Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-13-2018, 05:55 PM

62,889 posts, read 29,119,973 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
In the campaign the promise from the President was that no American taxpayer would cover any cost of his "border wall" and that Mexico would pay for it. That is the President's problem. I think Chuck and Nancy are fully aware that this is was his core promise made and so far not kept to the public. What republicans refuse to admit or acknowledge is the fact Democrats are open to advancements to border security which could include some "upgraded fencing funded". Pelosi and Schumer BOTH stated in the press conference they want border strengthening. It's really about the semantics at this point. As well as the OPTICS of 45, saying verbatim "If I don't get what I want, I will shut the government down". That is problematic.

I essence that is true. The wall will not cost the taxpayer anything because vs the costs of illegal immigration it would be virtually free. Trump has a plan to make Mexico pay for it and I have posted the link many times. Trump is merely asking for monies to get the wall started. It's a necessary tool to deter illegal entry into our country and those types of walls have been proven to work.

It was congress that passed the wall bill in 2006 so why all of a sudden do the Democrats refuse to fund it? That was 12 freaking years ago! Some upgraded fencing is not what that bill was about. It was for 700 miles of double wall on our southern border.

I can't think of a better reason to shut the government down other than for our national security. It was shut down before for far less reasons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2018, 06:02 PM

1,378 posts, read 1,391,522 times
Yes and it's so stupid it's pointless to debate it.

Old 12-13-2018, 06:03 PM

1,378 posts, read 1,391,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
I essence that is true. The wall will not cost the taxpayer anything because vs the costs of illegal immigration it would be virtually free. Trump has a plan to make Mexico pay for it and I have posted the link many times. Trump is merely asking for monies to get the wall started. It's a necessary tool to deter illegal entry into our country and those types of walls have been proven to work.

It was congress that passed the wall bill in 2006 so why all of a sudden do the Democrats refuse to fund it? That was 12 freaking years ago! Some upgraded fencing is not what that bill was about. It was for 700 miles of double wall on our southern border.

I can't think of a better reason to shut the government down other than for our national security. It was shut down before for far less reasons.

Thanks for the laugh. You folks on the Right never fail to exceed my expectations!

Old 12-13-2018, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenSJC View Post
Thanks for the laugh. You folks on the Right never fail to exceed my expectations!

Oh, please point out the funny parts of my post. Typical of you guys when you can't counter a point you laugh and make fun of it and/or resort to ridicule and insults. My post was the absolute truth of which you and yours can't handle!

Old 12-13-2018, 06:32 PM

29,214 posts, read 22,354,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
they will when Schumer and Pelosi crumble at Trump's feet soon.
Here's a piece of news for you:
Nancy Pelosi doesn't crumble.

But Donald Trump does.

Old 12-13-2018, 06:49 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,821,209 times
It's not our fault you believed him. /shrug
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 12-13-2018, 06:55 PM

11,119 posts, read 5,585,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
I mean, the issue is not really up for debate anymore. Trump ran his campaign on building the Wall, and that is why he got elected.

So, why are Democrats trying to oppose Trump on this?

Sounds correct. There'll be no wall and no more Trump, after a short time has passed.

Old 12-13-2018, 07:11 PM

17,156 posts, read 12,954,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
There was no lie.....read my lips!!!! Trump never said that Mexico would write a check for it and I've provided a link of what his plan is. You're the one that needs to keep up! In the meantime, we need the funds to get the wall started. I can't think of a better time to shut down the government than when it concerns our national security.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&sour...44839793332123

Trump said at least 20 times Mexico would pay for the wall.

Old 12-13-2018, 07:12 PM

16,236 posts, read 5,876,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
I mean, the issue is not really up for debate anymore. Trump ran his campaign on building the Wall, and that is why he got elected.

So, why are Democrats trying to oppose Trump on this?
I dont know that that was the main reason. It was a big factor, but then so was, anyone but Hillary...

Old 12-13-2018, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
Famous walls of history:

The Great Wall of China
Hadrian's Wall
The Maginot Line
The Berlin Wall

Parts of the first two are maintained as tourist attractions. The latter two, both twentieth century constructions, eventually failed at their intended purpose. None of the four still serve the purposes for which they were built.

Why do you think Trump's ill-considered border wall would be any different? I cannot see it being a tourist attraction in the centuries yet to come, nor do I think it would do much other than spend public dollars unnecessarily, without accomplishing its intended purpose - which seems to be not so much to stop or slow illegal immigration as it would be to shore up Trump's declining popularity.

There's evidence to the contrary and I have posted several links proving that those good walls do work. It isn't an unnecessary expense and in fact is cost effective. Trump has wanted the wall since before he was elected so what do you mean he is shoring up his declining popularity (if there is such a thing).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies