Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2018, 12:12 PM

46,289 posts, read 27,099,738 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by subaru5555 View Post
Oh? How’d you hear about it then? Some right-wing talk-show host?

Because the entire basis for that talking point is a 1970’s Newsweek short article.

I know its hard for some, but I do research...

It still does not negate the fact of what I said earlier. No matter how much you stomp your feet.

Old 12-12-2018, 12:16 PM

3,321 posts, read 1,100,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
I know its hard for some, but I do research...

It still does not negate the fact of what I said earlier. No matter how much you stomp your feet.
How’s this for research:

Quote:
How the "Global Cooling" Story Came to Be
Nine paragraphs written for Newsweek in 1975 continue to trump 40 years of climate science. It is a record that has its author amazed.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...ry-came-to-be/

What “you said earlier” is incorrect. Sorry to break it to you like this.

Old 12-12-2018, 12:19 PM

25,849 posts, read 16,528,639 times
Seems the good lord in his wisdom is providing more living space on this planet for the 7 billion residents.

We do not affect this planet on a global scale. We are just smart apes running for cover.

Old 12-12-2018, 12:27 PM

46,289 posts, read 27,099,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subaru5555 View Post
How’s this for research:

https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...ry-came-to-be/

What “you said earlier” is incorrect. Sorry to break it to you like this.

Great, thanks for the article...
Still does not negate the fact of what I said earler...no matter who started it....it started as global cooling (who cares who started it) then global warming....then climate change....

Quote:
Advise the President on domestic implementation of policy options to reduce greenhouse gas emissions. The Council should not debate the science of global warming [emphasis added], but should instead focus on the implementation of national and local greenhouse gas reduction policies and activities, and adaptations in the U.S. economy and society that maximize environmental and social benefits, minimize economic impacts, and are consistent with U.S. international agreements. The Council should, at a minimum, identify and encourage potentially replicable examples of reductions in greenhouse gas emissions across diverse sectors and levels of society.

Quote:
TIME magazine’s January 31, 1977 cover featured a story, “How to Survive The Coming Ice Age.” It included “facts” such as scientists predicting that Earth’s so-called average temperature could drop by 20 degrees Fahrenheit due to manmade global cooling.

https://www.energycentral.com/c/ec/h...cooling-global

Old 12-12-2018, 12:33 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,120,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Seems the good lord in his wisdom is providing more living space on this planet for the 7 billion residents.

We do not affect this planet on a global scale. We are just smart apes running for cover.
Individual humans are the smart apes running for cover, my friend.
The deniers are the ones that don’t want to recognize the fact that it is happening, and we need to prepare. Build on higher ground. Reduce emissions, even if means redirecting some of our foreign aid. Solar ovens in Africa would reduce the amount of wood and coal burned in many countries on that continent. And birth control. We are out- breeding some area’s ability to support us.

This topic should not even be political. I love my kid. Bet you do as well. Let us try to ensure their survival.

Old 12-12-2018, 12:35 PM

18,449 posts, read 8,275,501 times
The global cooling scare came about because the most credible global temperature atmospheric research groups...at the time...said so

This is the temperature graph produced by NCAR..... National Center for Atmospheric Research.... Colorado

https://realclimatescience.com/wp-co...4_shadow-1.png

This is the temperature graph produced by JAS....Journal of Atmospheric Sciences

https://4k4oijnpiu3l4c3h-zippykid.ne..._1950-1970.png

The temperature graph produced by Kelly

http://notrickszone.com/wp-content/u...Kelly-1982.jpg

The temperature graph from the National Academy of Science...

https://stevengoddard.files.wordpres...pg?w=640&h=334

Old 12-12-2018, 12:38 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,140,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post

More living space, huh?

There is no land underneath the arctic. It's a floating ice sheet, which when melted, will wipe out many coastal areas throughout the world, which is where people tend to settle.

Good thing he's a good lord, because he certainly isn't a good engineer.

Old 12-12-2018, 01:28 PM

10,659 posts, read 10,727,332 times
Ok and now what? Come on, tell me exactly what you are going to do about this and how your going to pay for it?

Old 12-12-2018, 01:30 PM

10,681 posts, read 6,115,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
More living space, huh?

There is no land underneath the arctic. It's a floating ice sheet, which when melted, will wipe out many coastal areas throughout the world, which is where people tend to settle.

Good thing he's a good lord, because he certainly isn't a good engineer.
Actually, the ice has to be on land to cause flooding. Because that is extra water. If the ice is in the water it is already part of the mass.

Old 12-12-2018, 01:32 PM

10,681 posts, read 6,115,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
Ok and now what? Come on, tell me exactly what you are going to do about this and how your going to pay for it?
At this point, prepare for the worst
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies