Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-23-2018, 08:13 AM

4,587 posts, read 2,598,716 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaper View Post
And it didn't matter what school selected him, they would still have a thread complaining about it. If it was a non ivy league school, they would be taunting he couldn't get into an ivy league. With some this kid just can't win no matter what he does. He is now important enough for them to follow from here on out. This won't be the last David Hogg thread.
Indeed, had he gone to Florida St they would have belittled him and by extension everyone who attends a State School. Had he gone to NYU or BYU same deal. Some folks are just not nice and they find other not nice people to join them in attacking others to feel better about themselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2018, 08:14 AM

9,727 posts, read 9,730,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
https://www.washingtonpost.com/educa...=.895c3e3f195f

It was so mean-spirited of her to go after a 17-year-old victim of a high school mass shooting. Good for him. He'll become much more admired and accomplished in his life than she ever will.
Hogg was NOT a victim. He was not even there.

Old 12-23-2018, 08:15 AM

30,371 posts, read 19,170,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
My husband got a combined 950 out of 1600 and graduated with nearly perfect GPA at undergrad and went on to get a PhD (in the hard sciences). He has always loved that field of study and pursued it unapologetically.

My score was 1460 out of 1600 and I struggled at the "good" college I went to because I forced myself through a major I hated and had no aptitude for. As soon as I switched majors (from Business Administration to Econ), my grades shot up.

It's not so much the college (provided it's an accredited legit university) as it is pursuing the right path of study.
Wow, 950 is amazingly terrible....did he even try? Well, what you said he did is impressive so congrats...I think some people are so dedicated and focused that they make up for lesser intelligence with determination and hard work and hats off to anyone that does.

I honestly forgot about the SAT test until my Mom woke me up early on the morning of the test after I had gone out and gotten stoned and drunk and I didn't study 1 second for the test and scored the 2nd highest in my HS graduating class and top 2% nationally.

Old 12-23-2018, 08:17 AM

10,800 posts, read 3,594,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
Hogg was NOT a victim. He was not even there.
Yes he was and your talking point has been debunked many, many times. Deal with it.

Old 12-23-2018, 08:18 AM

9 posts, read 5,571 times
And? All this proves is you don't need to be the top of the top to get into these type of schools. You can have average grades and be accepted for "political reasons" This clown has used the death of his classmates to make himself a celebrity. Big ego. He can give a rats @ss about his classmates. It's all about himself. He is profiting from his own schoolmates deaths.

Old 12-23-2018, 08:20 AM

9,727 posts, read 9,730,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Harvard does not want book smart but rather those who are able to use what they learn and change the world with it! Congrats Mr. Hogg! You will accomplish great things one day!
If you can't get accepted based on grades, you won't last long. He may attend for a semester or two, but will fail out if he thinks his "reputation" will pass his tests or qualify for classwork.

Old 12-23-2018, 08:20 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,490,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Random12354321 View Post
this proves is you don't need to be the top of the top to get into these type of schools. You can have average grades
4.2 GPA is average?

Old 12-23-2018, 08:24 AM

4,135 posts, read 2,839,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
For anyone who has their panties in a knot over David Hogg getting into Harvard, I can only offer you my thoughts and prayers
Yep, I knew they’d be triggered by this news, hahaa.

Old 12-23-2018, 08:28 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karlsch View Post
And a far more qualified Asian-American applicant was rejected.

Hogg said he had a mediocre for Harvard 1270 SAT score. Only football and basketball players are accepted with scores like that.
Or those with wealthy families who pledge $ multi- million tax deductible donations to the school.

There’s a 2006 book, The Price of Admission, that goes into this in detail- less than stallar students who are accepted at elite universities following huge pledges of donations. The Viet Nam War years were ripe for such arrangements at all schools, not just elite, as wealthy families bought student deferments for their kids.

Reportedly, the Kushner family is one of them. Daddy made a multi- year $2.5 million pledge before Jared was accepted. His scores, class ranking and SAT were not bad but not in the range that would have gotten him into an Ivy League.

Old 12-23-2018, 08:30 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
https://www.washingtonpost.com/educa...=.895c3e3f195f

It was so mean-spirited of her to go after a 17-year-old victim of a high school mass shooting. Good for him. He'll become much more admired and accomplished in his life than she ever will.
She is a conservative commentator. Its her job.

Political science....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies