Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2018, 08:12 AM

20,150 posts, read 9,036,439 times

Advertisements

it's a public nuisance, the police should close it down

Old 11-30-2018, 08:24 AM

14,483 posts, read 11,293,665 times
I like Christmas lights but I wouldn’t want to live near him either. He needs to be respectful of his neighborhood.

Old 11-30-2018, 08:32 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,780,510 times
I am as agnostic as they come and LOVE Christmas decorations and music.

I could easily become one of “those” houses if I lived in a neighborhood that goes all out for the holidays. I could not imagine being the one and only because of the toll on my neighbors and community.

Dryker Hts, in Brooklyn, is one of those neighborhoods in the US that goes all out for the holidays. More than 100,000 visitors decend on just a few blocks over a 6 week period. There are bus tours of the area. Visitors park in people’s driveways and/ or block neighbor’s driveways.garbage and public urination. Property damage. This goes on till 1:00 AM on weekends.

Then there’s the 110 year old Newport Beach 5 Day Christmas Boat parade and Balboa Island decorating which persists for the entire month of December. This attracts 7 million people over 5 weeks.

It is not lost on most viewers/ appreciators, like me, the potential safety issues that these displays presents to a neighborhood/ community.

People who prefer not to get into it/ are disturbed by traffic congestion associated with it, don’t live in communities/ neighborhoods that are known for over the top displays.

Sounds to me like the guy in Old Bridge is a one off. The decorating has not caught on. The majority of the community does not engage in over the top decorating. Living near a house blasting seasonal music all nigh long for weeks on end is not something most aspire to. And yet, the town and thus the people, fund safety measures.

Old 11-30-2018, 08:39 AM

10,920 posts, read 6,918,442 times
Where is this so called war on Christmas?

Old 11-30-2018, 08:50 AM

19,824 posts, read 9,381,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
Actually, I don't think it is as much a war on Christmas as it is a war on Garishness -- and where do I enlist?

(Just kidding. I do believe in a person's right to self-expression, but sometimes that belief is severely tested.)

8,387 posts, read 4,374,196 times
I think one has to be responsible for their actions.

In this case, one house has established a pageant, a theatrical style event, that draws a large crowd. If this were at an arena or stadium, the event holder would be responsible for providing security and safety of the attendees within reason.

In this case, pedestrians and automotive traffic are blocking roads, resulting in congestion that severely limits access to fire, police and EMS to neighboring homes should they be needed. Access and egress to the homes are limited to the residents as well. Access to a public residence or business is always a priority and should never be limited when ever possible.

In this case the home owners who have literally spent hundreds of thousands of dollars on a display should also be responsible for the cost incurred by the town to maintain public safety.

There are other factors such as permits that are normally required for public gatherings such as parades or concerts. Any kind of large gathering has inherent risks and safety concerns that are routinely addressed by issuing permits. The fact that it is specifically a 'Christmas' display is not a factor. The fact that it draws thousands of people into a concentrated space is a factor.

4,034 posts, read 2,721,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
Between the OP's ears.

Old 11-30-2018, 08:54 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,398,118 times
"War on Christmas"

Old 11-30-2018, 08:56 AM

10,033 posts, read 15,687,275 times
OP, nowhere in the article or the video does it mention that it was a Jewish neighbor that complained. What gave you that idea?

Old 11-30-2018, 08:58 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,780,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post

Btw, I do wonder how many of those supposed admirers are there just to gawk or to please their VERY young children, as I don't think that many adults would actually like that kind of thing. (But maybe I'm wrong about that.)

P.S. I think it is stories like this are why many people like HOAs.
Some of us never grow up. I am one of those adult gawkers. Heck, I often check out neighborhoods by myself because my husband can only take so much of my obsession with holiday decorations. LED lighting and computerized sound movement displays have been game changers. People into this stuff tend to trend bigger, louder and longer each year.

The situation in Old Bridge is not HOA related.

I live in a single family HOA with no rules as it relates to private property. No one goes over the top. The municipality requires a permit / fee and limits hours for outdoor amplification of sound any time of year. Thus, there are no audible holiday decorations in the entire town.

I am aware of one gated HOA in an adjacent town that allows a single over the top audible display every other year. The hours are very limited and one needs to know the name of the homeowner to gain access. This keeps evening traffic to hundreds a night instead of thousands. These homes are also on multiple acres so there is some buffer room.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.