Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2019, 09:47 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,618,251 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Anarchists don't bring up roads ad nauseam. Statists do.

Of course anarchy isn't popular. You have to be willing to admit that the safety you have is merely an illusion. You have to dump the brainwashing of the moral and logical legitimacy within the fictional Social Contract paradigm.

The State-mandated propaganda centers don't touch any of this aside from a brief cursory passing here and there.

I can't speak for the other anarchists on here (not talking about Libertarians or other limited government statists) but I know this much...

When I realized I was an anarchist three things happened:

1. I immediately knew that I couldn't go back to statism if I tried. The emperor is not wearing any clothes. Once you admit that to yourself you can't go back to claiming he is in full garb. The brain won't allow it. Take that up with my neurons if you're so inclined.

2. I figured out that I had been an anarchist all along...I just didn't know it. This is key because it speaks to the natural condition of man: born into poverty, free from contractual obligations, and unable to survive if he doesn't receive charity/is protected from NAP violators by voluntary means (parents usually do this).

Of course statists don't believe this...or have forgotten it is more like it. You are born into the social contract and you are owed a rearing/standard of living by the collective...which makes sense to you folks because you believe that in exchange for getting a bottle of milk fed to you at one-day-old you have agreed not to fish in a lake during the winter when you turn 18.

3. People immediately thought I was trying to scam them or that I was "doing anarchy" as a way to be above the fray of politics. I swear we get more venom than child molesters and con man who swindle elderly folks out of their savings. And for what? Non-aggression and respect private property? On the bright side this reaction has definitely cemented my resolve that this is morally and logically the right approach. My life improved dramatically once I started to practice more of what I believed/preached.
A paradigm shift can happen by people merely changing their minds.

"Paradigm Shifts

"throughout history, the really fundamental changes in societies have come about not from the dictates of governments and the results of battles but through vast numbers of people changing their minds — sometimes only a little bit." Understanding Change

(keep on thinking free)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2019, 03:29 AM

8,278 posts, read 6,288,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
Let's face it, this thread, (& countless others ), is evidence the philosophy simply cannot get beyond the issue of 'roads'.

Also worth noting the political philosophy (or whatever) has been found to be severely lacking the necessary robustness evidenced by its showing in the marketplace of ideas.
Actually my post was satire, for the few of us who have embraced the philosophy. I also raised Somalia, and the Social Contract for the trifecta.

Old 01-09-2019, 03:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
The original argument is that roads can’t be built without the government.

I provided a real life example of oil drilling as the model for building roads without government.
Sure I understand your point, but the issue is that your example often resolves to state force employment.

Old 01-09-2019, 03:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
If you have the money you can get it done, government or not. Or are you pushing for Communism where everyone is on an equal footing?
I'm pushing for equality, with no one entity having legal ability to initiate force, regardless of the thickness of someone's wallet, or mystical piece of paper. If that makes me a communist in your opinion that's fine. However I'm all about free markets, which is kind of anathema to communist principles.

Old 01-09-2019, 04:49 AM

13,240 posts, read 4,944,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Anarchists don't bring up roads ad nauseam. Statists do.

Of course anarchy isn't popular. You have to be willing to admit that the safety you have is merely an illusion. You have to dump the brainwashing of the moral and logical legitimacy within the fictional Social Contract paradigm.

The State-mandated propaganda centers don't touch any of this aside from a brief cursory passing here and there.

I can't speak for the other anarchists on here (not talking about Libertarians or other limited government statists) but I know this much...

When I realized I was an anarchist three things happened:

1. I immediately knew that I couldn't go back to statism if I tried. The emperor is not wearing any clothes. Once you admit that to yourself you can't go back to claiming he is in full garb. The brain won't allow it. Take that up with my neurons if you're so inclined.

2. I figured out that I had been an anarchist all along...I just didn't know it. This is key because it speaks to the natural condition of man: born into poverty, free from contractual obligations, and unable to survive if he doesn't receive charity/is protected from NAP violators by voluntary means (parents usually do this).

Of course statists don't believe this...or have forgotten it is more like it. You are born into the social contract and you are owed a rearing/standard of living by the collective...which makes sense to you folks because you believe that in exchange for getting a bottle of milk fed to you at one-day-old you have agreed not to fish in a lake during the winter when you turn 18.

3. People immediately thought I was trying to scam them or that I was "doing anarchy" as a way to be above the fray of politics. I swear we get more venom than child molesters and con men who swindle elderly folks out of their savings. And for what? Non-aggression and respect of private property? On the bright side this reaction has definitely cemented my resolve that this is morally and logically the right approach. My life improved dramatically once I started to practice more of what I believed/preached.
Most people, no matter how they identify, simply want to 'vet' in the free marketplace of ideas.

Old 01-09-2019, 04:53 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,318,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
I'm pushing for equality, with no one entity having legal ability to initiate force, regardless of the thickness of someone's wallet, or mystical piece of paper. If that makes me a communist in your opinion that's fine. However I'm all about free markets, which is kind of anathema to communist principles.
I know no other way to put this. You are talking out of both sides of your mouth.

Old 01-09-2019, 04:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
Actually my post was satire, for the few of us who have embraced the philosophy. I also raised Somalia, and the Social Contract for the trifecta.
I get that, 'different strokes for different folks & all', however the classic libertarian dilemma, the proposition of replacing jacka$$es with unicorns doesn't have the tendency to be a workable problem-solving alternative.

Old 01-09-2019, 05:06 AM

Quote:
I get that, 'different strokes for different folks & all', however the classic libertarian dilemma, the proposition of replacing jacka$$es with unicorns doesn't have the tendency to be a workable problem-solving alternative.
To be fair, most are not arguing Libertarianism but rather, something else.

Old 01-09-2019, 05:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
To be fair, most are not arguing Libertarianism but rather, something else.
If I'm not mistaken, the OP was attempting to collect info re: libertarianism? Yes? No?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuppiesandKittens View Post
When you hear that someone is a Libertarian, do you think anything particular about the person--and anything particularly good or bad? Or are there so few Libertarians out there that you think nothing of it?

For example, what if you child was dating someone and your child told you that the person is a Libertarian? Or you saw that a regular acquaintance who you don't know well has a Libertarian bumper sticker?

Thanks.

Old 01-09-2019, 05:14 AM

Quote:
If I'm not mistaken, the OP was attempting to collect info re: libertarianism? Yes? No?
Yes they were. Most who have made arguments here are not discussing Libertarianism but something else. Libertarian's support the Constitution as written and are not anti-government.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies