Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2018, 07:51 AM

10,773 posts, read 4,351,834 times

Advertisements

Did Obama or Bill Clinton do anything as great as Prison Reform?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2018, 08:46 AM

24,502 posts, read 17,245,671 times
I'm not sure if I am a fan of prison reform. We all know that a black guy is more inclined to be looked down on by a judge than a white guy that committed the same crime and we also know that in many cases the white guy has more of a chance to hire a better attorney whereas the black guy is stuck with the overburdened public defender and as a result the black guy gets a longer sentence but there is also the factor of repeat offenders that people seem to forget about.

If a guy has multiple prior run ins with the law because of his habits the court might be harder on this guy.

We already have many convicts getting out early for "good behavior" or their sentences are reduced from the get go but there are certain crimes where the sentences should be harsh. I don't want to see anyone with violent tendencies that has a penchant for using guns in his crimes be let out early.

In the end I think that prison reform is a nice way of saying that the government is tired of paying for all these people to be locked up but not locking up dangerous criminals puts us all in danger.

I like to think the best of people but this probably won't end well.

Old 12-15-2018, 09:47 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,608,522 times
Oddly enough, majority of the drug arrests around my area are white folk, especially when it comes to heroin and opioids. I guess local police must not have gotten the memo!

Old 12-15-2018, 10:20 AM

2,448 posts, read 894,579 times
Most black folks also dislike living next to criminals, so I'm unclear as to why letting more criminals out of prison will please most of them. It's generally naive, groveling, obsequious, pandering white folks who trumpet "criminal justice reform."

Old 12-15-2018, 10:23 AM

2,448 posts, read 894,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
I'm not sure if I am a fan of prison reform. We all know that a black guy is more inclined to be looked down on by a judge than a white guy that committed the same crime and we also know that in many cases the white guy has more of a chance to hire a better attorney whereas the black guy is stuck with the overburdened public defender and as a result the black guy gets a longer sentence but there is also the factor of repeat offenders that people seem to forget about.

If a guy has multiple prior run ins with the law because of his habits the court might be harder on this guy.

We already have many convicts getting out early for "good behavior" or their sentences are reduced from the get go but there are certain crimes where the sentences should be harsh. I don't want to see anyone with violent tendencies that has a penchant for using guns in his crimes be let out early.

In the end I think that prison reform is a nice way of saying that the government is tired of paying for all these people to be locked up but not locking up dangerous criminals puts us all in danger.

I like to think the best of people but this probably won't end well.
It will work about as well as how the application of these principles has worked in public schools, with far fewer suspensions and expulsions of violent, predatorial students. Attacks on teachers are up. School violence is up. Even teachers' unions have begun complaining.

Again, it's mostly supported by very naive, sheltered people who have little experience with criminals. The sort of folks who think that drug offenders are "nonviolent."

Old 12-15-2018, 10:27 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,222,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post

If you do something but as you note, have the benefit of a good lawyer and get out of it, get released and then do it again, are you a repeat offender?

Old 12-15-2018, 07:08 PM

39,874 posts, read 26,521,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiociolliscalves View Post
Most black folks also dislike living next to criminals, so I'm unclear as to why letting more criminals out of prison will please most of them. It's generally naive, groveling, obsequious, pandering white folks who trumpet "criminal justice reform."
I hear that and agree that it seems sensible-but the facts don't seem to bear that out. Far too many "black folks" protect criminals, hid them from law enforcement and worse, riot whenever a black criminal is arrested and held accountable.

Old 12-15-2018, 07:11 PM

7,827 posts, read 3,384,174 times
Trump is pushing prison reform and has said he will revisit declassifying marijuana as a schedule I drug, yet he is anti black.

Trump is only one in a long line of people who have pushed for a wall. Most notably, Bill, Hillary, Obama, Biden all called for a wall, yet somehow only Trump is a racist.

Trump supported gay marriage way back and is the first President to have supported gay marriage before he was President, Not, Bill Clinton, Obama and Hillary all opposed gay marriage, yet somehow Trump is anti gay marriage!

This must be liberal logic.

Old 12-15-2018, 07:16 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,682,105 times
The problem...sorta kinda...is that Obama did things:
https://www.brennancenter.org/blog/f...justice-reform

Mr. MAGALOT is unlikely to be able to think enough to understand even the bigly words involved.

At this point Trump is toast. Stick a fork in it. I'll love the prison reform after he gives cheaper and better health care to all, balances the budget, brings all the troops home, cleans up the air and the water and signs a comprehensive immigration act.

We'll take after those things are done. As it stands, no matter what BS he spews, he's at the bottom of the list of all POTUSes in history and likely to stay right there. Like Charles Manson, redemption is not really possible in this generation for his crime family.

Old 12-15-2018, 07:18 PM

1,943 posts, read 3,339,414 times
What??????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies