Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2018, 11:10 AM

2,362 posts, read 778,880 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Easy. Everyone should pay $0 income tax. People should have the freedom to keep their honest earnings.
Why? Do you think your earnings were possible without the government and all its support and infrastructure? Go to the Democratic Republic of Congo and see how much you earn. I guarantee it will be far less than the USA.

So what's the difference? You didn't change.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2018, 11:11 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,576,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadicDrifter View Post
People can opt out by leaving that country.

There are a lot of countries in Africa where people essentially pay no taxes. Nothing is free - no healthcare, no education. Go there and see how you like it. I suggest: Democratic Republic of Congo.
That’s an argument a 5 years old uses.

Old 11-24-2018, 11:12 AM

25,775 posts, read 18,840,914 times
Quote:

There are a lot of countries in Africa where people essentially pay no taxes. Nothing is free - no healthcare, no education. Go there and see how you like it. I suggest: Democratic Republic of Congo.
Oh goodie, it's a variation on the Somalia Suggestion ®. Oldest logical fallacy in the book.

Old 11-24-2018, 11:12 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,576,036 times
Quote:
Why? Do you think your earnings were possible without the government and all its support and infrastructure? Go to the Democratic Republic of Congo and see how much you earn. I guarantee it will be far less than the USA.

So what's the difference? You didn't change.
Once again, what’s the obligation from those who don’t pay income taxes?

Once again, government can charge sales tax or VAT to fund itself.

Old 11-24-2018, 11:16 AM

Quote:

The point is your earnings are not really your earnings. You think you're 100% responsible for your earnings? Then you would make the same in the Democratic Republic of Congo.

In fact your earnings are due (a large portion) to what the government provides. And as such the government gets to take a cut back. It's not stealing. You would be freeloading if you didn't give back.

Someone making no money is not benefiting from the government's infrastructure facilitating the economy so they have nothing to give back, but at the same time they shouldn't be allowed to starve on the street.

Old 11-24-2018, 11:16 AM

5,302 posts, read 2,357,667 times
Quote:

You can opt out of me harassing you and taking your stuff by abandoning your entire life and moving halfway across the globe. Sounds fair, right?

Old 11-24-2018, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T0103E View Post
You can opt out of me harassing you and taking your stuff by abandoning your entire life and moving halfway across the globe. Sounds fair, right?
What makes you think it's your stuff?

Old 11-24-2018, 11:18 AM

25,775 posts, read 18,840,914 times
Quote:

Yep. Consumption tax is the obvious answer. It even fits the bill for the lefties who cry about the "rich need to pay more." That would obviously happen under a consumption tax. But for some reason, Lefty doesn't seem to like the idea. I wonder why that is? I would propose that the reason is NOBODY would get away with either paying nothing or actually getting money back from the government. That would all be a thing of the past.

It could even be set up as more of a luxury tax where a certain amount of basic needs are not taxed at all for the year and after that, the consumption tax kicks in. But again, for Lefty, that would be a no go. Reason being that nobody actually gets paid outright to sit on their duffs all day and play with their smartphone.

Old 11-24-2018, 11:20 AM

5,302 posts, read 2,357,667 times
Quote:
The point is your earnings are not really your earnings. You think you're 100% responsible for your earnings? Then you would make the same in the Democratic Republic of Congo.

In fact your earnings are due (a large portion) to what the government provides. And as such the government gets to take a cut back. It's not stealing. You would be freeloading if you didn't give back.

Someone making no money is not benefiting from the government's infrastructure facilitating the economy so they have nothing to give back, but at the same time they shouldn't be allowed to starve on the street.
This is one of the more twisted rationalizations I've seen. Not the first time I've come across it, but still makes me laugh.

Old 11-24-2018, 11:22 AM

1,675 posts, read 577,639 times
Quote:

Let people have more money by not paying income tax, then rise the price of everything to fund the government? It is a good idea, but no business or politician will vote for that; that will means destroying the economy, people will buy only what they really need, and will try to be as efficient as humanly possible. The current state of the economy depends on wasting, endless consumerism and debt. This scheme works great for people at the top, so don't count on it changing any time soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies