Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2018, 11:16 AM

17,797 posts, read 13,698,337 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGAalot View Post
Then we should make the most of coal while its still here.
Trump is correct to endorse coal.
Well we probably ought to use up the rest of the whale oil first. SMH
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2018, 11:22 AM

5,278 posts, read 6,214,639 times
I think Trumps economic policies could best be summed up by a meme of a orange rat chasing windmills...

Old 12-07-2018, 11:39 AM

10,659 posts, read 10,729,131 times
In case you're still convinced that coal fired power plants are going away tomorrow (I almost wish they would ) Even at the reduced numbers Coal still produced 1200 BILLION KW hours in this country while solar and wind only 258 billion. No way renewable will replace fossil fuels ever.

https://www.eia.gov/tools/faqs/faq.php?id=427&t=3

Old 12-07-2018, 11:54 AM

5,705 posts, read 3,672,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Looks like despite the efforts of His Orangeness and Rick Perry, coal ain't coming back.Only bright spot for the industry is exports, otherwise things are looking pretty grim. Coal fired power plants and mines are still continuing to close despite DT's rhetoric about bringing coal "back".https://www.cnn.com/2018/12/05/busin...ince-1979.html
Didn't someone just write a book that's called Everything Trump Touches Dies? Pretty apt.

Old 12-07-2018, 12:18 PM

5,984 posts, read 2,238,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
In case you're still convinced that coal fired power plants are going away tomorrow (I almost wish they would ) Even at the reduced numbers Coal still produced 1200 BILLION KW hours in this country while solar and wind only 258 billion. No way renewable will replace fossil fuels ever.

"Ever" is a strong statement, I'm sure stage coach owners thought the same thing. Coal use will continue but the industry is in decline. Additionally employment in the coal industry will continue to shrink. In 2016 a total of 53,051 people (executives and all) were employed in the coal industry, ARBY's employs more people. Coal use over time will continue to shrink, automation will continue reduce jobs.

https://www.eia.gov/coal/annual/

https://www.eia.gov/todayinenergy/detail.php?id=25392

Honestly I don't understand the fascination with coal. It's just like any other resource we use for energy, its a tool that unfortunately comes with a high total cost to the US. That cheap coal is not so cheap when you factor in the environmental cost (both production and use), cost to the health of coal workers (we the people are covering the disability and lung issues), and the cost of all this political effort to uplift a industry that employs less people than a fast food restaurant that sales fake meat. So use the coal but don't pretend its some magical rock we must all bow before.

Last edited by Daryl_G; 12-07-2018 at 12:21 PM.. Reason: Add sites

Old 12-07-2018, 12:50 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,678,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post
I guess his dream of bringing coal "back" is just part of his overall dream of taking us backward overall. Back to the days of coat-hanger abortions, for instance.
To quote the great one - "what do I care, I won't be around then".

Old 12-07-2018, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl_G View Post
"Ever" is a strong statement, I'm sure stage coach owners thought the same thing. Coal use will continue but the industry is in decline. Additionally employment in the coal industry will continue to shrink. In 2016 a total of 53,051 people (executives and all) were employed in the coal industry, ARBY's employs more people. Coal use over time will continue to shrink, automation will continue reduce jobs.

https://www.eia.gov/coal/annual/

https://www.eia.gov/todayinenergy/detail.php?id=25392

Honestly I don't understand the fascination with coal. It's just like any other resource we use for energy, its a tool that unfortunately comes with a high total cost to the US. That cheap coal is not so cheap when you factor in the environmental cost (both production and use), cost to the health of coal workers (we the people are covering the disability and lung issues), and the cost of all this political effort to uplift a industry that employs less people than a fast food restaurant that sales fake meat. So use the coal but don't pretend its some magical rock we must all bow before.
The fascination is with electricity! Everyday all day whenever I want it at 60Hz. Honestly I can't understand why people think wind and solar can do that.... As for your coal mine/ worker issues.............Most of our workers are from the Reservation. If they don't work at the mine they'll just go back to the Res and we'll give them money anyhow......

Old 12-07-2018, 12:52 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,678,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl_G View Post

Honestly I don't understand the fascination with coal.
The same praying to inefficient 100 watt light bulbs and to dirtier and less efficient cars, and to Hummers (when they were popular) and to everything else backwards, militaristic, dirty and/or that enriches resource extractors.

These people pray at the altar of waste and inefficiency. Know-nothings.

Since they ran out of real issues long ago, they have to find sound bites that sound good...and this was one of them.

Old 12-07-2018, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
The same praying to inefficient 100 watt light bulbs and to dirtier and less efficient cars, and to Hummers (when they were popular) and to everything else backwards, militaristic, dirty and/or that enriches resource extractors.

These people pray at the altar of waste and inefficiency. Know-nothings.

Since they ran out of real issues long ago, they have to find sound bites that sound good...and this was one of them.
Sometimes I really wish we'd get the order to shutdown every coal plant in the country. All at once. Just to see the Fecal matter hit the windmill

Old 12-07-2018, 07:35 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,911,642 times
Many reasons. Natural gas now more economical. Large business (and some homeowners) demanding green energy. Some States outlawing it. Young people not wanting to be coal miners. Not worth getting black lung at age 50.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies