Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2018, 04:46 AM

12,265 posts, read 6,470,672 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
You'll never live to see the end of coal use in this country..........
You`re correct but we`ll never live to see a coal comeback either. The 3,000 miles of dead streams in my state are reason enough to stop mining coal. We`re still treating mine acid discharges from mines that have been closed for 60-70 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2018, 07:39 AM

10,659 posts, read 10,726,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
Would that include all the power suppliers who are closing down coal plants and switching to natural gas?
No just one of the largest utility in the country........
And I build and operate intermediate load NG fired power plants. We're building them left and right but we'll run coal to at least 2050......

Old 12-07-2018, 07:47 AM

4,540 posts, read 2,768,093 times
I hate to state the obvious, but it apparently ain't obvious to millions of Americans:

Cheeto VonTinyhands makes populist noises that angry white people like to hear. And that's it... no follow-through of any substance.

Old 12-07-2018, 07:50 AM

4,540 posts, read 2,768,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmagoo View Post
You`re correct but we`ll never live to see a coal comeback either. The 3,000 miles of dead streams in my state are reason enough to stop mining coal. We`re still treating mine acid discharges from mines that have been closed for 60-70 years.
Same back where I grew up in Southern Appalachia. The mines in that area closed 35 years ago. In many areas the land is ruined for eons.

Old 12-07-2018, 08:14 AM

5,756 posts, read 3,997,659 times
Again the ignorance shows on this forum if it wasn't for coal you would be sick,cold and hungry ...
Every modern device [plastics],medicines,food preservatives,building materials,solvents all come from coal.
Right now the flat yard in Portsmouth Ohio has tracks full of coal,coke something that Obama didn't do ... I saw a loaded BNSF eastbound coal train from out west going to the old K.O.T plant NS rr runs where they blend coal to customers specification usually power plants.Very rare to see coal going east so something is going on.
Coal might be black and ugly to some but aren't diamonds formed from coal at high pressure so don't judge the cover read the book on coal.

Old 12-07-2018, 08:20 AM

5,756 posts, read 3,997,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkey-head View Post
Same back where I grew up in Southern Appalachia. The mines in that area closed 35 years ago. In many areas the land is ruined for eons.
Inez Kentucky they have an airport now due to mountain top removal and other developments that wouldn't ever occurred [4 lane highway thru the mountains].NS railroad land development group reclaimed land built a golf course but those days coal was still King Wolf Creek was a humming with diesel engines ...

Old 12-07-2018, 08:29 AM

3,458 posts, read 1,455,014 times
America is a large country with vast differences in population and industry so it's admittedly hard to do but I do hope we get someone in office one day that puts their priority on a clean America, electric cars, and solar.
After healthcare of course.

I think it's great that coal is on its way out. If we can find a transition for coal miners to something safer and easier that would be great. I understand how hard it is on cities who rely on coal mining.

Old 12-07-2018, 08:42 AM

12,265 posts, read 6,470,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokinouta View Post
America is a large country with vast differences in population and industry so it's admittedly hard to do but I do hope we get someone in office one day that puts their priority on a clean America, electric cars, and solar.
After healthcare of course.

I think it's great that coal is on its way out. If we can find a transition for coal miners to something safer and easier that would be great. I understand how hard it is on cities who rely on coal mining.
Community colleges in coal country usually offer free training for fracking jobs. Taking advantage of this makes more sense than sitting on one`s butt for 20 years waiting for a coal job.

Old 12-07-2018, 10:52 AM

12,716 posts, read 7,811,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post
I guess his dream of bringing coal "back" is just part of his overall dream of taking us backward overall. Back to the days of coat-hanger abortions, for instance.

It seems like most people today are obsessed with the 1950s and want to legislatively force the clock back. Fact of the matter is though, they cannot do that and all they are doing is irreversibly destroying our society and our economy.

Old 12-07-2018, 10:58 AM

309 posts, read 246,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dumbdowndemocrats View Post
Again the ignorance shows on this forum if it wasn't for coal you would be sick,cold and hungry ...
Every modern device [plastics],medicines,food preservatives,building materials,solvents all come from coal.
Right now the flat yard in Portsmouth Ohio has tracks full of coal,coke something that Obama didn't do ... I saw a loaded BNSF eastbound coal train from out west going to the old K.O.T plant NS rr runs where they blend coal to customers specification usually power plants.Very rare to see coal going east so something is going on.
Coal might be black and ugly to some but aren't diamonds formed from coal at high pressure so don't judge the cover read the book on coal.
No, diamonds don't form from coal:
https://geology.com/articles/diamonds-from-coal/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies