Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2018, 06:41 PM

52,431 posts, read 26,636,151 times

Advertisements

There they go again.

Democrats telling us that 10s of millions of their fellow Americans are Deplorable.

They have to create a new reason every day. This time it's pot smokers. Speaks for itself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2018, 06:47 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,681,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
Pot stays in the system of heavy users for 28 days. So, I said that I would not have as much of a problem with it if potters agreed not to work or drive or do other dangerous things during that time. Of course, they won’t agree with this.
Quote:
I have. It’s not wrong. I’ve cited it many times in similar discussions in other threads. National institutes of health.

Looks like you are going to take the easy way out.

I'm not finding anything online, that says pot is still in the system after 28 days. Only metabolites are found in the system after 28 days (and it can be much shorter or much longer) -these aren't THC, but molecules formed as a result of the body metabolizing a THC.

Drugs tests don't generally test for the presence of THC, they test for molecules that indicate that THC has been metabolized by the body -big difference.

Old 11-18-2018, 07:12 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,822,893 times
Quote:
Pot stays in the system of heavy users for 28 days. So, I said that I would not have as much of a problem with it if potters agreed not to work or drive or do other dangerous things during that time. Of course, they won’t agree with this.
It can be detected in a person for around 28 days, not that the person is under the influence of it for 28 days.

Old 11-18-2018, 07:22 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,368,921 times
"Freedom" and "State" in the thread title...

https://media.giphy.com/media/lsdEtUhszr0g8/giphy.gif

Old 11-18-2018, 07:27 PM

5,576 posts, read 8,000,929 times
Alaska has recreational marijuana and is a red state, and last I checked Michigan, Nevada, and Maine weren't exactly deep blue states. Indeed of the recreational marijuana states Democrats have total control of state government in only Oregon and California; Republicans have it in Michigan, and Republicans split control with an independent Governor in Alaska. The rest are split between Republicans and Democrats.

While it is true that there are more liberal states that have recreational marijuana than conservative states (likely because marijuana legalization is more popular among liberals than conservatives), several deep red states (Arkansas, Oklahoma, North Dakota, Utah, Louisiana, Montana, and West Virginia) have medical marijuana. Libertarians of course spearheaded the movement and constituted the campaign to legalize it in Colorado and Washington for recreational use recently, while mainstream liberals were nowhere to be found endorsing such an extreme position as legalizing drugs. It is of course not a coincidence that the western states, whether blue (Washington) or red (Alaska) have led this movement, because they have the highest concentration of libertarians compared to other parts of the country. They have spearheaded it so much in fact that wanting to smoke pot has been a libertarian (far more than liberal) stereotype for decades.

So while it is true that marijuana is a blue state thing more than a red state thing, it is more of a gold state thing more than it is either red or blue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
It can be detected in a person for around 28 days, not that the person is under the influence of it for 28 days.

Indeed. Just because a substance is detectable doesn't mean it's having a significant effect. For instance arsenic exists at trace amounts in the atmosphere that are detectable but it's not at a high enough dose to affect anything.

Old 11-18-2018, 07:29 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,870,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raddo View Post
Really? Why don't you just ask MJJersey and T-310 (and others) what they think should be done with pot smokers?
So if two people are not backing less government and you think that speaks for conservatives?

Old 11-18-2018, 07:32 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,870,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
Some plants are poisonous and some are invasive, and should be controlled. Many natural things can cause people harm.
Taking rights away does the most harm.

Old 11-18-2018, 11:27 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,603,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travis t View Post
The whole devotion to "freedom" is misguided. Read Cass Sunstein's excellent book 'nudge' regarding how government can intervene to help us make better personal decisions.

We legalized pot here (WA) several years ago by ballot initiative. I voted no. We already have enough problems with legal alcohol. Why do we want to add to that? Marijuana is linked to brain damage, according to the CDC. I suspect that all intoxicants carry some risk of brain damage.

In this era of Obamacare, and with possibly medicare for all coming, the taxpayer has a legitimate interest in controlling unhealthy behaviors. If you end up with emphysema or brain damage, the taxpayer will probably pay for your care.
How do you feel, knowing the drug cartels share your opinion, they do not want to see any legalization either, they very much support tough drug laws for ALL drugs!

Drug laws are the only thing ensuring the cartels continue to thrive.

Old 11-19-2018, 08:19 AM

25,578 posts, read 17,293,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post

Drug laws are the only thing ensuring the cartels continue to thrive.
Greed keeps them alive, not drug laws.
The Mafia lived long after Prohibition was repealed.

Old 11-19-2018, 08:24 AM

68,330 posts, read 54,400,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travis t View Post
The whole devotion to "freedom" is misguided. Read Cass Sunstein's excellent book 'nudge' regarding how government can intervene to help us make better personal decisions.

We legalized pot here (WA) several years ago by ballot initiative. I voted no. We already have enough problems with legal alcohol. Why do we want to add to that? Marijuana is linked to brain damage, according to the CDC. I suspect that all intoxicants carry some risk of brain damage.

In this era of Obamacare, and with possibly medicare for all coming, the taxpayer has a legitimate interest in controlling unhealthy behaviors. If you end up with emphysema or brain damage, the taxpayer will probably pay for your care.

Why do you want to punish some people for behavior no worse than that freely and legally practiced by others?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies