Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-21-2018, 05:55 AM

30,167 posts, read 11,803,456 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
Doing drugs that destroy your mind and body doesn’t make you free; it enslaves you and makes you weak. That’s why blue state governments and even some red states like the idea.

No having the free will and choice to choose what you consume makes you free. Having the government arbitrarily decide that for you and put you in prison simply for not obeying them makes you enslaved.

Supporting the same failed war on drugs for decades and expecting different results is the definition of insanity.

Last edited by Oklazona Bound; 11-21-2018 at 07:01 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2018, 06:01 AM

30,167 posts, read 11,803,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Conservatives talk about individual freedoms.
Libertarians talk about it even more, but tend to vote Republican (as a whole).

They act as if they would fight and die for my "freedoms" to, for example, give speeches to White Suprematists about how the Holocaust was a myth.

They go on about "Natural Rights", but yet don't seem to know what that actually means....

And so, my example and question is this. Here in MA. I can now walk into a store and buy (and consume later) pot in any and all flavors and types. I can buy large quantities of it, just like with booze. For almost a decade a citizen of this commonwealth has been able to use it with no penalties. We can grow it.

And the same is the situation is about 10 states. Here is the map:
http://www.ncsl.org/research/civil-a...-overview.aspx

That mindset is changing even in red states. I as a libertarian and never vote GOP or DEM but would happily vote to legalize pot. A libertarian that tends to vote Republican is really just a Republican.

Old 11-21-2018, 11:39 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,603,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jburress View Post
I don't know where you live and I don't know the weight of a bag in my area (Philly) but the price is around 5 dollars per. Granted, I've heard of people using over 25 (sometimes way over) bags a day.

Glad to hear you haven't used for so long. I don't know you, but it makes feel good to know that. Hopefully the hardest part is over.
$5. bags of heroin? Maybe you are referring to meth?

Old 11-21-2018, 12:01 PM

36,536 posts, read 30,871,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
No having the free will and choice to choose what you consume makes you free. Having the government arbitrarily decide that for you and put you in prison simply for not obeying them makes you enslaved.

Supporting the same failed war on drugs for decades and expecting different results is the definition of insanity.
Your talking about reclassifying a drug that was legal, then not legal, now legal again at the will of individual states much like alcohol was legal, not legal, legal again as if it defines freedom.
The government still restricts what we consume, there are restrictions on cannabis, cigarettes, alcohol and food (Portion cap rule, NY).
I'm all for legalized marijuana but making it legal again does not define freedom.

Old 11-21-2018, 12:08 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,265,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
Doing drugs that destroy your mind and body doesn’t make you free; it enslaves you and makes you weak. That’s why blue state governments and even some red states like the idea.
Um, Church Lady, we are not discussing heroin, opioids and crack.

Please speak for yourself. If you feel enslaved when smoking weed--that would be your problem.

I don't feel enslaved, and I do pretty much whatever I want as well work full-time.

Please don't set me free! I'm good with legal weed. Really.

Old 11-21-2018, 04:02 PM

1,589 posts, read 1,189,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseManOnceSaid View Post
So, would you allow your child to let your 6 month old grand kid smoke an ounce? If so, why? If not, why?
Of course not. I would rather put him in a helmet, and strap him to a legal 750cc Husqvarna and send him out full throttle into the desert by himself. THAT'S legal.

What an incredibly stupid question. See, that's the difference between responsible pot users and the users that seem to think that by not using, they are superior in intellect. God help us if this poster represents the hoards that create rules governing 'intelligent' living.

And by the way, I DON'T SMOKE POT, but after this question, I probably will.

Old 11-21-2018, 05:42 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,678,698 times
Trump is making me take up pot....true! I haven't used the stuff in 40 years - but now I will.

After all, like the Saudis this is good for America - taxes and the 10's of billions to be made. AND, unlike what Trump likes to sell, this won't send red hot metal through the bodies of women and children.

America First. American Weed. Mexican and Columbian and Thai weed growers are crying. Soon we'll be exporting.

Old 11-21-2018, 05:47 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,678,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
It is too expensive for many. It's good for rich liberals and students, that's it.

Places average people could afford are drug infested (think heroin not weed) and/or violent sanctuary cities and even they are expensive. Some cities in MA are on worst places to live in the US list.
What about.......

As you well know, the STATE of MA. comes in the top 1-5 in virtually every metric that is important and which shows quality of life, income, health, education and most other measurements of civil society.

Yes, we haven't solved the problem of making chit that doesn't stink (meaning we are human).....

As far as affordability, two quick points. Currently the cost of a "high" for a light user is about $2. That will come down quickly as more competition opens. My guess is that it will be about $1 or less.

Saying that is only in the realm of rich liberals is quite ridiculous.

Old 11-26-2018, 08:12 AM

3,129 posts, read 1,332,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travis t View Post
I'm happy it has worked out for you, but that is not going to be the case for most. I have a friend that is an alcoholic who drinks himself to sleep every night, but still runs 3 hr marathons in his 50's. That is not the case for the vast majority of alcoholics.

Ask the CDC whether marijuana is harmful to health.
https://www.cdc.gov/marijuana/health-effects.html

We really should have totally clamped down years ago, and wiped it out. This, for example, is what we did with full automatic weapons, and as a result they rarely are used in crimes. We wiped 'em out. It may now be too late to do that with marijuana.
GREAT IDEA! We should have wiped out this life-saving plant decades ago!

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/gw...psy-2018-11-26

Quote:
GW Pharmaceuticals Inc. shares GWPH, +5.60% rose 2.4% in premarket trade Monday, after the company said a second Phase 3 trial of its cannabis-based Epidiolex treatment for a severe form of childhood epilepsy produced positive results. The treatment is the first cannabis-based drug to win approval in the U.S. for two types of childhood epilepsy, Dravet syndrome and Lennox-Gastaut Syndrome in patients two years and older.

Old 11-26-2018, 09:58 AM

7,300 posts, read 3,398,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Why? If the talking points about conservatives getting government out of their lives are anywhere near true - why would they support putting normal citizens in jail and charging them with crimes...whilst their Blue Brothers are enjoying pain relief and relaxation and recreation?
Because you are a drug addict. We don't tend to legalize drugs merely because people like them: with the exception of alcohol. However, legalization of one recreational drug does not constitute a precedent for legalization of all drugs. If we were to follow that logic, we'd have to legalize crack because people like wine with dinner. Its not valid logic.

Moreover, your drug of choice has concrete negative health and social effects with no appreciable valid use other than what addicts rationalize to themselves. As does alcohol. However, in my experience, while alcohol is worse in the short term marijuana use is worse in the long term. You can be abstinent from alcohol and revert to your same personality in sobriety. Personality changes from marijuana tend to be somewhat permanent, resulting from permanent brain architecture change. To start.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies