Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2018, 09:44 AM

13,480 posts, read 8,390,475 times

Advertisements

I heard someone say that police don't arrest innocent people and if someone's arrested that means they are guilty.

Is this a common belief in our society?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2018, 09:48 AM

15,713 posts, read 9,531,203 times
They arrest people they think are guilty. It's not hard to find examples of people who get arrested in even jailed and later found innocent. The person who said that is naive.

Old 12-08-2018, 09:52 AM

27,580 posts, read 28,687,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
I heard someone say that police don't arrest innocent people and if someone's arrested that means they are guilty.

If a police officer arrests somebody, chances are that person has already committed crimes on several previous occasions.

It's just that he wasn't caught until now. (Much like a driver who gets a speeding ticket.)

Old 12-08-2018, 09:54 AM

16,216 posts, read 11,343,520 times
My late Mom was not a very articulate speaker; when called for jury duty, she made the mistake of referring to a defendant as "the one who did it" during voir dire; needless to say, she was not seated.

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 12-08-2018 at 10:04 AM..

Old 12-08-2018, 09:55 AM

18,470 posts, read 15,259,695 times
I believe the vast majority are guilty. That is why I would make a terrible juror.

They do deserve a fair trial though.

Old 12-08-2018, 09:57 AM

18,470 posts, read 15,259,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
My late Mom was not a very articulate person; when called for jury duty, she made the mistake of referring to a defendant as "the one who did it", during voir dire; needless to say, she was not seated.
Ha. I was posting my post before yours showed up. I guess I am like your mom in that respect.

Old 12-08-2018, 11:37 AM

19,724 posts, read 10,135,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
If a police officer arrests somebody, chances are that person has already committed crimes on several previous occasions.

It's just that he wasn't caught until now. (Much like a driver who gets a speeding ticket.)
Many innocent people are arrested. You should never be on a jury.

Old 12-08-2018, 11:51 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,612,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post

This is the problem today...too many people trust police!

The old excuse... "if police had enough to arrest them, they must be guilty"...GEEZ!

Old 12-08-2018, 02:41 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,177,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post

Unfortunately, yes. Police often arrest and release for lack of evidence.

You need only watch Dateline to see that police arrest a person, then discover that person could not have committed the crime, then move on to arrest the real person who actually committed the crime.

Arrest warrants, as all warrants, are based on probable cause, not proof beyond a reasonable doubt.

Another level of protection is the gran or petit jury, which will determine if there is sufficient evidence for a trial. If there is insufficient evidence, the gran or petit jury will not return a bill of indictment. Most judges will grant an order to release the defendant at that point. It's probably best then to expand your investigation to look at alternative suspects.

Many police put way too much credence in motive, which leads to false arrests. It's best to gather and review evidence, then let the evidence lead to you possible motives, which will narrow down the field of suspects. Unfortunately, many police create a motive first, then seek evidence to support the motive. That is a logical fallacy known as bias confirmation and it results in innocent people arrested, and often wrongly convicted for crimes they didn't commit.

Old 12-08-2018, 02:54 PM

24,502 posts, read 17,250,696 times
If there is enough cause a Police officer might detain you or even arrest you until enough evidence comes in as in details provided by bystanders.

There are many innocent people that get arrested for simply being in the wrong place at the wrong time and most of the time the truth is found out in court and they are set free.

Cops are human and they make mistakes but luckily in this country (unless you are a Republican in office) you are innocent until proven guilty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies