Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-25-2018, 09:42 PM

42,874 posts, read 26,406,021 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchlights View Post
This may be the saddest post I or anyone else on CD reads all day. Does this company put a gun to the heads of their associates? Why do people stay there? And if someone has been there eight years, why have they not worked their way into the realm of management yet?
It's not that easy to work your way into management in these companies. It's real common for the store manager to bring in his nephew with his shiny new community college diploma and give him the promotion that employees have been working toward for years. And not everyone is as clever, brilliant and well educated as you, but they still deserve our respect, they get up every day and go to a crappy job and that isn't always easy when you see that you will probably never have enough savings to pay for your kids dental work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2018, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by banksock View Post
Bernie was president none of us would have to work his free handouts will take care of us.

Why does everyone pick on walmart when 90 percent of retail stores pay low wages? Retail is only good if your planning to climb up the ladder. A old high school friend of mines he started out as a cashier and then a supervisor now hes a general manager hes making really good money.

If anyone should get 15 an hour should really be Nurses Aides i used to be one and the amount of work we do.
Because Walmart can set local wages because of their size, in some areas there are few other employers, it's call monopsony

Old 11-25-2018, 10:09 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,928,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banksock View Post
Bernie was president none of us would have to work his free handouts will take care of us.

Why does everyone pick on walmart when 90 percent of retail stores pay low wages? Retail is only good if your planning to climb up the ladder. A old high school friend of mines he started out as a cashier and then a supervisor now hes a general manager hes making really good money.

If anyone should get 15 an hour should really be Nurses Aides i used to be one and the amount of work we do.

Bernie might be a good guy but I think his 'dreams' are a bit unrealistic. Sound to good to be true so likely are.

I have friends who work for Target and Home Depot. Comparing them with Walmart they are almost exactly the same for pay, benefits and how they treat their employees. And their rules and regulations are nearly identical. I hear the exact same complaints about the companies from their employees. It isn't 'just Walmart' but being the biggest they get the most flack from the general public. It is actually fairly easy to climb the ladder at Walmart. I saw tons of promotions in my years there.

CNAs here are at the $15 hour mark. It was up to $12 when I quit nearly 10 years ago.

Old 11-25-2018, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
168 hours in a week. Plenty of time.

2 relatives are working 45-50 hrs/week, and going to school for Masters at night. Where there is personal initiative, there is a way.

Plenty of time, absolutely, but the way Walmart schedules people...all different hours, different shifts, different days off all the time...it's extremely hard to get a second job. Not that many actually have a set schedule and those that do are mostly in management.

Old 11-25-2018, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
get a second job, plenty are available, there's 168 hours in a week, maybe working only 40 isn't enough.
It's unlikely that if you work at Walmart you work 40 hours a week, 69% of their workers are part time and it's not as easy as you seem to think it is to juggle two jobs. In low paying jobs hours are changed weekly so it becomes difficult if not impossible to find a second job where the employer will give you hours that coincide with your Walmart schedule.

Old 11-25-2018, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchlights View Post
And this is fine. WM is a great job for those closing shop on high school or knocking out their Associates degree at the local JC. I would prefer to hire a young person that came from WM over one from Mickey D's any day of the week. It is also a great job for people in your position that are of the retirement age to assist with a little added income and keep them occupied. These are two scenarios at opposite ends of the career spectrum.

It is those in the middle that settle for WM that are concerning. What are they looking for? People know what they will get at WM before they ever apply. Did they start with the hopes of working their way into management? If so, at the three year mark, that individual needs to do some assessment if they are still in the same position they were hired at. Some employees can also get too comfortable with their position and their career aspirations can become stagnant. Eventually, low wages become a significant motivator to get back on track. Those working at WM (non management) that are between the ages of 25-50 have chosen to be there. No one forces their hand.

There are many better paying jobs that do not require a college degree. Take truck driving for instance. Virtually anyone with normal hearing and eyesight can get a Class A CDL with a very minimal investment and begin making 45k plus in their first year. The industry is in a constant state of shortage for qualified drivers. The biggest obstacles to continued employment or being hired are passing the drug test and their prior safety record. Not much different than the expectations of most employers in this country. You don't have to be a people person or even a good communicator. Just get the freight from point A to point B safely.

Bottom line, if $$$ is the issue, go somewhere else. It likely will take motivation on the part of the employee, but you gotta give to get.

I can't speak for other places but the people who work at my store are there because it's the biggest and best in town for employment. Not everyone stays there, of course, and there is turnover but mostly they work there because it's convenient and doesn't pay all THAT badly. Not compared to most other places in town. Our Valley only has about 45,000 people and I think a LOT of them have worked at Walmart one time or another. None of the kids I trained over the past two years had plans to make Walmart their careers. They were in school for the usual computer sciences stuff, all sorts of medical classes, business, law enforcement etc.. Once done they'll mostly leave here for greener pastures. The older folks aren't all that 'ambitious' anymore. Most of them, like myself, just want to do our jobs and go home. Once they hit 40 they just 'settle in' and keep plugging. They might, and can, change departments and, maybe, even become a dept. manager, but that's about all they care. And I guess 'somebody' has to do the jobs offered so why not? If they ALL left for greener pastures there'd be nobody to take care of customers. Although technology is taking care of that these days.

I have a family full of truck drivers. My son owned his own trucks and my brothers did long distance for years. The nephews and grandsons have all gone into the trades. None of them would be caught dead working at Walmart. lol

Old 11-25-2018, 11:24 PM

2,362 posts, read 781,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
Bernie might be a good guy but I think his 'dreams' are a bit unrealistic. Sound to good to be true so likely are.

I have friends who work for Target and Home Depot. Comparing them with Walmart they are almost exactly the same for pay, benefits and how they treat their employees. And their rules and regulations are nearly identical. I hear the exact same complaints about the companies from their employees. It isn't 'just Walmart' but being the biggest they get the most flack from the general public. It is actually fairly easy to climb the ladder at Walmart. I saw tons of promotions in my years there.

CNAs here are at the $15 hour mark. It was up to $12 when I quit nearly 10 years ago.
Why is it "too good to be true" ? In Switzerland, someone taking your order at McDonalds makes over 3,000USD a month in take home pay. Repeat, take home pay. Not pay that the government then taxes, no take home pay.

Some of you act like your country is located on the continent of Africa. $15 an hour IS NOTHING. It's peanuts, literally. You guys are supposedly the wealthiest country on the world (so you claim) but we're having a debate from the vantage point of someone in South Sudan.

Old 11-25-2018, 11:27 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,517,629 times
There seems to be some myth that everyone at Walmart makes very low wages . I know one guy that was up for a management position at Walmart , pay was going to be $60,000 . No college degree .

But at the end of the day labor has a value . A business is not a charity . If Walmart could pay each employees $50 an hour does that mean they should ?

It is not up to the employer to make sure the employees living expenses are paid . People are free to get another job , side business , side hustle etc .

Old 11-25-2018, 11:36 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,415,553 times
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Where-We-...&wl13=&veh=sem

Old 11-25-2018, 11:39 PM

2,362 posts, read 781,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
There seems to be some myth that everyone at Walmart makes very low wages . I know one guy that was up for a management position at Walmart , pay was going to be $60,000 . No college degree .

But at the end of the day labor has a value . A business is not a charity . If Walmart could pay each employees $50 an hour does that mean they should ?

It is not up to the employer to make sure the employees living expenses are paid . People are free to get another job , side business , side hustle etc .
But while no business is a charity, society has the right to regulate business. Society regulates business on everything from work-place safety to consumer safety of their products - and indeed even in the USA there is a minimum wage. The minimum wage however is grotesquely inadequate and needs to be raised to reflect inflation. This is not a paradigm shift - this is just raising something that hasn't been properly raised in decades.

The real minimum wage was highest in the 1950s and 1960s - two golden decades in America's economic history. Yet, none of you seem to want to emulate this. It's rather quite baffling.

You're fine and even desire going back to 1950s and 1960s demographics but don't want 1950s/1960s worker protections like a minimum wage hike to reflect the same real value it was back then?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies