Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2018, 12:54 PM

1,279 posts, read 852,224 times

Advertisements

When you hear that someone is a Libertarian, do you think anything particular about the person--and anything particularly good or bad? Or are there so few Libertarians out there that you think nothing of it?

For example, what if you child was dating someone and your child told you that the person is a Libertarian? Or you saw that a regular acquaintance who you don't know well has a Libertarian bumper sticker?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2018, 01:00 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 4 days ago)

35,614 posts, read 17,948,343 times
Well, I'm a libertarian and I really like it when I hear others are.

My guess is, libertarians have higher IQs than average, and are able to think independently, making each decision on the basis of merit and not from being affiliated with one political party framework.

So yes. I would be happy to be in the company of other libertarians.

Old 12-23-2018, 01:04 PM

3,318 posts, read 2,337,661 times
When I think of a Libertarian, I think fiscally conservative and socially liberal with the exception of the Second Amendment, which they usually line up with conservatives on.

I don't think they're any smarter, or dumber than anyone else, nor do I think they're better or worse people. They just have a different viewpoint than I do.

Old 12-23-2018, 01:13 PM

30,628 posts, read 18,209,295 times
I think occasional election spoilers

Old 12-23-2018, 01:25 PM

251 posts, read 148,415 times
I call them “Republican Lite”. Much like what Diet Pepsi is to Pepsi, or what Coke Zero is to Coke.

At the end of the day, “Lite”/ “Diet”/“Zero” (or whatever) all have a horrible aftertaste, not really that much better for you, and one might as well just swallow the real thing since it’s all bad for your health.

Just refrain from “Republican Lite”.

Old 12-23-2018, 01:40 PM

5,301 posts, read 2,353,723 times
I'd be a little bit relieved. There are different types of libertarians, some who I disagree with on a lot of things, but I can generally assume they're principled people who care about consistency in their arguments. That makes it a lot easier to have an honest conversation.

With Democrats and Republicans, it's sort of hit or miss. A lot of people out there simply don't care if they contradict themselves or make irrational arguments, as long as they get the outcome they want.

Old 12-23-2018, 01:52 PM

5,301 posts, read 2,353,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aflyguy View Post
I call them “Republican Lite”. Much like what Diet Pepsi is to Pepsi, or what Coke Zero is to Coke.

At the end of the day, “Lite”/ “Diet”/“Zero” (or whatever) all have a horrible aftertaste, not really that much better for you, and one might as well just swallow the real thing since it’s all bad for your health.

Just refrain from “Republican Lite”.
I think there are 2 main factions of libertarians, and one of them fits what you described.

You have the Gary Johnson/Bill Weld/Libertarian Party types who think the best strategy is to market themselves as a little bit Democrat, a little bit Republican, and try to appeal to as many people that way as possible.

Then you have Tom Woods/Mises types who are upset with that strategy. They'd say libertarianism is it's very own philosophy, and not just some watered down mixture of the two main parties.

Dave Smith is a libertarian comedian who talked about it on Joe Rogan's podcast...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=goNp9DVC9t4&t=456s

Old 12-23-2018, 01:56 PM

9,897 posts, read 3,428,042 times
Libertarians are Republicans who want to smoke pot.

Old 12-23-2018, 02:20 PM

1,406 posts, read 800,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by conradkk View Post
such a silly question. libertarians are nothing more than conservative/republicans

They're just more bitter and jaded.

it's that simple
Such a silly answer.

Most libertarians are pro-choice, believe drugs should be legalized along with other victimless crimes like prostitution, support gay marriage (or rather oppose government being involved with marriage in the first place), oppose farm subsidies, support relaxing restrictions on immigration, oppose protectionist policies and tariffs, oppose spreading (and using) our military all over the world.

Libertarians have as much in common with democrats as republicans.

As for my answer, as a libertarian-leaning person, I get a little nervous when I hear someone else is a libertarian, as I never know which of the few government functions I consider valid they will be vehemently opposed to

Old 12-23-2018, 02:23 PM

11,904 posts, read 5,584,814 times
Are we discussing Libertarians with a capital "L," or a lowercase one?

I don't believe they are the same thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies