Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2018, 07:24 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,707,126 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastwardBound View Post
Trump is pushing prison reform and has said he will revisit declassifying marijuana as a schedule I drug.
He has SAID every side of every issue. The fact that you would believe him is amazing.

Jeff Sessions is like a drug warrior from 20-30 years back.

Trump and Sessions and others called for EXECUTION of Drug Dealers - I guess that reforms prisons because they are not needed for dead people.

The new proposed AG, Barr, is another Ultimate Drug Warrior.

"n 1992, for example, Barr’s Justice Department circulated a working paper titled, “The Case for More Incarceration.”"

"“It’s hard to imagine an attorney general as bad as Jeff Sessions when it comes to criminal justice and the drug war, but Trump seems to have found one,” Michael Collins, the director of national affairs for the Drug Policy Alliance, said in a statement."

East, I'm serious....this is opposite backwards world. What possibly makes you think Trump would hire the worst of the worst...and that they all would suddenly become enlightened? If you want reform you hire reformers.

It should be obvious when liberal states like MA. decrim and even sell recreationally. I can head down to the dispensary and buy 100's of different products. It is already legal in MA to be stoned or high....has been for many years.

So tell us again how Republicans are leading this effort? I thought Co. and Ca. and Ma. and Wa. etc. were the leaders....none of these places are Trumpsville...in fact, the very opposite.

So, no, you can't have Trump "give me pot" or "give me money from debt and deficit" to buy me off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2018, 07:26 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,658,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGAalot View Post
Did Obama or Bill Clinton do anything as great as Prison Reform?
I voted for him twice, but the only way Clinton reformed prisons was through the toughest crime bill in history, leading to the incarceration of millions of black males.

And when people questioned this at the time the first lady supported it by saying, 'these people are super predators and need to be taken to heel.'

So I think you can take Clinton out of the equation, given his record.

Old 12-15-2018, 07:28 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,267,941 times
Two presidents have helped us...Lincoln and LBJ. No other president has sacrificed an ounce of political capital to help African Americans.

Trump’s name will not be added to the list. Forget it.

Old 12-15-2018, 07:30 PM

57,411 posts, read 26,339,824 times
This has been a bipartisan proposal before Trump took office, the OP's red hat is a little too tight. I don't think Trump even realized what was in the bill.

Old 12-15-2018, 07:42 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,076,865 times
Quote:
This bi-partisan bill was not something Trump campaigned on -- it was something presented to him and he agreed to sign it.

Both parties have been working on it for some time.

Yes it is impressive Trump isn't going to veto it. We are so impressed when Trump does the right thing....lol.

Old 12-15-2018, 07:50 PM

19,718 posts, read 16,885,743 times
Quote:

Seems like an odd situation. You have voiced how you have no compassion for immigrants, but you are now saying Trump has done something good for people who have been proven to be law breakers .

I guess if they are American born criminals, that somehow makes them better.

Old 12-15-2018, 07:55 PM

2,448 posts, read 897,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Two presidents have helped us...Lincoln and LBJ. No other president has sacrificed an ounce of political capital to help African Americans.

Trump’s name will not be added to the list. Forget it.
Oh, stop it. You're just incorrect on that. Warren Harding is one example:

https://www.politico.com/story/2016/...21-1921-229948

https://potus-geeks.livejournal.com/164495.html

Old 12-15-2018, 08:04 PM

29,223 posts, read 22,430,874 times
The problem that has caused prison reform to happen isn't in the state court system. Probation and early parole is commonly granted in the state courts, but not in the federal court system. In the Federal courts, it's prohibited by law to let a prisoner go free early.

And in drug cases, a Federal sentence will carry 20 years or more, where in state court, the same offense will carry 5 or less.

Simple possession is now a misdemeanor in some states, but in Federal court, it can put a guy behind bars for over a decade.

The Federal prisons are clogged and full to the brim with non-violent drug offenders. Some first-offense prisoners who never committed a crime before have now done 30 or more years for offenses that would have timed out at 5 years in state court.

They are taking up far too much prison space, and their appeals are clogging the Federal courts as well.

The laws under which they were sentenced were written back in the 70s and 80s, when there was a lot of rampant crime, and the public was yelling for harsher penalties. Back when marijuana possession was still a felony in most states.

All the reform bill essentially does is return some discretionary powers of sentencing back to the judges on the Federal benches.

A violent or repeat offender can still get life with no parole, but if a judge has the discretion, he can sentence a drug mule to 5 years instead of the 20 he's mandated to sentence now, or be able to award probation for good behavior, but he cannot do either now.

The laws need updating. Violent crime has been on a long slow decrease throughout the 21st century, while non-violent drug crimes, especially involving opioids, have massively increased, and otherwise law-abiding folks with fentanyl habits are being sent away for decades. For some, especially those who are middle-aged, a Federal sentence is a lifetime sentence that has no probation, no parole.

Only appeal. One appeal after another after another.

Last edited by banjomike; 12-15-2018 at 08:18 PM..

Old 12-15-2018, 08:24 PM

4,559 posts, read 1,442,344 times
Do believe the "prison reform" is to privatize the prison system. Trump has business bud s lined up to take it over. The current trump tents along the border that incarcerate the border crossers is an example.

Basically, its Trump and Betsy Devoss university $$ fraud but they r criminals not students, so this scheme has little chance of blowing up on them like the for profit universities these two were involved in.

Old 12-15-2018, 08:55 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,707,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by what'd i miss View Post
Do believe the "prison reform" is to privatize the prison system. Trump has business bud s lined up to take it over. The current trump tents along the border that incarcerate the border crossers is an example.

Basically, its Trump and Betsy Devoss university $$ fraud but they r criminals not students, so this scheme has little chance of blowing up on them like the for profit universities these two were involved in.
"When the President does it - that automatically makes it legal"......

But, truly, more likely the post above saying Trump has no idea what is in the bill is more likely. Dems have been pushing for criminal justice reform for a while while Republicans (only some) came around a little when they started smoking enough pot or realized how much it was costing them in $$.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies