Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2018, 03:43 AM

2,385 posts, read 1,587,677 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
I mean, the issue is not really up for debate anymore. Trump ran his campaign on building the Wall, and that is why he got elected.

So, why are Democrats trying to oppose Trump on this?
Because a majority of Americans did vote against him in 2016. He has no mandate to build a wall on the southern Border. Republicans also were roundly rejected in the midterms.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2018, 04:08 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,265,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
So now it's both parties who want open borders and Trump is the only one to want secure borders? Are you for real?
Trump isn't the only one who wants to secure the border. Many middle class Americans with common sense want the border secured. But Trump may be the only politician (or certainly one of the only ones) who really wants it.

Old 12-14-2018, 05:11 AM
TKO

4,153 posts, read 4,278,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
Trump isn't the only one who wants to secure the border. Many middle class Americans with common sense want the border secured. But Trump may be the only politician (or certainly one of the only ones) who really wants it.
No. Pretty much no one wants open borders. It would be a disaster and all the but the big city uber lib
SJWs (who are just as ignorant about the border as 20 foot wall loving southern trailer park righties - although fortunately there are a lot less of SJW's).

Come on out here and spend some time between Antelope Wells, NM and Nogales, AZ and tell me how effective a wall would be, how anyone would pay for it (bringing in concrete loads via helicopter?) and why would need it there because even desperate immigrants aren't mountain goats.

I'm a dem, I live on the border and I don't want open borders nor does anyone else I know here either right or left. It would be a disaster of epic proportions.

Here's the numbers (I repeat these continually on CD to little avail).

https://harvardharrispoll.com/wp-con...pline_Memo.pdf

At MOST 18% of Americans support open borders. Not enough to ever make it happen or to warrant any of your tears. It will never happen.

Old 12-14-2018, 05:43 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,265,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKO View Post
No. Pretty much no one wants open borders. It would be a disaster and all the but the big city uber lib
SJWs (who are just as ignorant about the border as 20 foot wall loving southern trailer park righties - although fortunately there are a lot less of SJW's).

Come on out here and spend some time between Antelope Wells, NM and Nogales, AZ and tell me how effective a wall would be, how anyone would pay for it (bringing in concrete loads via helicopter?) and why would need it there because even desperate immigrants aren't mountain goats.

I'm a dem, I live on the border and I don't want open borders nor does anyone else I know here either right or left. It would be a disaster of epic proportions.

Here's the numbers (I repeat these continually on CD to little avail).

https://harvardharrispoll.com/wp-con...pline_Memo.pdf

At MOST 18% of Americans support open borders. Not enough to ever make it happen or to warrant any of your tears. It will never happen.
OK then why hasn't it happened in all of these years, why don't we have e verify in place and why hasn't Congress appropriated the money that was supposed to be done 12 years ago? Why aren't we arresting people left and right -- employers and illegals, it's not like it's real difficult to find these people.
Perhaps the politicians really do want open borders and just wont' tell you.

Old 12-14-2018, 05:59 AM

3,212 posts, read 1,652,334 times
Quote:
OK then why hasn't it happened in all of these years, why don't we have e verify in place and why hasn't Congress appropriated the money that was supposed to be done 12 years ago? Why aren't we arresting people left and right -- employers and illegals, it's not like it's real difficult to find these people.
Your getting to the truth now. It would be much cheaper and much more effective to put the sanctuary employers in prison. Problem is, white people would be going down. Trump doesn't want that.

Old 12-14-2018, 06:07 AM

14,682 posts, read 14,648,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlongTheI-5 View Post
Your getting to the truth now. It would be much cheaper and much more effective to put the sanctuary employers in prison. Problem is, white people would be going down. Trump doesn't want that.
Trump is one of them

Old 12-14-2018, 06:10 AM

16,278 posts, read 10,414,707 times
Quote:
We spend billions on border security. While I agree it's not enough you act as if we actually have open borders and President Trump is the only politician who is trying to secure our borders. This is nonsense. He just has a really radical idea that not everyone thinks is going to solve the problem.

And again the key is he said Mexico would pay for it. He didn't say by back door methods, he said implied they would be cutting checks. Now he wants us to pay for it and that's not what he promised.

Old 12-14-2018, 06:14 AM

8,312 posts, read 3,927,691 times
To answer the OP's question, it's obvious to anyone with a brain that dares to use it, that Trump's propaganda campaign to convince the simple minded that we should be very, very afraid of "rapists and terrorists" pouring over the border, and that Mexico would pay to "build a wall" to prevent it - worked very well.

Sure it was one of the reasons Trump got elected. It just wasn't a VALID reason.

Old 12-14-2018, 06:15 AM
TKO

4,153 posts, read 4,278,102 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlongTheI-5 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
Trump is one of them
There's the answer to your question.

I'll point out that as porous as our borders are, if we had truly open borders it would be a much different scenario. Saving up a year salary to pay the coyotes limits the number of people that attempt an illegal crossing. Let alone the prospect of that arduous journey across a pretty hellish landscape. We love the desert here but it's very unforgiving.

Old 12-14-2018, 06:16 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
I mean, the issue is not really up for debate anymore. Trump ran his campaign on building the Wall, and that is why he got elected.

So, why are Democrats trying to oppose Trump on this?
That’s not why I voted for Trump.

Trump campaigned on building the wall and MEXICO IS GOING TO PAY FOR IT.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies