Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2018, 02:42 PM

46,986 posts, read 26,041,916 times

Advertisements

That will help, I'm sure.

Wonder how the Rust Belt Trump voters feel about this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2018, 02:44 PM

25,461 posts, read 9,831,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason3000 View Post
We should pull their subsidies. Since when is not subsidizing a major corporation, against the morals of "liberals"?
I don't think corporations should ever received subsidies or huge tax cuts.

Old 11-27-2018, 02:45 PM

3,321 posts, read 1,103,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
I was going to post that too. I thought they hate big business.
Yada yada, more straw-man whining from the right.

Old 11-27-2018, 02:49 PM

24,521 posts, read 17,271,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason3000 View Post
We should pull their subsidies. Since when is not subsidizing a major corporation, against the morals of "liberals"?

Yeah, good point. Why is the government subsidizing anything outside of welfare for needy people?

If a company as big as GM can't stand on its own 4 tires then they need a lesson in economics and business.

It is lousy if true that they are closing US plants but keeping open the ones in Mexico and overseas.

The Feds should get out of big business.

Old 11-27-2018, 02:52 PM

52,430 posts, read 26,678,767 times
They don't call it "Government Motors" for nothing. Thanks Obama.

Old 11-27-2018, 02:54 PM

9,727 posts, read 9,738,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
Wrong. They make the battery packs in Nevada and the software engineers and assembly happens near silicon valley California.

Tesla makes the most American car on the planet (and the best)
Teslas are a joke. They are made for rich people with subisidies paid by the rest of us. Elon Musk is laughing at the US government that writes him checks for millions so that he can play with his other toys. They get more than they should since Teslas are only selling 1 to the 6000 sold by other manufacturers.

Old 11-27-2018, 02:57 PM

9,727 posts, read 9,738,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Exactly what subsidies are we giving to GM?
GM was getting subsidies for every Chevy Volt sold thanks to Obama. The cars cost over $40K to manufacture but had to be sold in the mid $30K range to be competitive to the better performing rivals. That doesn't include the tax deduction buyers were able to take on the Federal return for buying one.

Old 11-27-2018, 02:57 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,792,370 times
Quote:
Wrong. They make the battery packs in Nevada and the software engineers and assembly happens near silicon valley California.

Think Toyota gives them a run for the money in terms of a car built in the US, using US parts.

US auto manufacturers, not so much.

Old 11-27-2018, 03:07 PM

52,430 posts, read 26,678,767 times
Quote:

From the Tesla Model 3 Window Sticker...
  • US Canadian Parts - 50%
  • Major sources of Foreign Parts Content Mexico - 25%
So significantly less than many other vehicles produced in the USA. Currently it costs the US Taxpayers at least $7,500 each time one of these is sold. Some states no doubt provide tax subsidies too.

Old 11-27-2018, 03:14 PM

10,093 posts, read 5,745,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
America needs to face facts.
GM is yesterday's news.
They, and in the very near future, other"American" auto makers will be yesterday's news.

Americans are NOT buying American vehicles, and that is because there are no more truly "American" vehicles.
Show me, in the last 15 or so years one, JUST ONE, truly made, and assembled vehicle, and all it's components, that was manufactured in America, by an America owned company.

Tesla comes to mind, but I am sure many of the components in their cars, are made by companies outside the United States.

There aren't any, and we have ourselves to blame for all of this.

We were persuaded in the early sixties that foreign vehicles was the way to go, and the foreign manufactures took advantage of that, while American quality, and craftsmanship, took a nosedive.
Nobody to blame but ourselves.
China has taken over, and they are ahead of us in every aspect.

The sad part is, we "gave them the technology years ago, and now, they have beat the hell out of us, and we let it happen.

Bob.
I won't buy American. Sad to say, but it's the American cars that I usually see at the car mechanic. I've only drove Toyotas and they have never given me any problems. GM sucks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies