Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2018, 12:30 PM

19,610 posts, read 12,212,859 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CentralUSHomeowner View Post
We are the exact opposite and we have not taken our decision lightly. We provided our kids with a good home, solid advice and made sure they had the tools necessary to "get ahead" and provide for themselves. What we have seen is a rejection of lifestyle choices necessary to get ahead. They may change over the next decade and we may change our minds..but as of now, it's not looking great for them.
They think you'll fold and come to their rescue. It usually happens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2018, 01:45 PM

9,080 posts, read 6,305,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Oh, horse feathers! For one thing, even the oldest of Boomers were children in the 1950s. I remember the later years of the 50s as I was born in 1949. I don't think anyone wants to go back to the days of polio, measles, mumps, rubella, chickenpox all of which were extant then. Cancer was a death sentence. Lots of people, especially men, died in their 50s from heart disease.

TV was in its infancy. If you lived in a large city, you got maybe 3-4 channels. No cable, satellite, sling TV, etc. Cars were less safe and had fewer features.

Socially, women were confined to roles like wife, mother, unmarried spinster-lady. Nursing and teaching were about the only professions for women at the time. Men had more freedom, but were still confined to pretty much strictly "male" roles.

I can't imagine anyone who lived then wanted to go back to that lifestyle. Where on earth did you get that idea?
I made a similar point up thread and I appreciate you restating it because this idea that conservatives are pushing to go back to the 1950's is complete nonsense. Yeah there my be some small fringe religious extremists out there who promote the idea but they are not representative of typical conservatives at all.

I have become more conservative with age but only from a fiscal perspective and that is because I am trying to protect the assets I have accumulated from all the taxes, fees, permits and licensing requirement that Democrats have heaped on people over the years. I am very socially liberal. Legalize all drugs. I do not care if gay people want to be married. I do not care if women have abortions. I do not care if people want to change genders, I don't see it as logical but I won't stand in the way of somebody doing it (as long as I do not have to pay for it.) My belief is live and let live as long as I don't have to pay for someone else's life choices.

It is funny because liberals claim that conservatives try to restrict people but it is the Democrats who are always pushing for more laws, regulations and government agencies to control (and thus restrict) people. Young people haven't learned that and some remain blind to it for decades.

Old 12-24-2018, 02:18 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,806,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Absolom View Post
Forced diversity as a policy scares me. "Diversity" isn't necessarily a virtue; in fact it can cause more social friction. But in the end "diversity" just means less ypipo.
What about forced cultural homogeneity? That’s what Republicans want.

Old 12-24-2018, 02:25 PM

9,080 posts, read 6,305,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
What about forced cultural homogeneity? That’s what Republicans want.
There is a middle ground. Some level of cultural bonding is important. We don't need to settle for either extreme. When I hear liberals demanding diversity in dating that is when things have gone too far. Dating is built on personal preferences and has nothing to with diversity or discrimination.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies