Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-23-2018, 06:22 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,678,698 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Absolom View Post
He'll actually have to do college-level school work. When he drops out because it's too hard, no one will be surprised.

He'll drop out and claim it's because he wants more time for his "activism."
Just like Bill Gates and Jobs and all those other dropouts.

His life is his. I wish him well. If your brood was entering Harvard I'd wish you well.

My prodigy only made it into Boalt Hall (like #6 or #7). She couldn't get into the top 3....it's tough, tough, tough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2018, 06:29 PM

15,866 posts, read 21,445,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
He gets rejected by California schools but Harvard accepts him?????????
He applied to schools before he did anything notable or recognizable.

That changed.

Old 12-23-2018, 06:32 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karlsch View Post
And a far more qualified Asian-American applicant was rejected.

Hogg said he had a mediocre for Harvard 1270 SAT score. Only football and basketball players are accepted with scores like that.
So what? What’s it to you who gets into Harvard?

Old 12-23-2018, 06:32 PM

1,279 posts, read 853,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Honors/AP courses in our district were graded on a 5.0 scale. An A in an honors/AP course was a 5.0, and a B was a 4.0. Your weighted GPA took into account the 5.0 scale. I am not familiar with what you are describing, but I can tell you that this year's incoming class at Harvard had an average GPA of 4.1. David Hogg graduated with a 4.2, so clearly some of his classes were graded on a 5.0 scale, indicating that he earned excellent grades in at least a few Honors/AP classes. In any case, Harvard's admissions department must have seen something worthwhile in David; otherwise, he would not have been admitted. I'm happy for him, and as I told the son of a friend who was also admitted to a highly-competitive university, it's an excellent start. Now, let's see what young Mr. Hogg can do with it.
I can tell you that Harvard takes GPAs of incoming classes, adjusts them so that they are unweighted, and then reports them.

Example: it will take someone's weighted 5.0 GPA and adjust it so that it's unweighted (4.0), and then report it, as a 4.0.

Thus David Hogg's 4.2 would be adjusted downward before Harvard reports it as part of its incoming class GPA.

Plus I would expect that incoming Harvard undergrads took a huge number of honors classes- likely more than "some of" the classes that David Hogg took.

I'm also happy for David Hogg. Clearly holistic admissions got him in, not IQ/grades/test scores, as he's clearly accomplished a lot outside of the library.

Old 12-23-2018, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
So what? What’s it to you who gets into Harvard?
To me it's potentially a misallocation of resources that dilutes the value of my diploma. I'd prefer a kid with a 1600 SAT and an unweighted 4.0, as some admissions studies that I saw a few years ago shows that IQ correlates with accomplishment much more than any "holistic" criteria do. (That means that if you take 1,000 18-year olds who sound amazing yet have a 120 IQ, they won't accomplish as much in life as 1,000 18-year olds who sound boring yet have a 160 IQ.)

Old 12-23-2018, 06:53 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PuppiesandKittens View Post
To me it's potentially a misallocation of resources that dilutes the value of my diploma. I'd prefer a kid with a 1600 SAT and an unweighted 4.0, as some admissions studies that I saw a few years ago shows that IQ correlates with accomplishment much more than any "holistic" criteria do. (That means that if you take 1,000 18-year olds who sound amazing yet have a 120 IQ, they won't accomplish as much in life as 1,000 18-year olds who sound boring yet have a 160 IQ.)
Stop. That’s absolutely ridiculous.

Harvard took Jared Kushner with his dad’s millions, and alums have had no complaints. That’s because his acceptance came with $2.5 million dollars attached.

But when some no-name kid without those millions gets in with Kushner’s credentials, now you’re all up in arms. Gimme a break. LMAO!!

Old 12-23-2018, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Stop. That’s absolutely ridiculous.

Harvard took Jared Kushner with his dad’s millions, and alums have had no complaints. That’s because his acceptance came with $2.5 million dollars attached.

But when some no-name kid without those millions gets in with Kushner’s credentials, now you’re all up in arms. Gimme a break. LMAO!!
That's not true at all.

I have complained about Kushner, and so have my classmates.

I'd prefer David Hogg, since at least David Hogg has accomplished something on his own.

Old 12-23-2018, 07:01 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,870,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
He applied to schools before he did anything notable or recognizable.

That changed.
Notable is covering up for the failure of his dads agency to protect those kids? El Chappo should have been accepted into Harvard. He could donate more than 2.5 mil and he's notable.

Old 12-23-2018, 07:09 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,215,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
Notable is covering up for the failure of his dads agency to protect those kids? El Chappo should have been accepted into Harvard. He could donate more than 2.5 mil and he's notable.
An 18 year old is responsible for the actions of the FBI? I suppose that means you will be fine with Barron Trump being sent to prison if his father does, since surely he's responsible for any failings of his parent too then?

Old 12-23-2018, 07:27 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,870,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
An 18 year old is responsible for the actions of the FBI?
How in the world did you come up with this? LMAO He's deflecting and covering up for the failure of the authorities to act, including his dads agency.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
I suppose that means you will be fine with Barron Trump being sent to prison if his father does, since surely he's responsible for any failings of his parent too then?
I'd be fine if you didn't make things up when responding to my posts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies