Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2018, 09:51 PM

9,569 posts, read 5,624,170 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
https://www.chicksonright.com/youngc...H8Uqo0Z_WStKdU

"The Obama administration approved $310 million in free legal advice to young illegal immigrants despite federal law barring charging taxpayers for helping immigrants avoid deportation, according to a new report.
The Immigration Reform Law Institute said that the funding was provided to a top legal defense group to help unaccompanied alien children under the age of 18 land with a sponsor in the U.S.
In 2015 and 2016, contracts reviewed by IRLI showed that several worth $310 million went to one nonprofit legal group, the Vera Institute of Justice. A top director has ties to liberal philanthropist George Soros."

So don't expect for us to get out of debt soon----no way with this going on. Thanks Obama.
and who handed Obama $310 million?

Congress so go take it up with them.

Old 12-06-2018, 10:01 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,371,062 times
Quote:
Secret---not secret----it's still against the law. Worse if it's was known, then that means Obama could break the law for all to see and get away with it, but then he did that all the time.
Free legal advice is not against the law! That's crazy thinking!

It's not illegal to rent an office to be used for volunteers to give free legal advice either, nor is it illegal to pay for the telephones or whatever goes in that office.

It's not even illegal to hire lawyers at a flat rate to give legal advice for no fee. It's all part of voluntarism.

If the guy who's paying the bills doesn't demand payment for his good deeds, there are dozens of ways to spend the money on about any cause under the sun. There's not a single thing illegal about any kind of charity work anyone wants to undertake. And charity can be secret if the person want it that way.

Old 12-07-2018, 09:42 AM

15,754 posts, read 7,596,932 times
Quote:
https://www.chicksonright.com/youngc...H8Uqo0Z_WStKdU

"The Obama administration approved $310 million in free legal advice to young illegal immigrants despite federal law barring charging taxpayers for helping immigrants avoid deportation, according to a new report.
The Immigration Reform Law Institute said that the funding was provided to a top legal defense group to help unaccompanied alien children under the age of 18 land with a sponsor in the U.S.
In 2015 and 2016, contracts reviewed by IRLI showed that several worth $310 million went to one nonprofit legal group, the Vera Institute of Justice. A top director has ties to liberal philanthropist George Soros."

So don't expect for us to get out of debt soon----no way with this going on. Thanks Obama.
When Obama campaigned for office one of his promises/goals was to fund non profits all across the u.s. Now I don't know how all the inner workings of this goes, but I do know that Congress approved the budget that granted non profits a rather large sum of monies. The Vera Institute of Justice a non profit, stands to reason tapped into and received their contractual sum. Today the Vera Institute is also receiving funds from different states and cities across the u.s. (I know cause I looked that up)

imo this is an oxymoron with the Obama Administration and I will show you why I think that.

Center for Human Rights and Constitutional Law

Ninth Circuit Rules in Favor of Children Detained by DHS - July 7, 2016

"In responding to the Court's ruling CHRCL Executive Director, Peter Schey said, "We hope this decision by the Federal Court of Appeals convinces the Obama Administration that its policy of detaining immigrant mothers and children is inhumane and illegal and must come to an end. During the past two years this Administration has wasted over one hundred million dollars unnecessarily detaining thousands of refugee children commingled with unrelated adults in unlicensed secure facilities in violation of well-established child detention standards. This disgraceful policy should now be brought to an end by President Obama.""

It seems the past and present administrations were/are acting in violation of the Flores Agreement, but I'm thinking some people are not really caring about that.

PS: In other news ...
Long Beach creates long-awaited immigrant legal defense fund with Vera Institute of Justice

Last edited by Ellis Bell; 12-07-2018 at 10:20 AM..

Old 12-07-2018, 09:43 AM

4,559 posts, read 1,436,942 times
Do they work for him?

Old 12-07-2018, 09:59 AM

937 posts, read 927,698 times
...Nothing in that article stated "secretly"

The agency that suggested some contracts may be illegal is an explicit anti-immigration policy consulting firm...

Sooo... A good example of fake news that's actually fabricated?

Old 12-07-2018, 10:03 AM

24,495 posts, read 17,239,538 times
$310 million ? That is a drop in the bucket compared to the Billions that illegal aliens cost us all every year.

$310 million is nothing to our Government when they are spending our hard earned tax money.

I'm not surprised by this.

Old 12-07-2018, 10:09 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,706,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARaider08 View Post
...Nothing in that article stated "secretly"

The agency that suggested some contracts may be illegal is an explicit anti-immigration policy consulting firm...

Sooo... A good example of fake news that's actually fabricated?
I expect we'll see a lot more of these attempts at deflection as the list of indictments of those connected to the current occupant continues to grow.

Sad that anyone falls for them, but people will cling to any glimmer of hope in their attempts to salvage their faith and belief in the charlatan-in-chief.

Old 12-07-2018, 10:13 AM

46,961 posts, read 25,998,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
I expect we'll see a lot more of these attempts at deflection as the list of indictments of those connected to the current occupant continues to grow.

Sad that anyone falls for them, but people will cling to any glimmer of hope in their attempts to salvage their faith and belief in the charlatan-in-chief.
It's a pretty cheap trick - put an obvious and easily-found-out lie in the headline, and as people set the OP straight, the lie stays at the top of the forum. Of course, there are posters whom I'd hesitate to even call liars, inasmuch I don't think they have any concept of truth vs. non-truth at all.

I have encountered forums with the sort of integrity that would actually add a comment to a a headline found to be non-factual. Weirdly enough, none of them had such a right-wing bend as this one.

Old 12-07-2018, 10:20 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,270,262 times
Drain the swamp

Old 12-07-2018, 10:24 AM

15,088 posts, read 13,452,870 times
No to say I think illegal immigration should go un-checked. But I doubt this is the full story or that anything illegal actually occurred. That said, if I see credible major publications of all political stripes across the globe elaborating on the evidence, I will change my tune.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies