Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2018, 05:22 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,736,880 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJmann View Post
What’s so funny is that hanukkah is a minority holiday that for the past few decades has increased in popularity to have something for jews to celebrate not to be “alone” and “inclusive” in the Christmas & Holiday season. In favt in Israel it’s barely celebrated at all. Yom Kippur and Rosh Hashanah are the biggest holidays. Hanukkah is a refular workday even for orthodox jews.
Hey genius, care to guess how many Americans actually see christmas as a religious holiday?

About half of those who even celebrate it. Based on your "reasoning" above its not even a particularly religious holiday here.

Oh and the best part, only 1/3 of people who celebrate christmas are bothered by its loss of religiousity they way you are.

https://www.osv.com/Article/TabId/49...s-eroding.aspx

Old 12-01-2018, 05:23 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,736,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
What a bunch of grinches here. It's for few weeks once a year. You just can't give a little.

This is more squeeze on tradition and the middle class. We know critics don't like "those" people and their habits. A wild guess that the neighborhood is gentrifying.
Old Bridge is not gentrifying.

Old 12-01-2018, 07:07 AM

8,104 posts, read 3,961,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
I do think it's selfish to put on this kind of display.

As for one neighbor, this is what the article states:

Complaints. I doubt that was from one or two people.

The homeowner said it wasn't a problem "...until a couple of neighbors complained."

I'm not buying it. Most neighbors would have a problem with 650 people in their neighborhood each day for weeks no matter how much they enjoyed the display.
I think we can take the same approach to this some people do with protesters blocking the street causing traffic jams and delaying people from getting where they need to go.

Old 12-01-2018, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
Easy to say when it's not you who can't get out of your driveway at night because of the wall to wall cars. And if there was an emergency, what then? No joy or happiness if an ambulance can't get to your house because your next door neighbor needs his big, obscene display.

The town is asking him to pay for the security that his display is requiring. Why is that unfair? Why should everyone else foot the bill for his display?
If I had people blocking my driveway, I would wire the horn in my car to stay on until someone called the cops and tell them the neighbor is disturbing the peace more than me.

Old 12-01-2018, 07:22 AM

18,466 posts, read 15,253,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
So you hate jews....we get it already. You could post about something else already.
In most states, there are very few Jews. He could live in most of the country and never have to interact with a Jewish person again.

Yet he chooses to live in an area with one of the highest populations of Jews, in the world.

He is either a very wacky person, or he is playing us.

Old 12-01-2018, 07:49 AM

1,261 posts, read 567,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
In most states, there are very few Jews. He could live in most of the country and never have to interact with a Jewish person again.

Yet he chooses to live in an area with one of the highest populations of Jews, in the world.

He is either a very wacky person, or he is playing us.
I don’t have issues with any religious minority at all, in fact I have Jewish friends that I hang out with and interact with Jews all the time. What makes my blood boil and upsets me is the Anti-Christianity by many of the Jews. They take advantage of the Establishment Clause and wants to shovel their religious and culture down in our throats of the majority and many more loyal to Israel than America. Thankfully Muslims have no issues with Christmas and its decorations at all, neither do any other religious minorities besides the Jews and atheists.

Jews are the one’s who challenged the blue laws, religious public displays and Christian holidays at the courts. Thank God they lost

Old 12-01-2018, 07:57 AM

18,983 posts, read 9,078,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J746NEW View Post
If I had people blocking my driveway, I would wire the horn in my car to stay on until someone called the cops and tell them the neighbor is disturbing the peace more than me.
When they are bumper to bumper down the street there is no place for them to go. There are driveways for every house on the block. People driving down the street do not leave space at each driveway at every house to allow people to get out. They have to muscle their way out, and then sit in that long line of bumper to bumper traffic, inching along at a snails pace, before they can get off their own block.

Blaring your horn would accomplish what to alleviate that, exactly?

But hey, let's not inconvenience the boor who feels his rights are more important than everyone else's.

Old 12-01-2018, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
When they are bumper to bumper down the street there is no place for them to go. There are driveways for every house on the block. People driving down the street do not leave space at each driveway at every house to allow people to get out. They have to muscle their way out, and then sit in that long line of bumper to bumper traffic, inching along at a snails pace, before they can get off their own block.

Blaring your horn would accomplish what to alleviate that, exactly?

But hey, let's not inconvenience the boor who feels his rights are more important than everyone else's.
It would not alleviate the traffic right away but it might if I had the horn on everyday he has his display up. Eventually the neighbor will get tired of hearing the horn blare in his ear as much as other neighbors have gotten tired of the traffic jams he is creating..

Old 12-01-2018, 08:06 AM

7,934 posts, read 8,593,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
So you hate jews....we get it already. You could post about something else already.
Only when they're stirring up trouble (which is practically always)

Old 12-01-2018, 08:11 AM

7,934 posts, read 8,593,400 times
If he is not making any money doing this then he should be left alone assuming most of his neighbors don't have a problem with it. 1 or 2 complainers who probably have a religious or ethnic pretext for their protests can deal with it for a few weeks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies