Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do people assume you are or are not a Trump supporter?
Trump supporter: People correctly assume I am 10 13.51%
Trump supporter: People wrongly assume I am not 7 9.46%
Anti-Trump: People correctly assume I am 22 29.73%
Anti-Trump: People wrongly assume I am not 2 2.70%
People make no assumptions about me 33 44.59%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2018, 05:05 AM

7,982 posts, read 4,291,201 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
I'm female in a voting district where women are demonstrably anti-Trump and came out in droves to oust our Republican representative because he could not put enough distance between himself and the president, so if they know anything about where I live, they'd have a pretty good shot at guessing correctly. In general, though, I don't think there's anything particular about me that would indicate my opinion, and I'm not in the habit of discussing politics casually anywhere other than anonymously on C-D. I know only one person in my neighborhood who has even made a point of broadcasting his political leanings, and he's a Trump supporter. It did not surprise me, though, because one of my first encounters with him after we had been introduced was seeing him at the library where he was checking out a book by Ann Coulter about "talking to stupid liberals" or something like that. While I found him pleasant enough, at that point I knew that any chance of developing a friendship between our families was pretty much shot. and later encounters proved that the gulf between us was too wide to bridge. So we all remain casual acquaintances, and I studiously avoid any discussion of politics when we run into each other at neighborhood get togethers.
Oh my goodness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2018, 05:37 AM

18,735 posts, read 33,406,561 times
In my new town in Colorado, I think it's considered bad form to discuss religion or politics socially. I was very happy with the lack of bumperstickers in general. After years in the Cambridge, MA, penumbra, it's been very nice.
Would have been a good stance at my former job, where on the night shift, you got to know way too much about your co-workers.

Old 12-15-2018, 05:44 AM

12,017 posts, read 14,337,386 times
People assume since I'm a six figure earner who's part of The Romney 47%that pays income tax that I support Trump, when it could not be further from the truth

Old 12-15-2018, 06:07 AM

7,195 posts, read 5,730,901 times
This is an interesting thread. I am definitely NOT a Trump supporter.

I'm a middle-aged white woman and I live in a conservative area that has a sizable liberal minority. Just at first glance, because I'm white and because I live in a conservative city, the assumption might be that I'm a Trump supporter.

I'm a small-business owner, so that might cause people to assume that I'm a Trump supporter.

However, I drive a hybrid that has a Penzey's Spices sticker and also a magnet from my church (UMC, which is more liberal than most of the other churches in my conservative area). So I would take a gander that someone who saw me driving would assume that I am not a Trump supporter.

I also volunteer with a nonprofit organization that promotes diversity, travel, and accepting other cultures. In fact, we promote inviting a stranger from another country to live in your home for 10 months and most of my acquaintances know that we have done it ourselves many times. (It's a foreign exchange organization.) So I would guess that this would make people assume that I'm not a Trump supporter.

The one time I traveled internationally after Trump was elected, the topic did not come up at all, so I can't speak about that.

Old 12-15-2018, 06:38 AM

3,124 posts, read 2,072,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Doll View Post
I travel internationally a lot, and I’ve found that 100% of the time, people assume (correctly, of course) that I am not a Trump supporter. When others find out I am American, they usually give me some sort of Trump-disparaging comment...which I usually agree with. This happens frequently. Even locally, people usually feel comfortable enough around me to say things that indicate they are anti-Trump. Frankly, I appreciate whatever they see in me. It does make me wonder, though...

I’m a black woman, so maybe that’s why they make this assumption (again, correctly).

My query is this: I’m wondering if such assumptions happen to others. If so, what is it about you that makes people feel comfortable enough to make such assumptions (that you are pro-Trump or anti-Trump)?

I mean, if they’re wrong, that would create an awkward situation.

So you enjoy being stereotyped based on your skin color.

Quote:
Hahaha, molly, what a great story! That’s the type of awkwardness I try to avoid.

I have a dear white friend. We are very similar in personality, and we love each other dearly. She’s pretty socially liberal, but I think she and her family are conservative otherwise. I suspect—though, I’d never ask her for fear of her answer—that she voted for Trump. If true, it would be hard for me not to look at her differently. In this one case, I’ll enjoy my ignorance.

You talk about Trump with strangers but not your dear white friend?

Sure.

Old 12-15-2018, 06:48 AM

3,124 posts, read 2,072,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Who talks politics with strangers?

I don't even initiate conversation with people. Why would I?

They are not talking about politics, but I guess they think they are. If you read the responses since you posted, they are discussing their TDS, not politics. As in their hatred of the person, which in some cases has existed for decades, or otherwise long before he was in politics. They are giddy about running into random people with the same irrational affliction. They see it as some sort of validation.

Old 12-15-2018, 07:41 AM

4,034 posts, read 2,719,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
Well, like I said, the main thing is being accused of self-hatred. To be fair, that's something I've seen mainly on this forum, but if people are saying it here, who knows what others are thinking but not saying IRL?

The 'self-hatred' thing always makes me shake my head as well. For me, 'liberal' is more a case of realizing things are not quite as cut-and-dried as the conservative viewpoint would indicate, not "OMG, I feel guilty for every little thing my white ancestors did to anybody who wasn't just like them so I must beat myself up over it!" It's more of a "realizing injustices have been done in the past, and striving to do better going forward".

But then, I also don't get the 'sins of the father' attitude either. Which is why, as much as I hate Trump, I get annoyed when folk post about that great-grandfather of his who also dodged military service as somehow being a moral failing of Trump's. Don't get me wrong, I think Trump is a lousy human being *full* of moral failings, and I will needle him endlessly about his 'bone spurs', cuz that's on him. But he is not responsible for what his ancestors did, or didn't do. That's on them.

Old 12-15-2018, 07:47 AM

16,603 posts, read 8,622,620 times
Quote:
I travel internationally a lot, and I’ve found that 100% of the time, people assume (correctly, of course) that I am not a Trump supporter. When others find out I am American, they usually give me some sort of Trump-disparaging comment...which I usually agree with. This happens frequently. Even locally, people usually feel comfortable enough around me to say things that indicate they are anti-Trump. Frankly, I appreciate whatever they see in me. It does make me wonder, though...

I’m a black woman, so maybe that’s why they make this assumption (again, correctly).

My query is this: I’m wondering if such assumptions happen to others. If so, what is it about you that makes people feel comfortable enough to make such assumptions (that you are pro-Trump or anti-Trump)?

I mean, if they’re wrong, that would create an awkward situation.
Most people, even in America might assume that with you being black, you would be a Democrat, thus are not a Trump supporter.
However more and more blacks and other minorities are waking up to the realization that Trump has been doing more for blacks in his first two years than Obama did in eight.
Then again you'd never know that if you just listen to the liberal MSM which never carries anything good, and always accuses him of being a _______ist, ________phobe, etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=o20EwFI5Iu4

According to a media watchdog group, most of the MSM didn't cover this story last week and certainly didn't provide video footage of it.
So it is not only the constant drumbeat of bad stories the MSM runs, but it is also the act of omitting good stories that should wake up black America.

Old 12-15-2018, 08:17 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,592,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplySagacious View Post
You talk about Trump with strangers but not your dear white friend?

Sure.
Haven't you ever had a friend or family member with whom it was best not to discuss certain topics? It's not an eye-roller of a comment, it's absolutely believable, and in some cases, the only way to keep the peace.

Old 12-15-2018, 08:43 AM

19,845 posts, read 12,113,717 times
This thread is quite interesting. The most toxic people on here come across as self righteous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies