Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-31-2018, 06:23 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,815,033 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
Paul Ryan, Speaker of the House, has not been seen in DC in the past few days. Mitch McConnell, Senator Majority Leader, has not been seen in DC either. They are the leaders of the House and Senate. Where are they? Why is there only a right-wing article about Pelosi and Maxine's vacation? Why? Because Trump is trying to deflect because he's got a plan to jet to Mar-a-Lago. He's trying to deflect to Democrats vacations even though the GOP controls the Senate and the House and those GOP leaders left DC too.
Paul Ryan checked out mentally months ago and physically weeks ago.

Quote:
CONGRESSIONAL OFFICES OF CONGRESSMAN PAUL RYAN NOW CLOSED
December 11, 2018
As of Monday, December 10, 2018, all of Congressman Paul Ryan’s offices will be closed as the House of Representatives transitions operations to the New Member-Elect for Wisconsin’s First District.

If you require immediate assistance, we would encourage you to contact either Senator Baldwin’s office at (414) 297-4451 or Senator Johnson’s office at (414) 276-7282.

It has been a pleasure to be of service to you the past 20 years. Thank you.
https://paulryan.house.gov/news/docu...umentID=399062

Old 12-31-2018, 06:56 PM

8,272 posts, read 10,991,123 times
Default How long should the Republicans keep a large part of the Federal Government closed to stop the border wall?

How long should the Republicans keep a large part of the Federal Government closed to stop the border wall?

I don't support the border wall or President Trump, but I wonder how long the Republicans in Congress can hold out and not compromise on the wall funding. Trump could dig in his heels for weeks or months and refuse to sign a budget bill to reopen the government. He does not think much of the federal workers or the government agency missions of the closed departments. Repubs like the federal workers and the work of the civil service workers and contractors, Trump and his base thinks they are all needless bureaucrats- so he has no need to yield.)

On January 11th Federal Workers will not get their next paycheck and there will be lots of pushback. 800,000 Federal Workers won't be paid. I read somewhere that about 500,000 vendors and contractors who work at government facilities are forced to stop work, or to work without pay.

As the weeks pass the situation will get worse and worse. Trump will not care, he wants his wall.

Eventually, the Democrats and Republicans will have to yield and meet in the middle, which will give Trump some wall funding. (If the Repubs just refuse to yield then the government will be in total crisis.

(Please, let's not get into another tired argument about the pros and cons of the border wall or take turns saying how terrible Trump is. There are many posts about this. Let's talk instead about when the Republicans need to give up something- along with the Congressional Democrats- so we can reopen the government.)

Old 12-31-2018, 06:59 PM

3,319 posts, read 2,339,713 times
I expect it will open up shortly after the dems take control of the house, but I also expected it wouldn't shut down in the first place.

Old 12-31-2018, 07:14 PM

62,959 posts, read 29,141,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
wrong trump offered to make 1.8 million dreamers legal, but it was schummer that nixed the deal, and trump then dumped it afterwards.

Not only that but the Democrats wanted to spread that $25 billion over ten years and yes the Democrats would not end the visa lottery nor chain migration which Trump wanted as part of the deal.

Old 12-31-2018, 07:29 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,533,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
Well, they did run on Abolishing ICE ... looks like the easiest way to do that is to not fund Homeland Security which funds ICE. Clever Democrats!

According to the Leftists -- we don't need no stinking Security or FEMA, TSA, Secret Service or any National Security officials.
Alternative facts again?

Old 12-31-2018, 08:00 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,897,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
Well, they did run on Abolishing ICE ... looks like the easiest way to do that is to not fund Homeland Security which funds ICE. Clever Democrats!

According to the Leftists -- we don't need no stinking Security or FEMA, TSA, Secret Service or any National Security officials.
Many on the (far) right already don't want that. You know that right?

Old 12-31-2018, 08:19 PM

9,532 posts, read 16,518,269 times
I worked for the VA during a 6 week shutdown in the 90s. I believe it was 94 or 95. It was 2 months before I received my pay. I remember it was Oct, and wasn't settled until just before Christmas.

I was told I was essential so I worked those 2 months with no pay. While many of my coworkers, were told to go home. I lived in Greater Boston, had a house and commute to pay for. Trying to do a job taking care of patients, with that stress was torture. We had 1 snowstorm after the other that year. It was a miserable terrifying experience. Living with a sudden loss of income is no fun. Thankfully I had other means for income. I had a 2nd job with an airline. Many were not so lucky. Especially those in lower paying jobs.

I notice many that don't work for the Govt, give the impression having so many out of work is ok. Its ok because these workers will eventually be paid. Or the country doesn't need them as employees to begin with. Mostly its because a Federal Employee is disliked in the first place. All I can say is Happy New Year to you also.

I'm just glad the Employees in this shutdown, have been able to sue the Govt. Because we were not allowed to. I can imagine many of them had a less than joyful holiday season. I doubt the shutdown is a big yawn to them.

Old 12-31-2018, 09:34 PM

3,202 posts, read 4,434,090 times
Neither side seems interested in compromise and neither side has the votes to avoid compromise.

Democrats in the House will be able to pass a bill with no money for the wall and democrats in the Senate can block any bill with wall funding.

Trump can veto it and democrats don't have the votes to overcome the veto.

Both sides think they have the upper hand but neither side really has a way to get anything through unless they reach a compromise or one side blinks.

Congressional republicans ALWAYS blink but Trump may not blink until 2020.

Congressional democrats may be willing to risk that Trump will blink for quite awhile.

Federal politics have become so polarized that I don't see much getting done in the next decade or two.

Old 12-31-2018, 09:46 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,222,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post
How long should the Republicans keep a large part of the Federal Government closed to stop the border wall?

I don't support the border wall or President Trump, but I wonder how long the Republicans in Congress can hold out and not compromise on the wall funding. Trump could dig in his heels for weeks or months and refuse to sign a budget bill to reopen the government. He does not think much of the federal workers or the government agency missions of the closed departments. Repubs like the federal workers and the work of the civil service workers and contractors, Trump and his base thinks they are all needless bureaucrats- so he has no need to yield.)

On January 11th Federal Workers will not get their next paycheck and there will be lots of pushback. 800,000 Federal Workers won't be paid. I read somewhere that about 500,000 vendors and contractors who work at government facilities are forced to stop work, or to work without pay.

As the weeks pass the situation will get worse and worse. Trump will not care, he wants his wall.

Eventually, the Democrats and Republicans will have to yield and meet in the middle, which will give Trump some wall funding. (If the Repubs just refuse to yield then the government will be in total crisis.

(Please, let's not get into another tired argument about the pros and cons of the border wall or take turns saying how terrible Trump is. There are many posts about this. Let's talk instead about when the Republicans need to give up something- along with the Congressional Democrats- so we can reopen the government.)
Until funding for the wall is given.

Old 12-31-2018, 09:52 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,274,757 times
People are realizing that the so-called "government shutdown" is more of a bluff than anything. The Valley Forge National Park just next door hasn't been closed for a minute. How do you close a park with no walls or fences? What's there to "close?" The budget is also a fiction. There is no money to begin with. You really think money is moved around when you pay bills? It's all mouse and click.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies