Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2018, 11:59 AM

48,532 posts, read 34,851,331 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
But that's just the thing, you see. I like a good TV. I HAVE a good TV. In fact, between my housemate and myself, we have four good TVs. No need to run out an get a bigger, better TV just because it's Black Friday, yet that is exactly what some people do: "Nothing at all is wrong with the one I have, but damn...that price is an offer I can't refuse."
Honestly, you don't know that. Sure some of the people might be upgrading an existing TV, some might buy one for another room (like you have), some might be replacing a broken TV, and some might be buying them as gifts.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2018, 12:12 PM

17,155 posts, read 12,962,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
I have gotten some very sweet deals already. I love it. We need more big shopping days.
Agreed. I'm a history nerd and there's a history book that is usually $110 or so that I have wanted to add to my collection for a few years now. But I never could justify spending that much on myself. I have looked on the internet repeatedly since 2015, hoping to find it on sale, and it never cost less than $100. So I waited assuming I would never have it. This Black Friday weekend, I got a 30% off coupon on a less expensive used copy in very good condition and my wife got it for me for one of my Christmas presents. It only cost $65. I'm so happy and will treasure it a long time.

Old 11-25-2018, 12:17 PM

11,904 posts, read 5,587,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Honestly, you don't know that. Sure some of the people might be upgrading an existing TV, some might buy one for another room (like you have), some might be replacing a broken TV, and some might be buying them as gifts.
Yeah, actually I do know that. I never said all people do this, I simply said that for some, it's all about the bargain, or the sense of having gotten something for nothing (or at least less than its real value.) It's brilliant marketing, and it happens all the time, not just on Black Friday, and not just with TVs. It's a very seductive approach, because who doesn't love to get more for less? Think about sales that offer a third item free when you buy two. People who only need one will buy the second to get the third for "nothing," even though the end result is a greater outlay of money.

I'm not saying there are no good buys to be found, only that it makes sense to think before buying: do I really want this, or do I just want that little (imaginary) rush of having put one over on the store?

Old 11-25-2018, 12:19 PM

9,884 posts, read 10,975,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Actually YES, they can. I used to be heavily involved in BMX racing when i was younger and I know bikes, Walmart started selling Mongoose bikes years ago, but they are not the same Mongoose bikes you would find in a regular bike shop, they were MUCH cheaper, (in price and parts). The frame is NOT a Mongoose frame, they use regular painted steel instead of Chromoly, the cranksets, stem, wheels are all off brand/cheap (NOT Mongoose brand).

You dont have to believe me, go online and find the Mongoose bike catalog for 2018, you will not find a single walmart sold 'mongoose' in their line up. the only thing that is real is the Mongoose sticker on the frame and other badging.

Then you should blame Mongoose, not Walmart. Walmart went to Mongoose and asked for a bicycle built to their specifications, to meet their price point. Obviously, Mongoose said "Why sure, we can do that!" and they did.
Snapper, however, was truer to their corporate image. Walmart came to them years ago and wanted special cheaply built Snapper mowers to place in their stores at a lower price. Snapper said "Absolutely not, we will not make cheaper products!"
Perhaps Mongoose should have done the same...

Old 11-25-2018, 03:37 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,599,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
You cannot get a real Mongoose bike at ANY of those retailers (not just walmart), you have to go to a bike shop to get the real deal.

Back in the mid 80s to about late 90s when I was involved in BMX racing and Freestyle, a Mongoose 20" BMX bike (from a bike shop) cost about $450. There is no way walmart, sears, amazon, etc could sell the SAME model for $100 or less, its all in the parts, crankset, frame, stem mainly.

Theres only a couple of brands that do this though, Mongoose and I believe Huffy now, you wont find Redline, GT, Haro, CW, Kuwahara, ANYWHERE besides bike shops.

Well, if Mongoose is manufacturing and putting their name on the product, it is a REAL Mongoose.......no matter which store it is sold in.

If I go online to Dell's website and spec-out the components on the Computer I want to order......that is basically the same thing that Walmart and many other bigbox-stores are doing with many products they sell.

Old 11-26-2018, 12:10 AM

6,115 posts, read 3,088,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
Instead of buying crap I don't need on Black Friday, I'll be hiking.
Instead of buying more crap I don't need on Small Business Saturday, I'll be doing something with my kids.
Instead of buying anything on Cyber Monday, I'll be at work.

Does anyone else think that this stuff is out of control --- and has been for a long time?
I have done a little math of my own spending, and I found that I spend A LOT less if I IGONE all and any shopping based on some ongoing huge “saleâ€. And instead, I go buy stuff at full price ONLY when I really do need it.

It saves time due to less yearly trips to the mall. And it saves space in my closet by not piling up junk that I don’t really need.

The way people shop “because it’s a sale†makes me feel like some consumers in the general public have gone psychos.

Old 11-26-2018, 01:28 AM

11,122 posts, read 5,590,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
If I want to shop, I love that there are all these great deals out there, and if I don't want to.... no one is making me.

But thanks for updating us on your schedule.

I take it you are not buying anyone xmas presents.

I never buy anything except the very best. That doesn't necessarily mean the most expensive, it's just the things that I consider to be the best, for my purposes. These things are almost never on sale and especially not on Black Friday.

But just for the heck of it, I checked all the cameras on the Black Friday sales. There wasn't a single model at a special low price that I would use, even if someone gave it to me. There was one model that I've been considering, that was featured at a "Black Friday low price". That price was exactly the same as it's been for months.

Old 11-26-2018, 07:06 AM

17,005 posts, read 12,595,161 times
Instead of buying crap I don't need on Black Friday, I'll be working selling said crap.
Instead of buying more crap I don't need on Small Business Saturday, working still selling said crap.
Instead of buying anything on Cyber Monday, I'll be at work at both jobs.

Fun aint it?

Friday was extra fun.
Me selling clothes washer to customer, "blah blah blah this one is 50 dollars less and does what you want and is a better bet..."
Rude Bum Cavity, (interrupting) "I need to buy this tool"
Me, "busy with this person. Tools is over there."
Rude Bum Cavity, "There is a line. You are not doing much. Ring this tool"
Me looks over and sees THREE people taking care of said line in tools. Said line is likely less than 5 minutes. We had some better people ringing there on purpose, "Tools is over there"
Rude Bum Cavity, "I do not have time for that line"
Me stifling the urge to say, "Hey [expletives] MORON [string of expletives]. You are not special. Move your unspecial backside to the tools line. I am busy with this person in appliances. NOT YOU [long string of expletives] I guess that I will have to explain to someone as stupid as you, that shopping on black friday involves standing in lines" Instead I said, "Tools is over there and I am helping this person."
Rude Bum Cavity then slams down tools and leaves.

Happened three times
50% of people are nice, 45% are tolerable but I should get three free passes for an epic Youtube worthy tirade every black Friday.

Old 11-26-2018, 07:18 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,265,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
Instead of buying crap I don't need on Black Friday, I'll be working selling said crap.
Instead of buying more crap I don't need on Small Business Saturday, working still selling said crap.
Instead of buying anything on Cyber Monday, I'll be at work at both jobs.

Fun aint it?

Friday was extra fun.
Me selling clothes washer to customer, "blah blah blah this one is 50 dollars less and does what you want and is a better bet..."
Rude Bum Cavity, (interrupting) "I need to buy this tool"
Me, "busy with this person. Tools is over there."
Rude Bum Cavity, "There is a line. You are not doing much. Ring this tool"
Me looks over and sees THREE people taking care of said line in tools. Said line is likely less than 5 minutes. We had some better people ringing there on purpose, "Tools is over there"
Rude Bum Cavity, "I do not have time for that line"
Me stifling the urge to say, "Hey [expletives] MORON [string of expletives]. You are not special. Move your unspecial backside to the tools line. I am busy with this person in appliances. NOT YOU [long string of expletives] I guess that I will have to explain to someone as stupid as you, that shopping on black friday involves standing in lines" Instead I said, "Tools is over there and I am helping this person."
Rude Bum Cavity then slams down tools and leaves.

Happened three times
50% of people are nice, 45% are tolerable but I should get three free passes for an epic Youtube worthy tirade every black Friday.
Sounds about right and congratulations on making it through the day.

Old 11-26-2018, 07:55 AM

17,005 posts, read 12,595,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
Sounds about right and congratulations on making it through the day.
The day brings out bottom feeders.
People too good to wait in a line.
People who think a clothes washer is still $250. (or those who remember last years prices. The import tariffs on laundry equipment raised prices on all units 50 to 100 dollars. US manufacturers were not interested in competing with lower prices. They duplicated the increases of the imported units)
People who look down on anyone working a retail job
The downright crazy ones.
People wanting to odd things like credit card payments on Black Friday. (You really waited until the busiest day of the year to pay your CC? REALLY?)
Knowledge vampires wanting to buy online.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies