Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2006, 07:49 AM

338 posts, read 1,445,823 times

Advertisements

I received this from a friend: Its kind of depressing...

Tax his land, Tax his bed,Tax the table... At which he's fed.
Tax his tractor, Tax his mule, Tax his cow, Tax his goat,
Tax his pants,Tax his coat.Tax his ties,Tax his shirt,
Tax his work,Tax his dirt.
Tax his tobacco, Tax his drink, Tax him if he tries to think.
Tax his cigars, Tax his beers, If he cries, then Tax his tears.
Tax his car, Tax his gas, Find other ways to tax his a$$
Tax his coffin,Tax his grave, Tax the sod in which he's laid.
When he's gone, Do not relax, Its time to apply the inheritance tax.
[list][*]Accounts Receivable Tax[*]Building Permit Tax[*]CDL license Tax[*]Cigarette Tax[*]Corporate Income Tax[*]Dog License Tax[*]Federal Income Tax[*]Federal Unemployment Tax (FUTA)[*]Fishing License Tax[*]Food License Tax,[*]Fuel permit tax[*]Gasoline Tax (42 cents per gallon)[*]Hunting License Tax[*]Inheritance Tax[*]Interest expense[*]Inventory tax[*]IRS Interest Charges IRS Penalties (tax on top of tax)[*]Liquor Tax[*]Luxury Taxes[*]Marriage License Tax[*]Medicare Tax[*]Property Tax[*]Real Estate Tax[*]Service charge taxes[*]Social Security Tax[*]Road usage taxes[*]Sales Tax[*]Recreational Vehicle Tax[*]School Tax[*]State Income Tax[*]State Unemployment Tax (SUTA)[*]Telephone fed eral excise tax[*]Telephone federal universal service fee tax[*]Telephone federal, state and local surcharge taxes[*]Telephone minimum usage surcharge tax[*]Telephone recurring and non-recurring charges tax</ FONT[*]Telephone state and local tax[*]Telephone usage charge tax[*]Utility Taxes[*]Vehicle License Registration Tax[*]Vehicle Sales Tax[*]Watercraft registration Tax[*]Well Permit Tax[*]Workers[*]Compensation Tax[list]

COMMENTS: Not one of these taxes existed 100 years ago, and our nation was the most prosperous in the world. We had absolutely no national debt, had the largest middle class in the world, and Mom stayed home to raise the kids...YET...
I still have to "press 1" for English
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2006, 05:56 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,754,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heathersmom View Post

[list][*]Accounts Receivable Tax[*]Building Permit Tax[*]CDL license Tax[*]Cigarette Tax[*]Corporate Income Tax[*]Dog License Tax[*]Federal Income Tax[*]Federal Unemployment Tax (FUTA)[*]Fishing License Tax[*]Food License Tax,[*]Fuel permit tax[*]Gasoline Tax (42 cents per gallon)[*]Hunting License Tax[*]Inheritance Tax[*]Interest expense[*]Inventory tax[*]IRS Interest Charges IRS Penalties (tax on top of tax)[*]Liquor Tax[*]Luxury Taxes[*]Marriage License Tax[*]Medicare Tax[*]Property Tax[*]Real Estate Tax[*]Service charge taxes[*]Social Security Tax[*]Road usage taxes[*]Sales Tax[*]Recreational Vehicle Tax[*]School Tax[*]State Income Tax[*]State Unemployment Tax (SUTA)[*]Telephone fed eral excise tax[*]Telephone federal universal service fee tax[*]Telephone federal, state and local surcharge taxes[*]Telephone minimum usage surcharge tax[*]Telephone recurring and non-recurring charges tax</ FONT[*]Telephone state and local tax[*]Telephone usage charge tax[*]Utility Taxes[*]Vehicle License Registration Tax[*]Vehicle Sales Tax[*]Watercraft registration Tax[*]Well Permit Tax[*]Workers[*]Compensation Tax[list]

COMMENTS: Not one of these taxes existed 100 years ago, and our nation was the most prosperous in the world. We had absolutely no national debt, had the largest middle class in the world, and Mom stayed home to raise the kids...YET...
What we need is a time machine. The future of the USA is being a second rate (or worse) communist nation. Thanks democrats and republicans for making the government the biggest it's ever been and still growing! It will grow till it crowds out all who are not a part of it.

Old 12-16-2006, 06:00 PM

2,815 posts, read 12,987,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heathersmom View Post

Actually, the majority of Americans were very poor then and worked the land others owned as well as having to rent the shacks they lived in from the landowners. The average American in 1906 died at the age of 47. For those in cities and who worked in urban environments (and American cities were constantly overrun by malaria and diseases spread by living in filthy conditions), they worked in substandard working conditions where the business owners treated them like cattle and locked them in their workplaces..no safety precautions, no protection or tenant rights, most people didn't own homes, most weren't schooled, no health assistance, little police protection...if anything, life for the average American family in 1906 was really difficult. We are treated now like pampered pets in comparison. I for one would never want to go back in time to that period.
I see your point about taxes having run amok, but have to keep perspective as well.

Last edited by MoMark; 12-16-2006 at 06:09 PM..

Old 12-17-2006, 08:39 AM

1,104 posts, read 3,334,670 times
I don't picture most of it like that, MoMark. I see it as a time when people really had the opportunity to achieve the American dream. Think of all the beautiful homes that were built then. Did they belong to a tiny few? Yes, new immigrants in the cities had poor working conditions, but didn't many of them work their way out of there? It was a time when we were saying "give us your poor" and they were coming, but asking for no hand outs. Those were the times that people, like my great-great-grandfather (no higher education, no foreign competition, just determination) walked from New England to Michigan and worked hard to eventually become a millionaire.
I'm not saying life was better then, but the lack of taxes didn't cause the poor to be poor and the addition of so many taxes hasn't really improved life in the US.

Old 12-17-2006, 09:21 AM

9,324 posts, read 26,754,889 times
I know from the experiences of my ancestors as well, if you were having a bad life in the city you could have just gone west (or south). It is true that black Americans didn't have the same opportunity but those of us of European descent has the whole country in front of us to work with, and after the Civil War was over, manufacturing picked up and innovation was #1 in the USA. Those able to innovate were the most likely to become millionaires. Although the government allowed some people (canrgie, Rockefeller, e.t.c.) to form monopolies there were still others who invented with no financial backing (Edison, Wright brothers ) and went on to success. In today's bankrupt US you need a ton of borrowed money from the financial elite to form any big company. And instead if innovation, wealth now comes from marketing. The US looks down on it's engineers and researchers but up to it's sports celebrities and media personalities. Opportunity remains today, but only at the permission of the elite. There's a safety net for the poor that there never was, but poor people today live in bad or worse conditions, look at how many homeless roam the streets!

Old 12-20-2006, 08:17 PM

4 posts, read 34,011 times
Taxes are necessary to support those that do not contribute to society. In the large city near where I reside, 75 persent of all hospital births are born to illegal immigrants. The taxes you pay are paying for what they are getting, but you can't even get a reduction on, much less get for free. It's so accepted that there are more Mexicans here than Anglos, that even the gov't sends letters in Spanish. I am a disabled Vet and I received a letter from the VA about future care, like nursing homes, and one side of the letter was English and the other side was Spanish. Now, who would want to serve in wartime with someone who did not know English? ("Hey, hit the ground!" "No, Ingles!") In 1836, one of my ancestors stood on the river near Gonzales and told the Mexicans if they wanted the canon to "come and get it" and it wasn't long until the Texas Revolution, but we thought we had won freedom. I don't think they realize the Come and Get It words were fighting words. Now, it seems to be an open invitation to come and get free rent, free food, free medical care, and send everything you can out of this country. Our tax dollars are supporting this.

Old 10-27-2010, 05:05 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,634,295 times
This is the best thread I have read today and one of the least read. Sad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies