Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2018, 10:08 AM

18,358 posts, read 26,495,840 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
A demotion from Commander-In-Chief?
Yes but just think, Trump could still make a general's salary after he leaves the White House. Think he wouldn't?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2018, 10:36 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times
Quote:

What part of "leave the White House" confuses you?

Old 12-15-2018, 10:44 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,538,911 times
It's so disappointing that the Navy would stoop to grant a commission to a squirming weasel like Priebus.

But then, they gave one to Bannon, too.

Old 12-15-2018, 10:53 AM

9,694 posts, read 7,392,751 times
there alot of them, mostly like lawyers and doctors, like a civil job but has company clothes. It not like he going be in command of soldiers and saliors in combat or drive a boat

Old 12-15-2018, 11:09 AM

46,961 posts, read 25,990,037 times
Quote:
The man does love his bling, pomp and circumstance, though. Perhaps those bonespurs were a good thing - can anyone imagine brand-new 2nd lieutenant Trump, full of ego and shiny bars, taking command of a platoon? They'd have the smartest salutes and the lowest morale.

Back on subject: As for the OP and the other examples, anyone who's worn a uniform has encountered this. The army needs a guy with a set of skills that would make him upper-middle-class in civilian life. Doctor, dentist, lawyer, project manager, meteorologist, that sort of thing. He'll expect compensation and working conditions that at least somewhat resemble what he could have gotten outside. And he needs to be able to offer professional advice to uniformed decision-makes - i.e., officers - on a somewhat even level.

So you give him a commission, a quick introductory class to military life and etiquette, and tell the enlisted men and NCOs to call him "Sir". But he's not in the line of command for anything but his own department and if he starts giving orders to actual soldiers, he'll be gently checked by senior NCOs and less gently checked by actual officers. In a combat unit, a major is serious business, expected to make life-and-death decisions that effect hundreds of people under him. In the Pentagon, a major is barely noticed by anyone but his own staff.

TL;DR: There's actual officers and then there's the type that's described in the OP. It's quite common and not nefarious. And he's not about to be given command of a destroyer.

Old 12-15-2018, 11:12 AM

12,265 posts, read 6,472,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
If this really flies I'll expect Trump to leave the White House as a five star general or a fleet admiral.
Well, he does have a Purple Heart and he`s been to Vietnam. There`s that!

Old 12-15-2018, 11:16 AM

4,526 posts, read 6,087,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmagoo View Post
Well, he does have a Purple Heart and he`s been to Vietnam. There`s that!
was the purple heart purchased or was it for campaigning with sore feet and did he buy land for a hotel in Vietnam or open up some KFCS for Eric to manage ?

Old 12-15-2018, 03:28 PM

1,991 posts, read 900,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
And you are completely unaware that this is not a new thing, right?

Examples: https://www.goarmy.com/careers-and-j...ommission.html

For Cyber Direct Commissioning, here are the requirements, just to give you an idea that this is not Priebus just "knowing someone" and getting a special favor, as is being implied here:

Eligible programs:

Here's another:

https://www.gocoastguard.com/active-...ssion-programs

Commissioning into the Military with a Previously Earned Degree

In fact, I believe only the Marine Corps does not do this, all others do. So what's your problem with this again?
Wolves and all, please don’t patronize me. I’m well aware of the avenues to a Commission. However, to get a waiver for age and a recommendation by the SECDEF is well outside the route to a Commission. Especially when Priebus is going to be a Human Resource Officer which is certainly not a billet that has a critical shortage of officers. This reeks of privilege and as I said, no matter if it’s GOP or Democrat, it stinks.

Old 12-16-2018, 02:27 AM

30,253 posts, read 23,737,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomC23 View Post
Wolves and all, please don’t patronize me. I’m well aware of the avenues to a Commission. However, to get a waiver for age and a recommendation by the SECDEF is well outside the route to a Commission. Especially when Priebus is going to be a Human Resource Officer which is certainly not a billet that has a critical shortage of officers. This reeks of privilege and as I said, no matter if it’s GOP or Democrat, it stinks.
Big deal, he got a waiver. Military does that all the time. I guess you missed this part in my example:

Quote:
WHAT ARE THE BASIC REQUIREMENTS TO COMMISSION INTO CYBER?

In order to be considered to receive a direct appointment as an Army Cyber officer, you must fulfill these basic requirements:

You must be a United States citizen
You must be under 42 years of age (waiverable)
You must not already be a member of the armed services (for active duty)
You must be able to obtain and maintain a top secret security clearance
You must have at least a four-year college degree
You must complete an Army physical, meeting basic fitness standards for Army service
You must complete an application to become an officer

An Army Cyber Representative will inform you of receipt of your application packet and provide you additional instructions, if applicable.
If they would wave for that, they would definitely wave for Human Resources. You act like getting a waiver is difficult or you have to "know" someone. I got a waiver because I was too short, according to the military, to become an MP. It's not that big of a deal.

Old 12-16-2018, 09:37 AM

46,961 posts, read 25,990,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomC23 View Post
Especially when Priebus is going to be a Human Resource Officer which is certainly not a billet that has a critical shortage of officers.
Wasn't aware of that. Changes the picture.

Quote:
This reeks of privilege and as I said, no matter if it’s GOP or Democrat, it stinks.
Gotta concur.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies