Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2018, 10:48 PM

9,981 posts, read 5,684,706 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
There's only two people on this thread who really cares about this point. You're one of them and the other one has put you on his ignore list.
You care enough to keep tossing in your two cents. If you want the fire to go out, stop adding kindling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2018, 10:49 PM

11,122 posts, read 5,593,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PuppiesandKittens View Post
Freight railroads have lots of extra locomotives these days due to a downturn in business.
I live 350 yards away from the Pacific Coast Main Rail Line. I have a small set of shelves on the front wall of my house, that holds numerous small figurines. These items wiggle their way outward from the wall, at a rate exactly proportional to the number and length of freight trains traveling by and vibrating them. This also provides a gauge of the level of business and production in general. Nowadays, if I don't move them back at least once every two days, they fall to the floor. In 2009, I only had to do it every four days.

Old 12-03-2018, 03:24 AM

1,279 posts, read 853,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
I live 350 yards away from the Pacific Coast Main Rail Line. I have a small set of shelves on the front wall of my house, that holds numerous small figurines. These items wiggle their way outward from the wall, at a rate exactly proportional to the number and length of freight trains traveling by and vibrating them. This also provides a gauge of the level of business and production in general. Nowadays, if I don't move them back at least once every two days, they fall to the floor. In 2009, I only had to do it every four days.
Correct. Railroads have closed some less-used lines, leading to more traffic on those that remain.

Old 12-03-2018, 05:29 AM

17,005 posts, read 12,595,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
It makes no sense to me, really. I could see taking an older locomotive out of service and repaint it, but a locomotive built in 2005 was probably two million dollars. It's always been rumored that the engine would be used when Bush 41 passed away on a funeral train. It's kinda macabre if that it why it was stored. Not to mention where it was stored.
With the decline in coal traffic (mostly because), there is a surplus of locomotives. Ive heard third hand our locomotive builders are having deep deep trouble.

Old 12-03-2018, 11:02 AM

7,511 posts, read 4,355,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
With the decline in coal traffic (mostly because), there is a surplus of locomotives. Ive heard third hand our locomotive builders are having deep deep trouble.
That's probably because they last for so long and are overhauled during their lifespan. Their diesel engines and generators/alternators are also used in industrial applications. Because of their size it's probably more practical to just overhaul them as things wear out than replacing the entire unit. Locomotives are of modular construction making it easier and more cost affective to just replace an entire component when it's no longer repairable. I'm just guessing but with a steam engine if something major were to break it would probably be more practical to just order a new locomotive? I've heard it once said: That if a diesel had a problem it took all day to find it and an hour to fix it, whereas on a steam engine it took an hour to find the problem and all day to fix it.

I've been in the antique car hobby for most of my life, both owning and restoring them. As long as parts are available, technically you can probably keep them running forever. But locomotives are not like cars in that the public doesn't anticipate next years models. It's my guess that the railroads are more interested in fuel efficiency, that would be their main concern in purchasing a new locomotive. Also being able to pay for itself in the shortest period of time.

That's just one of the reasons why GE came out with their 12 cylinder ES44AC to replace the AC4400CW which had a 16 cylinder engine, both have the same amount of horsepower, but the 12 cylinder engine is more fuel efficient. EMD's two stroke diesels went from superchargers to turbochargers which increased their fuel efficiency. Superchargers are gear driven, turbochargers are exhaust driven. They also went from DC traction motors to AC which also saves on fuel. Just like cars no longer use a generator as alternators are smaller, lighter and more efficient.

The diesel engines themselves really haven't changed that much since the 2nd World War and are used to power diesel electric submarines.

I would think that as components wear out on some of the older locomotives that the railroads would just upgrade those locomotives with modern components? Other than buying a brand new locomotive?

As you say, if there's a decline in rail traffic there is no need for any more units, with a lot of the current one's just sitting around. If that was to change the demand for new locomotives would have to increase.

Old 12-03-2018, 07:09 PM

15,713 posts, read 9,525,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
We've discussed this already. Locomotives are not getting stored in large numbers. Some railroads are actually having to lease locomotives from leasing copanies because they need more of them. Other railroads are rebuilding older locomotives instead of retiring them because they need more power.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex New Yorker View Post
I would think that as components wear out on some of the older locomotives that the railroads would just upgrade those locomotives with modern components? Other than buying a brand new locomotive?
That's exactly what is happening. Also, sometimes railroads sell their old locomotives to leasing companies who then turn around and lease them out to other railroads. And a lot of older locomotives find their way to smaller railroads. Every locomotive on my hometown shortline except for one used to be on a bigger railroad. The one that was bought new was bought in 1965.

Old 12-16-2018, 12:51 AM

This is the best shot I have seen of the funeral train. They had such crappy weather, but look at that crowd! Kevin Andrusia PHOTO

RailPictures.Net Photo: UP 4141 Union Pacific EMD SD70ACe at College Station, Texas by Kevin Andrusia

Old 11-08-2019, 02:37 PM

I am watching a live Facebook post where Union Pacific is announcing the UP 4141 George H.W. Bush locomotive will go on permanent display at the Bush 41 Presidential Library. It is about to go out on a train lead by the Big Boy steam engine UP 4014. This would be way cool to see iff I were in Texas and not in South Carolina

Odd reading my posts about the downturn in the railroading industry. Pretty sure my account was hacked back then!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies