Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2018, 05:27 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
Dean Martin's daughter isn't the only one responding to the nonsense. So is the daughter of the song's composer (and she should know). She said her dad would be furious at the critics of his beloved yuletide classic, which he wrote so that he and his wife could perform it at parties--which they did, often reversing the roles.

Thankfully, the humorless pearl-clutching scolds aren't winning this one, because listeners are fighting back. These modern day Mrs. (or should I say "Ms.") Grundys, who've hijacked the #MeToo movement and wagged their prudish fingers at men--and women--for [gasp!] flirting succeeded in getting a handful of easy-listening stations whose audience consists of their parents and grandparents to pull the song, but even they have backpedaled, "reintroducing" it in rotation, or even playing it nonstop. Its many versions never disappeared from our local stations, either.

In addition, Dean Martin's version is among the top 10 itunes. Many current artists, including the cast of Glee, for cripes sake, have covered this song, too. It's hugely popular.

So the song isn't going anywhere. Because people finally had enough. If reasonable people retreat, the left encroaches. That's the way it's always been with them

P.S. Thanks a lot, Bill Cosby.
Why would the composer's daughter know anything about her father's intentions with this song? My father was an engineer in a steel mill but I know very little about making steel or engineering.

Reversing the roles is just as bad. It's still one person bullying and guilting someone into sex.

Bill Cosby was hardly the first person to "spike" women's drinks. I recall stories about that when I was in college in the late 60s/early 70s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Your average, everyday feminist could care less about this stupid song. The ONLY people I hear constantly and endlessly discussing it are conservatives who are obsessed with a song that I never heard of OR associated with Christmas.

The feminist next-door is far more concerned with a rapist that gets off after 4 months than some damn, antiquated song.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dashrendar4454 View Post
Then you’re not paying attention
Correct, dashrendar. A group of us from my church, a fairly "liberal" church in a liberal denomination, were talking about this just today, including the pastor who just happens to be female. The song is a fossil.

Old 12-23-2018, 06:34 PM

4,660 posts, read 4,121,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
Different. That is not a Christmas song and is part of a sub culture. I've never heard it or of it.
Different because Dean Martin is white and JayZ is black. Yours is an excellent illustration of why social justice warriors need to stop worrying about Christmas songs and go after the real problem.

As for it being from a "sub-culture," yeah, that is the problem.

Old 12-23-2018, 06:34 PM

31,061 posts, read 22,086,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Your average, everyday feminist could care less about this stupid song. The ONLY people I hear constantly and endlessly discussing it are conservatives who are obsessed with a song that I never heard of OR associated with Christmas.

The feminist next-door is far more concerned with a rapist that gets off after 4 months than some damn, antiquated song.
Bill, never did any time!

Old 12-23-2018, 06:47 PM

7,827 posts, read 3,383,094 times
Just sit back and let the liberals continue to expand their complaints about things 90% of people enjoy.

Old 12-23-2018, 06:50 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,615,406 times
Putting a flirtatious exchange between two adults into historical context is just too much for some people to accept or understand, which is fine, but they should stop making it everyone's issue and climb back under the rock from whence they came.

Old 12-23-2018, 07:14 PM

38,643 posts, read 26,384,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
Dean Martin's daughter isn't the only one responding to the nonsense. So is the daughter of the song's composer (and she should know). She said her dad would be furious at the critics of his beloved yuletide classic, which he wrote so that he and his wife could perform it at parties--which they did, often reversing the roles.

Thankfully, the humorless pearl-clutching scolds aren't winning this one, because listeners are fighting back. These modern day Mrs. (or should I say "Ms.") Grundys, who've hijacked the #MeToo movement and wagged their prudish fingers at men--and women--for [gasp!] flirting succeeded in getting a handful of easy-listening stations whose audience consists of their parents and grandparents to pull the song, but even they have backpedaled, "reintroducing" it in rotation, or even playing it nonstop. Its many versions never disappeared from our local stations, either.

In addition, Dean Martin's version is among the top 10 itunes. Many current artists, including the cast of Glee, for cripes sake, have covered this song, too. It's hugely popular.

So the song isn't going anywhere. Because people finally had enough. If reasonable people retreat, the left encroaches. That's the way it's always been with them

P.S. Thanks a lot, Bill Cosby.
Funny you should mention the reversed roles.

I never heard that version until I was out Christmas shopping tonight.

I couldn't name the artists, but the female sang the wolf's lines and the male sang the mouse's lines.

It was great!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MFJ7ie_yGU

FTR, where the **** do these #metoo people think babies come from?

Old 12-23-2018, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Dean Martin's schtick was that of an alcoholic womanizer, so the song fits. He's not the best defense that the song is not about a lech.

The song doesn't need a defense.

It's a beautiful classic duet that reflects the sexual mores of the era in which it was written.

Of course, the fact that the mouse is egging on the wolf doesn't fit the "women good, men bad" absolutism being pushed by the left, so the song must be condemned.

Old 12-23-2018, 07:38 PM

33,316 posts, read 12,534,999 times
Quote:
Dean Martin's schtick was that of an alcoholic womanizer, so the song fits. He's not the best defense that the song is not about a lech.

No, that would probably be the daughter of the composer .

Old 12-23-2018, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Why would the composer's daughter know anything about her father's intentions with this song? My father was an engineer in a steel mill but I know very little about making steel or engineering.

Reversing the roles is just as bad. It's still one person bullying and guilting someone into sex.

Bill Cosby was hardly the first person to "spike" women's drinks. I recall stories about that when I was in college in the late 60s/early 70s.

Correct, dashrendar. A group of us from my church, a fairly "liberal" church in a liberal denomination, were talking about this just today, including the pastor who just happens to be female. The song is a fossil.

I'm sure some women had their drinks spiked over the years, but I'd bet big money that the majority of those cases of drinks being spiked were actually cover stories for voluntary sex, including sex the female participant may have pursued and initiated, that became a problem after people (a parent, husband, boyfriend, etc.) learned of it or an unintended pregnancy resulted from it.

A lot of women don't like to own up to their horn-dog propensities.

Old 12-23-2018, 07:57 PM

33,316 posts, read 12,534,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post

Really?

What is the common thread other than those two professions are things that two fathers did for a living?

Why do you doubt the assertion given under what you bolded in the post you were replying to?

The type of party wasn't mentioned. The daughter could have been present at the parties, and someone asking the father why he wrote the song would be logical with the parents varying who would play each role.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies