Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2018, 08:25 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,758,281 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokinouta View Post
It was, and it's just another big disappointment! It seems neither party knows how to take care of this country. Dems and Repubs when polled just want some affordable fricken healthcare. I guess that's a NO.
And yet 75% of us are overweight/obese and substantially more vulnerable to Diabetes 2, heart disease, high BP, stroke, joint deterioration, and some Cancers.

The average cost to treat Diabetes 2 and resulting complications is approaching $10.000/year. According to the CDC, more than 100 million people in the US are Diabetic or pre Diabetic.

We literally want our cake and to it eat, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2018, 08:26 AM

18,983 posts, read 9,080,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
The individual mandate is history, effective 2019.

You once again have the right to not insure your healthcare risks.

If that is your choice I sincerely hope you do not experience and accident, become a victim of a violent crim or find yourself with symptoms that require medical attention.
These are the real leeches, because when they do experience one of the above--and just about every human will at some point or another--they will expect to be taken care of even though they refused to insure themselves.

People using the ACA are willing to pay for insurance because they desperately WANT insurance and before the ACA they had no other means to get it. That's called being responsible.

Old 12-03-2018, 08:27 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,024,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
So, you have to pay 8K before your insurer pays a dime, wow, what a deal. And how much are those monthly premiums?
HEre's the alternative -- no insurance so you get zero. That could end up being way more than 8K

Old 12-03-2018, 08:30 AM

18,983 posts, read 9,080,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
The ONLY people who like it are those that are getting it subsidized. But their tune will change when they have to fork out that huge deductible.
I can pay down an $8,000 deductible. It would be near impossible for me to pay down a hospital bill of hundreds of thousands of dollars. Which was what people without insurance were faced with all the time pre-ACA.

It's obscene that people go bankrupt due to medical costs. And we're the only civilized place in the world where that still routinely happens. It's not something we should be proud of.

Old 12-03-2018, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Bell View Post
Exceptions to the rule:

Fire Subscription Services: A Legal and Moral Conundrum
"Today, most rural areas continue to struggle with this funding problem, and we are attempting to find creative ways to solve this problem. It does not look like we have progressed much since the days of the fire mark, and even the insurance companies have stopped paying for these services."

Arizona Firefighters Charge Family Nearly $20,000 After Home Burns Down
"Justin Purcell said he was shocked by the bill and did not understand why he was receiving it, considering he and other local residents pay a fire district assistance tax to help fund volunteer fire departments. However, that tax, he soon learned, does not cover Rural Metro Fire Department because it is an independent agency."

This (government plan) began with a tax collected for Social Security (retirement plan) and Medicare (health care in retirement years). What else do we want the federal government to (tax) mandate its citizens to purchase before we say they've gone to far into our earnings? I'm just curious if there is a stopping point anytime in the near future.
Per the link, " this family, like many others, elected not to pay their annual fire service bill- roughly about $290/year.

Old 12-03-2018, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
Way to go for cherrypicking corner cases....

There are exceptions to EVERYTHING.. and I mean everything. Most of us don't fall under those categories and the cost of police and fire department are covered by tax dollars... mandatory tax dollars.

Again.. read my posts. If you want optional health care insurance, then like all businesses the hospitals should be able to deny services. The line is drawn were we are able to tolerate denial of services. Me personally, I'm ok with letting people die on the streets if they didn't do diligence to be responsible.

What you want is what we have already.... Don't touch my income but I demand goods/services. That only leads to rise in costs for everyone who actually do pay.

I'm ok with optional OR mandatory health care insurance as long as hospitals' obligations coincide....
I understand what you are saying and in theory, agree. Then there is the practical aspect. How exactly do first responders and a hospital determine if an individual has adequate insurance or the financial ability to pay for service, before service?

Old 12-03-2018, 08:36 AM

33,316 posts, read 12,534,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
You can bet that there will be a bunch of Obamacare haters saying you are the exception, but the numbers tell a different story. The bottom line is, they really don't give a damn about you and your personal situation, they only care that their own premiums have gone up.

Thank you for having the courage to come out and tell your side of it, a story that about 21 million others can also relate to.
And you don't care because you don't have the same 'dog in the hunt' that people under 65 do. You're on Medicare.

Old 12-03-2018, 08:37 AM

7,103 posts, read 5,987,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AguaDulce View Post
You don't see how I'm a WASP? Or you don't see how my share of my monthly premium is less than $1.00?
The monthly premium. If your income is too low, you don't qualify for Obamacare, mind sharing what your household looks like? Perhaps I can twerk the numbers to get a lower premium. Mines $775 per month with a 9k deductible last I checked for 2019.

Old 12-03-2018, 08:38 AM

30,374 posts, read 19,177,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
I can pay down an $8,000 deductible. It would be near impossible for me to pay down a hospital bill of hundreds of thousands of dollars. Which was what people without insurance were faced with all the time pre-ACA.

It's obscene that people go bankrupt due to medical costs. And we're the only civilized place in the world where that still routinely happens. It's not something we should be proud of.
I thought Obama fixed everything.

Old 12-03-2018, 08:38 AM

25,578 posts, read 17,298,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AguaDulce View Post
Just wanted to say that I am very thankful for it.

I had great health insurance for 25 years through my employer. After I moved to a different state and got a new job that couldn't offer me health insurance because of geographic limitations, my only affordable option was to enroll in an ACA plan. It worked out great for me. I make 17/hour and my monthly premium is under $1.00. The deductible is high ($8,000), but regular yearly doctor visits and mammograms are covered, and generic prescriptions are fairly reasonable.
You worked a job with benefits for 25 years and then moved to Milwaukee to take a 17$/Hr job without benefits?
Wow.
I just wouldn't have done that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies