Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Have you seen a general increase in your income and consumption over the course of your working life
Yes: I have generally increased my income over the course of my working life. 20 60.61%
No: I have been unable to increase my income over the course of my working life. 7 21.21%
Unsure: my working life has been to up and down for me to generally know. 6 18.18%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2018, 05:01 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,875,145 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Well, let's see... my first job payed a wage of $2.65 per hour (which was right around 40 years ago). If my purchasing power hadn't have increased drastically between then and now, I'd have starved to death a long, long time ago.
Exactly. Isn't that about you gaining experience and therefore value?
Shouldn't the true test be comparing apples to apples? The purchasing power of someone in a specific industry like the automotive industry, now vs 30 years ago?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2018, 05:08 AM

18,358 posts, read 26,503,289 times
It would be interesting to show the hours people are working now versus 30 or 40 years ago as well.

Old 11-23-2018, 05:12 AM

16,236 posts, read 5,884,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anmarxist View Post
Repeat after me: PURCHASING POWER.

The average American hasn't had a raise in 40 years, quit fooling yourself.
I retired at 55, this year 11 days after my birthday. Yeah I enjoyed a good job with pretty good cost of living increases. No thanks to such wonderful programs like NAFTA or giving China most favored nation status.

Old 11-23-2018, 05:14 AM

18,462 posts, read 7,094,796 times
Quote:

I've been in the working world for just about 40 years now.

No degree....just a high school diploma and the determination to learn and increase my skills over time.

I started my first job in 1979 as a dishwasher at a truck stop for $2.90/hr.

This year my wife and I bought our third house for just shy of 230k.

We paid mostly cash.

My mortgage payment is smaller than most people's car payments.

Old 11-23-2018, 05:34 AM

18,462 posts, read 7,094,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
Sounds like those Obama years were pretty good for people after all!

Glad we finally cleared that up.

Well I should certainly hope so.

After all, you'd think that after doubling over 230 years worth of accumulated debt in just 8 years, he'd have something to show for it........

Old 11-23-2018, 05:40 AM

39,077 posts, read 51,246,227 times
Increases in purchasing power and heightened consumerism have come from imports of goods at lower prices from Asia primarily. There would be no Wal-Mart if not for China. It has come at the cost of millions of good paying jobs in America.

Old 11-23-2018, 06:14 AM

59,106 posts, read 27,330,758 times
I'm retired and my IRA is UP.

MY SC check is HIGHER,

My healthcare insurance is DOWN.

Old 11-23-2018, 06:33 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,758,281 times
Quote:

Apples and oranges.

The “ average” lives in larger space with fewer others, acquires more stuff and does more things than “ average” did 40- 50 years ago. The “ average” has a far greater opportunity to survive a nasty diagnosis than “average” did 40 years ago. The “ average” is substantially heavier than “ average” was 40 years ago.

“ Average” pays a lower tax rate on income than “ average” did 40 years ago. The earned Income Tax Credit did not exist 40 years ago.

The average and median age of the population is older than it was 40 years ago.

What has changed the most are the number of job functions eliminated by technology substitution/ industrial robotics- far mare than jobs offshored.

Old 11-23-2018, 06:52 AM

1,665 posts, read 975,968 times
My wages increased. Due to longevity on the job.

But with rising costs, including cost of living, the wage increase is not really seen. To me it's...Well wages increased, let's increase the taxes and politicians wages to equal that out!

Old 11-23-2018, 07:24 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,024,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
The perception and context of may politicians and media types is that Americans have had stagnant wages - that individuals do not see a growth in wages after factoring out inflation over the long-term.

School districts I know of give raises simply for years taught. You also get raises for recertifying...something that you are required to do if you want to keep teaching anyways (just as a pharmacist is required to keep studying about new drugs, etc...).

You are yet another person denying the studies, but not voting in the poll. I am guessing that you have experienced your income rising, but feel saying so is detrimental to your argument denying the study?
I don't think it is true that Americans misunderstand the concept.

I really don't.

I don't vote on the polls on these boards.

And our household income didn't rise because wages have risen in value. They have risen because of advancements in a career.

And I'm not denying the studies...I'm explaining how you are comparing peas and oranges.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies