Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do people assume you are or are not a Trump supporter?
Trump supporter: People correctly assume I am 10 13.51%
Trump supporter: People wrongly assume I am not 7 9.46%
Anti-Trump: People correctly assume I am 22 29.73%
Anti-Trump: People wrongly assume I am not 2 2.70%
People make no assumptions about me 33 44.59%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2018, 06:35 PM
Status: "Apparently the worst poster on CD" (set 29 days ago)

27,651 posts, read 16,138,284 times

Advertisements

Im confused. Is it ok today to make assumptions about people?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2018, 06:40 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,967,503 times
yes, it is ok unless you support Trump.

Old 12-14-2018, 06:51 PM

1,733 posts, read 948,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
I live abroad and like you try to avoid discussing politics with strangers. Many assume that because I am an American that I am a huge Trump fan. When they find out that I am not, they try to debate me and convince me that I should change my position. What shocks me is how many ex-pats from other countries are huge Trump fans.

By the way, when in the states I don't talk politics with strangers either.

Perhaps they understand how globalism isn't such a good thing, depending on where they live.

My brother has lived in Europe for over 20 years, now in Switzerland for the last 8. He is a huge Trump supporter and many of his friends there are as well. Switzerland has tough immigration laws and insists immigrants assimilate 100% or they are extradited from the country.

Old 12-14-2018, 06:52 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,544,683 times
Lightbulb Do people assume you ARE or ARE NOT a Trump supporter?

As an old white guy, I fit the Trumpling profile perfectly.

In conversations, I've been asked if I'm one.

It's fun.

Old 12-14-2018, 06:55 PM

1,733 posts, read 948,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
I just seemed like a conservative republican black guy to her.
I’m still dismayed, but forgave her for her ignorance and that bizarre insult.

I am against Trump, been against Trump from day one. I also try not to talk about politics in public. However, I'm learning that some people might assume that I don't support Trump.
I know I am usually surprised when I meet a black person who likes him, but honestly? That embarrasses the hell out of me, because race-based assumptions of any kind are opposed to everything I hope I believe in.

XXXXXXXXXX

Honestly ..... how sad (and disturbing) it must be to live a life where people look at the color of your skin and decide what/who you support Politically. Do they do the same with your view on Marriage, Children, Religion, Work, Movies, Where you shop, What you eat, What you wear ..... Life in general?

I don't discuss Politics (or Religion) with Friends, Family, Strangers, or anyone else.
I make no assumptions about people I don't know ....... and certainly NONE because of the above.
I would guess that NOBODY makes any "assumptions" about me .... I would HATE it, if they did.

Particularly - if it was something like the color of my hair, the length of my fingernails, whether I was Right/Left handed, what size shoe I wore, the car I drove .... OR the color of my skin.

I agree. My apologies- I posted something similar before reading your comments.

Old 12-14-2018, 10:14 PM

1,071 posts, read 1,288,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
I've been telling people how much I could not stand that jackass for decades, if he came up in conversation. Nobody is surprised that I don't like him.

Also, pretty much anyone who doesn't put up with racists, idiots, or bullies is unsurprised that I would not like him.

It's kind of a given, really.
Ditto here. I'm a white, college-educated, senior woman. I do not suffer fools, braggarts, con-artists or criminals gladly. So, of course, I have long found Trump repulsive, disgusting and grandiosely full of himself; needing his comeuppance and greasing his way out of it with the scamming scion's ill-gotten gains. I've had no use for him. I was sadly disappointed with how many voters were so easily lead or duped by such a sociopathic narcissist. No accounting for some people. More, even, than I knew. Most people who know me very well, know my feelings about character, responsibility and Trump's lack of it.

When things were still white hot post-election, I had an appt. with a woman, near my age, with whom I've done business for a number of years. Our lives have often paralleled or mirrored each other in some similar major life experiences and family traumas (illness, caregiving, loss). We've been sharing and supportive in those things.

This area is mostly anti-Trump, but not so much so that you can count on it. There is always a clinker here and there. My business contact and I have never talked politics, but there was mention of how abominable the election had been. That opened the floodgates. We got on an "ain't it just awful" roll. After a few minutes of animated, bonded ventilating, I said, "I can't believe ANYONE would vote for Trump." She looked at me in surprise and said quietly, "I voted for Trump." Dead silence--- for what felt like a long time. We sat and looked at each other as if seeing each other for the first time. I finally said, "Well, back to business?" And nothing further has been said about it. But, that has felt like the elephant in the room since. I wish I had asked her why. I scrutinize our business paperwork VERY CAREFULLY. Anyone who would vote for Trump, with his blatant characterological disorders, is not someone I feel I can fully trust.

I don't talk politics with my doctor.

Old 12-14-2018, 10:15 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,018,755 times
I'm surprised to see how many people don't like him

Old 12-14-2018, 11:07 PM

32,065 posts, read 15,067,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Who talks politics with strangers?

I don't even initiate conversation with people. Why would I?
I agree. Why would the topic even come up. Very bizarre to me.

Old 12-14-2018, 11:27 PM

7,520 posts, read 2,810,168 times
My political beliefs are none of any stranger's business and I only choose to discuss politics once in awhile with friends. A stranger's political beliefs are none of my business either. WTH is wrong with people that they feel the need, or that they have the audacity, to discuss politics with strangers from another country? Especially if it is to disparage the leaders of that person's country? Such hubris on display. I would never complain about Merkel or May to someone in Germany or the UK.

Old 12-14-2018, 11:36 PM

16,236 posts, read 5,882,675 times
On this forum I have been called a Trump supporter many times. Usually because I don't make every post a bash Trump post. That and I tend to call out the hypocrisy I see on here. For 8 years the hardliners on the left made excuses for what Obama really meant to say. The Hard right took delight in trashing Obama and his family.
Trump is an jazz, but he is our President. (unfortunately).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies