Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2018, 09:45 AM

24,495 posts, read 17,239,538 times

Advertisements

My brother in law was over for a visit a few weeks back, he is Irish and he doesn't understand our politics.

He can't stand Trump and he thought Hillary was a lousy candidate.

He doesn't understand that out of millions of intelligent people that were certainly qualified America had to make a decision between 2 bad choices.

I responded that the thing is we do have many people with outstanding credentials but they are busy making lots of money in the private sector and they are happy there. Why would they want to give up their lucrative positions to throw themselves into the public sector where they would be criticized and scrutinized for everything they do?

Trump is a business man first and like many men and women of his financial stature they have had their ups and downs, their hits and misses in the business world.

Today Trump is being accused of all sorts of things for his failed attempt to build a Trump tower in Moscow. Trump is a real estate investor at heart and it makes sense for him to at least try to expand his holdings to other countries. I'm sure his dream would be to have a Trump tower in every major city round the world. Trump is now being accused of being beholden to rich Russians due to his attempts to expand his dealings in their country.

If we think back to the highly educated, highly successful man or woman working in the private sector what could possibly inspire them, especially if they are Republicans to give up their positions to serve their country and be dragged through the mud and have every aspect of their lives put under a microscope for all to see?

If we want the best people to apply for the job of President I can't imagine anyone willing to accept the scrutiny and criticism that will be leveled at them.

Obama got his share of criticism from the Right but what Trump has had to endure from the Left and their media since the day he announced he was running has been unprecedented.

Why would any successful person expose themselves to that abuse which means that for the foreseeable future we will have either a career politician to choose from or a person from the private sector that is wiling to stick his neck out like Trump did.

Will a smart successful international business person be able to run for office at all IF they had any dealings in foreign countries?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2018, 09:52 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,820,712 times
I sure hope so. Our previous presidents, who were businessmen prior to presidency, screwed our economy up royally and Trump is on the same course.

Among these presidents were Hoover and both Bushes.

Donald Trump and 6 Other Businessmen Who Were President | Time

Old 12-02-2018, 09:57 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,965,617 times
Once again, you have mistaken a government for a business, as have most Trump voters. They assumed incorrectly that a businessman would know how to run a government. The two are not at all alike.

Old 12-02-2018, 10:04 AM

18,983 posts, read 9,078,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Once again, you have mistaken a government for a business, as have most Trump voters. They assumed incorrectly that a businessman would know how to run a government. The two are not at all alike.
As this president has aptly proved.

Old 12-02-2018, 10:06 AM

34,300 posts, read 15,656,546 times
Quote:

Admittedly it takes some adjustment.
Business is a host and government is a parasite.
Once the adjustments are made and the instincts/rules of the parasite are understood they can be better controlled. Its best to deal with them before they get to the size of a large dinosaur. They tend to stomp you're guts instead of just crawling around in them.

Old 12-02-2018, 10:08 AM

4,150 posts, read 3,906,215 times
Actually, I think it is the beginning. Maybe Mark Cuban and the facebook dude when he gets a little older might be candidates. I'm sure others might run too now that they know it is possible to win as Trump did.

Old 12-02-2018, 10:15 AM

13,303 posts, read 7,872,015 times
I didn't like that black pizza ceo guy to be any good kind of a president.

I don't think of Trump as a CEO type of person.

Trump scrapes (skims), and eats, the tops of his pizza and throws the crust (scraps) away. (eat your scraps, and you're a conservative)

CEOs are tribe-runners and are supported by ass kissing tribalists (syckinfants).

And, take Hillary for instance, she's a sieve of leaks.

My car was leaking from everywhere until I finally got all of the leak-causers repaired. (damn near had to rebuild the car for it)

Last edited by Hyperthetic; 12-02-2018 at 10:41 AM..

Old 12-02-2018, 10:17 AM

27,624 posts, read 21,129,736 times
Quote:
And Trump is a crappy businessman anyway.

Old 12-02-2018, 10:18 AM
JRR

8,166 posts, read 5,662,692 times
I would be open to having another businessperson as a candidate, if they were the type of person who knows what they don't know. One of my biggest issues with Trump (and I have several) is that the does not seem to have to capacity to understand the job that he has. And to compound that, he seems to have no interest in increasing his knowledge. I would feel a whole lot better about him if he would acknowledge his shortcomings and work at improving his understanding. Then he could get to work changing some things.

Old 12-02-2018, 10:20 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,678,698 times
There are at minimum two types of American "businessmen". I have met and worked with both.

One definition is someone who will do ANYTHING for money, i.e. "I don't care about not declaring that cash or the other stuff - I'm a BUSINESSMAN".....meaning, basically, you have no morals and ethics and will sell yourself and anyone else out for personal gain (or assumed personal gain).

The other type of Business Person is a self-made person who has played the game by the rules and then applied the same consistency and morality to life itself.
Warren Buffet
Micheal Bloomberg
etc....

The second types could make excellent Presidents as they have massive intelligence and common sense along with caring for humanity, the environment and due process. The first type? Well, that's GW Bush and Trump and the like....born with silver spoons, no experience in large systems and not enough raw intelligence and common sense to run a mom and pop shop, let alone a country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies