Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2018, 12:08 PM

62,959 posts, read 29,141,740 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
Oh, get over yourself. Your comments are entirely baseless - just like every useless word out of Trump's mouth.

No matter how big or long the wall, human ingenuity will prevail. I've heard enough from Republican Congressional Representatives from border states on C-Span over the past two years recite in detail the overhype on the wall. They appear on Washington Journal regularly, often for up to an hour - one on one with the host and viewer. To summarize, the possible benefits of the wall do not outweigh the cost. The wall will be a disappointment should it finally be built.

I did hear part of a border patrol person's testimony before Congress last week in which she stated when chasing perps, the wall/barrier will enhance capture - but not much favoring the wall as an effective deterrent to illegal entry.

Overall, I'm very skeptical, based on comments from border state Representatives, on the efficacy of the wall. These people will always find a way.

I'm opposed to illegal immigration - but the wall isn't going to be of very much help.

No, you and yours need to get over your anti-wall BS! Facts have been provided to you over and over in here how the wall would be cost effective and that they are very effective yet you completely ignore that. Why is that? It was congress that approved the wall back in 2006 so why didn't you b*tch at them back then? And it was absolutely to be covered by the taxpayer!

Finally, I refer you to my posts #369 and 371. But you'll just ignore the truth once again, won't you?

For you and yours that keep claiming that the wall would be big and ugly, then why don't you demand that Americans homes and businesses tear down their security walls? After all they are an eyesore, right? Much more important than our safety and security, right? Talk about screwed up priorities!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2018, 12:11 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,350,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
The ignorant ones are you and yours on this issue and I have explained why over and over in here. I guess congress back in 2006 was also ignorant to approve of this 700 mile long wall on the most porous areas of our border to? The point is also to force illegal aliens to try and enter at more dangerous and difficult areas so fewer will try and fewer will succeed. I guess that also escapes you and yours.
It is a Fence Act not a wall. The actual title was "Secure Fence Act of 2006"

It provided for a double chain link fence along the border. Poor OG cannot even read his own references.

It was modified in 2007 at the request of HSA to allow discretion on what fence was built where.

By May 2011, DHS reported completing 649 miles of fencing (99.5% of the 652 miles planned). The barrier was made up of 299 miles of vehicle barriers and 350 miles of pedestrian fence
Wikipedia

Old 12-16-2018, 12:16 PM

18,983 posts, read 9,075,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
It is a Fence Act not a wall. The actual title was "Secure Fence Act of 2006"

It provided for a double chain link fence along the border. Poor OG cannot even read his own references.

It was modified in 2007 at the request of HSA to allow discretion on what fence was built where.

By May 2011, DHS reported completing 649 miles of fencing (99.5% of the 652 miles planned). The barrier was made up of 299 miles of vehicle barriers and 350 miles of pedestrian fence
Wikipedia
Oldglory has already been told this again and again and again, ad nauseam. It makes no difference how many times you attempt to educate him, he simply refuses to hear it. He will simply repost the same old debunked links and talking points as if this was never pointed out to him.

By now his posts are like self-parody. I read them for their comedic value only. And on that front, they never disappoint.

Old 12-16-2018, 12:48 PM

5,315 posts, read 2,113,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
Oldglory has already been told this again and again and again, ad nauseam. It makes no difference how many times you attempt to educate him, he simply refuses to hear it. He will simply repost the same old debunked links and talking points as if this was never pointed out to him.

By now his posts are like self-parody. I read them for their comedic value only. And on that front, they never disappoint.
Yeah, I love the parts about parrots squawking and cotton between ears especially. Ironic.

There are far more efficient ways than The Wall. It's silly how people claim that anyone who doesnt want the wall must want open borders and have secret agendas and things.

Old 12-16-2018, 02:11 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,018,755 times
Quote:
The ignorant ones are you and yours on this issue and I have explained why over and over in here. I guess congress back in 2006 was also ignorant to approve of this 700 mile long wall on the most porous areas of our border to? The point is also to force illegal aliens to try and enter at more dangerous and difficult areas so fewer will try and fewer will succeed. I guess that also escapes you and yours.
A wall and a wire fence the same for you?

Really

And did you read up on the political climate. The Dems settled on that because they thought it was the best of evils at the time.

Now they don't want to settle.

We live in a dynamic world...things change, people change, issues, change.

Old 12-16-2018, 04:30 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,921,959 times
Quote:
Wrong on all accounts. First off illegal aliens cost us over $100 billion a year vs a $25 billion wall and I have posted numerous links proving that the good walls do work. So your wrong about both the costs and the effectiveness of the good walls.

Wrong see the economic studies below.

1. Those who don't want a wall on their properties can just deal with the drug cartels, illegal aliens etc. that would then just funnel through there properties. They'd will screaming for a wall in no time.

They have been living there for years and have not been calling for a wall. Two-thirds of the land is private or state-owned, much of it in Texas.

2. Did the Great Wall of China disrupt the environment and animal life? Should we be more concerned about animal life than the security and safety of human life? There is no wall proposed to build on difficult terrain it's for the most porous areas of our border.

He wants a wall along the entire 2000 border. And he just said he plans to ask the US military to build the wall.

3. We will always have legal ports of entry so I'm not understanding your point here.

We should use them.

4. See my opening remarks and Trump has a plan to make Mexico pay for it but if you can't see the tax savings on the wall over what illegal immigration costs us then you must have failed at math.

You are blowing smoke. There are no tax savings. Immigration both legal and illegal have a small net benefit for the economy.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Econom..._United_States

The belief that illegal migrants are exploiting the US economy and that they cost more in services than they contribute to the economy is "undeniably false"

5. Oh, I see so unless we can stop illegal immigration 100% we shouldn't try to stop as many as we can?

You don't need a wall to stop them. And illegal immigration has been going down for some time.

6. If our southern border were truly secure we wouldn't have 11 million illegal aliens here with more coming every day.

A rising share of unauthorized immigrants have lived in the U.S. for more than a decade. About two-thirds (66%) of unauthorized immigrant adults in 2016 had been in the U.S. more than 10 years, compared with 41% in 2007.

7. No such thing as an undocumented immigrant they are illegal aliens and if they aren't taking American jobs then whose jobs are they taking? They have flooded the construction and landscaping industries just for starters. Jobs that use to pay a fair wage to an American. Trump and the Republicans have been trying to pass e-verify for years now but the Democrats block it. Trump has it in his 2019 budget.

Trump will never do anything to stop the employment because his business employs undocumented workers. Even without e-verify, he could fine employers who do not get documentation for their workforce, but he won't because Mar-a-lago. Yes, undocumented workers do take jobs in construction and agriculture, but mostly no American workers want those jobs. I am old enough to remember when it as the Irish and Italians who were taking jobs away from Americans. It’s one of the oldest and most persistent anti-immigration metaphors in the country’s history, employed to oppose Irish Catholics, Asians, Latinos, Germans, Jews and just about everyone except white Protestants of English ancestry who now lives in America.

8. Congress would not allow Trump to build the good concrete double walls that were already approved by them back in 2006 with the funds they have allotted him so far. They would only approve upgraded fencing and it was a mere pittance of what he needed to secure the border.

9. Despite your erroneous claims the good double walls can't be tunneled under nor scaled over. The last person who tried broke both legs trying and we do have tunnel sensors.

I love debunking you people with the facts.
Let me know when you actually have facts. My comments in blue above.

A wall will be irrelevant to those people who become undocumented immigrants by overstaying their visas—who for many years have outnumbered those who become undocumented immigrants by crossing the U.S.–Mexico border.

https://www.brookings.edu/essay/the-...es-and-mexico/

Old 12-16-2018, 05:21 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,674,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
A wall and a wire fence the same for you?

Really

And did you read up on the political climate. The Dems settled on that because they thought it was the best of evils at the time.

We live in a dynamic world...things change, people change, issues, change.
I think the biggest deal is all the wealthy and powerful Republicans rallying for either open borders or increased immigration.

For example, the #1 funders of the GOP for the last decades....the Kochs!
Koch Brothers Mount Grassroots Effort to Support Immigration | Time

Or, the Bush family and foundations - Daddy had a Billion and their influence is very outsized:
https://www.bushcenter.org/publicati...tion-visa.html

There are literally dozens of pro-immigration articles on that Bush Center site.

The Kochs, meanwhile, have directed all their orgs to promote their issues...they "own" the Cato Institute, Americans for Prosperity and many other outlets.....

After giving us the Monster that is Citizens United and cozying up to Billionaires, now the GOP and Right "base" wants to tell the Bushes and Kochs what to do! That's laughable. Why would they listen?

No one seems to be able to properly answer - to me, because I am confused - the following question:
Why Doesn't Texas so E-Verify?"

The answer makes everything very clear.

Old 12-16-2018, 06:09 PM

62,959 posts, read 29,141,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Let me know when you actually have facts. My comments in blue above.

A wall will be irrelevant to those people who become undocumented immigrants by overstaying their visas—who for many years have outnumbered those who become undocumented immigrants by crossing the U.S.–Mexico border.

https://www.brookings.edu/essay/the-...es-and-mexico/

I'm not going to address every one of your false statements all over again but Trump is not planning a wall on the entire border. He shifted his position on that long ago. He merely wants the 700 mile long wall completed on the most porous areas of the border already passed by congress back in 2006.

Again, there is no such thing as an undocumented immigrant so why are you calling them that? PC, BS is what it is! They are illegal aliens according to our immigration law lingo.

Who said that a wall would stop visa over stayers? Why would you even make such a statement? They and the border jumpers are two different problems and each will be have to be dealt with in a different way so what was your point? The wall will address the latter, duh. No, the border jumpers still outnumber the visa over stayers but what's the difference anyway? Are you claiming that only an insignificant number of illegal aliens are coming through our southern border now? You know damned well that's now true!

I've given you the real facts you just refuse to accept them. You can't even tell the truth. Claiming that Americans won't do construction work is a bald faced lie! Who do you think were doing those jobs for a fair wage before millions of cheap illegals flooded our border? As for crop picking there are unlimited visas for "legal" foreign workers as it's not a career job for Americans and is only seasonal work. So illegals aren't needed for those jobs either.

Now go away. I can't stomach your lies and anti-Americans post anymore!

Old 12-16-2018, 06:18 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,674,856 times
Quote:
He shifted his position on that long ago.
Truest thing you have said.....which applies to every single position that a person could take. You have to excuse more of us because we simply can't keep up. We are awaiting our better and cheaper health care and the balanced budget.

Old 12-16-2018, 06:19 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,536,757 times
Quote:
How many times do we have to explain this issue to you before you stop repeating it over and over in here? You know darned well you and yours don't want the wall built no matter who pays for it and it's not because it's not cost effective or that those good double walls don't work. Just own up to your real agendas for once it would be a lot more honest of you.
Mexico denies it will pay for border wall after Trump repeats claim
Mexico's foreign minister denied Tuesday that his country would pay for a wall along the U.S.-Mexico border, after President Donald Trump once again told reporters it would happen.

Trump, speaking just a day after touting a new trade agreement with Mexico, told reporters following a meeting with Gianni Infantino, president of the international soccer governing body FIFA, that Mexico will "easily" pay for a wall along the U.S.-Mexico border.

"It will ultimately be paid for by Mexico," Trump said.
https://www.politico.com/story/2018/...er-wall-799072
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies