start w/ raising the age?
Disallow sales in C-Stores and allow states to control the sale of them.
Legalize pot.
Better manage e-cigarettes (which are even easier to smoke than menthols)

There's many other ways to minimize the effects of smoking than targeting a particular kind of cigarette.

Old 11-17-2018, 04:38 PM

776 posts, read 394,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
If the government was truly being racist, wouldn't they want MORE BLACKS to smoke them, to make them sick ?
Based on that logic, a racist government would legalize all drugs and reduce incarceration. The reason racist governments tend to ban things that blacks like is because they want an excuse to police, incarcerate, and segregate blacks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies