Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2018, 07:54 AM

14,497 posts, read 9,433,651 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
When I was traveling by bus to my duty post in the Army, we went right by Stone Mountain. I was able to recognize the figures on the carving, even though I'd never heard of it before. I was amazed that in modern America, such an offensive display could exist. Some of my traveling buddies were African-American and I can imagine what they were thinking, when they saw that, on their way to serving our country. We'd had an ugly experience in Atlanta the day before, of mean-spirited racism against them, in a restaurant, where our group of 12 was eating dinner, in uniform.

As long as that carving remains there, it tells us what its supporters really think about equality. Those who passively tolerate it, are symbolically casting their lot along with them.
What they may very well have been "thinking" has been planted into their minds by the left, which is all about hatred and division. Southerners do honor their ancestors, and that's understandable. While it's true that the political cause of the Civil War was the issue of slavery, the rank-and-file Confederate soldiers fought for their homeland. Whether you agree with it or not, the reality is that's what Southerners today are honoring. To most of them, it is not some statement on racial equality that you think it is.

What percentage of Confederate flag/symbol supporters actually support legally-enforced racial inequality of some form? It's a vanishingly small number, for sure. Similarly, what percentage of Confederate flag/symbol supporters actually support the secession of the South, today? Likewise, it's unquestionably a very small percentage. The surely way to increase that percentage, however, is to continue demonizing the South and trampling on their heritage. The leftist Cultural Marxists are aware of this, but American unity is not their objective.

There has to be some give-and-take to make this country work. Asking a people to repudiate their ancestors is asking too much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2018, 04:15 PM

21,476 posts, read 10,575,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
We are experiencing good race relations now, but if slavery had ended organically in USA due to market forces, Jim Crow does not occur IMO.
That’s what I believe too. I also think the former slave owners would have felt guilty and perhaps given their newly freed slaves business opportunities. They were the ones with all the skills, such as smithing, construction, farming. Their owners were too high and mighty to learn those trades, so the people who could do them would have been in demand. Maybe there wouldn’t have been as much bitterness, though who knows? I’m sure the former slaves had every reason to be bitter so I could be wrong about the outcome. But it would make an interesting alternative history subject.

Old 11-23-2018, 06:36 PM

11,122 posts, read 5,590,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
When I was traveling by bus to my duty post in the Army, we went right by Stone Mountain. I was able to recognize the figures on the carving, even though I'd never heard of it before. I was amazed that in modern America, such an offensive display could exist. Some of my traveling buddies were African-American and I can imagine what they were thinking, when they saw that, on their way to serving our country. We'd had an ugly experience in Atlanta the day before, of mean-spirited racism against them, in a restaurant, where our group of 12 was eating dinner, in uniform.

As long as that carving remains there, it tells us what its supporters really think about equality. Those who passively tolerate it, are symbolically casting their lot along with them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
What was the name of the duty post mentioned? Odds are it was named for a Confederate general
My Army duty post was Redstone Arsenal, at Huntsville, Alabama. I don't think there was a "CSA General Redstone". It's an old name, dating back hundreds of years, after the red rocks and soil in the area. It was opened in 1941 and produced a large amount of poison gas and explosives for World War II. Later, it became our main missile development base.

In looking it up today, I found a statement that some of the main missile agencies are going to be moved elsewhere. That would be an economic disaster for Huntsville and areas in a radius of about 30 miles, as up to 40,000 civilians are employed there. Many of them commute from small communities all over North/Central Alabama.

Incidentally, when we were passing by the Stone Mountain Memorial, which had been unknown to me previously, I was told about it and what it represented, by one of my African-American military traveling companions. You can bet that those of his ancestry know what that place is all about.

Old 11-23-2018, 08:50 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,662,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snj90 View Post
What they may very well have been "thinking" has been planted into their minds by the left, which is all about hatred and division. Southerners do honor their ancestors, and that's understandable. While it's true that the political cause of the Civil War was the issue of slavery, the rank-and-file Confederate soldiers fought for their homeland. Whether you agree with it or not, the reality is that's what Southerners today are honoring. To most of them, it is not some statement on racial equality that you think it is.

What percentage of Confederate flag/symbol supporters actually support legally-enforced racial inequality of some form? It's a vanishingly small number, for sure. Similarly, what percentage of Confederate flag/symbol supporters actually support the secession of the South, today? Likewise, it's unquestionably a very small percentage. The surely way to increase that percentage, however, is to continue demonizing the South and trampling on their heritage. The leftist Cultural Marxists are aware of this, but American unity is not their objective.

There has to be some give-and-take to make this country work. Asking a people to repudiate their ancestors is asking too much.
Having ancestors with a history of slavery to the extent of creating a war to preserve it is not something I'd probably want to preserve.

Just sayin

Old 11-24-2018, 01:31 PM

73,019 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Absolom View Post
Abraham Lincoln actually said if he could preserve the Union by letting slavery continue, he would.
That doesn't take away from the fact that the Confederate cause was about keeping slavery. What the Confederate Constitution, and the Articles of Secession say tell me much more than what Lincoln's intentions were.

Old 11-24-2018, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Odd thing about the Civil War is a million plus died, not knowing more automated ways to pick Cotton, would render the assets of salve holders next to worthless within a quarter century. That would have ended US slavery quickly.
Automated ways of picking cotton would have ended slavery in the cotton fields. However, it would not have ended slavery in the sugar cane fields. Consider this. Sugar cane plantations would have held onto slavery. And sugar cane can be grown from southern Louisiana to southern Georgia and Florida. Cotton would have been king, but slavery would have gone from the cotton fields to the sugar cane fields.

It is not odd to me that many died in the Civil War, only for technology to render slavery worthless. As someone who a descendant of slaves, I would rather die than be a slave. For that, I would have been willing to die in order to be free.

Old 11-24-2018, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by engineman View Post
The south chose to separate from the north and have control of their own destiny. That is the same as when 13 colonies fought to separate from England. It is like when the Taliban blew up ancient statues in the middle east. "They were offensive".
Yes, and that destiny included, to a very large extent, the ability to keep slavery around. The South feared slavery being abolished. Anytime your ability to control your own destiny includes robbing someone else of their own destiny, it is a disgusting cause. This is why I have no respect for Confederate generals and do not feel bad at all when their statues are torn down.

Old 11-24-2018, 01:52 PM

5,278 posts, read 6,213,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
Because Kemp was only partially successful in suppressing the votes in Georgia. But don't worry, they'll have voter suppression down to a pat science by 2020.
The question is- can they suppress an adequate number of votes to make up for the state's changing demographics. You can sway an election at the margins by election roll shenanigans, shortening available hours and even luck of the draw (no power, broken machines, understaffing, poor ballot designs) but when a candidate or party can build more than a 2 point lead it is a lot more difficult. Georgia is attracting huge numbers of young people, minorities and mid career professionals. Those were the folks fueling the Dem surge in 2018.

Old 11-24-2018, 01:54 PM

3,357 posts, read 1,234,070 times
Quote:
And these Democrats basically throw fuel on the fire that is the alt-right. I want the alt-right to die. But for that to happen, Democrats will need to stop fanning the flames of racial hatred and division.
How about the Republicans squelch the alt-right instead of blaming the Democrats for “encouraging” those loons.

Old 11-24-2018, 01:56 PM

57,294 posts, read 26,206,502 times
Quote:

There are already many monuments to both confederate and union soldiers who died at Manassas, Gettysburg and others, why did all these monuments appear decades after the war ended especially this one on a former KKK site. They could have easily put the funds into a museum or some other subtle remembrance rather Stone Mountain. No one is asking anyone to repudiate their ancestors but we don't need this endless public glorification of confederate leaders.

Last edited by Goodnight; 11-24-2018 at 02:58 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies