Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2018, 07:11 PM

2,448 posts, read 893,685 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by neon55 View Post
In case you didn't know Trump was a Democrat most of his life. He decided to become a Republican to con Conservative in to voting for him. He knew no Democrat would vote for the Orange loser because they could see who he really was nothing but a Con man.
Don't delude yourself. Had he supported abortion-on-demand, argued for sweeping restrictions on gun ownership, supported amnesty, taken pains to acknowledge his "white privilege," et cetera, you folks would've sold your souls, too. After all, you coalesced around the Clintons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2018, 07:26 PM

11,046 posts, read 5,270,624 times
Quote:
In case you didn't know Trump was a Democrat most of his life. He decided to become a Republican to con Conservative in to voting for him. He knew no Democrat would vote for the Orange loser because they could see who he really was nothing but a Con man.

nah, Democrats voted for the Clintons, talk about "con man" duo, you got 2 for 1. They came broke into politics and left multi-millionaires and a foundation worth billions.

Trump is not governing as a Democrat....Trump has been so far more conservative than the Bushes and the last 2 previous Rinos who ran for President and lost (Mccain and Romney)

Old 12-27-2018, 07:31 PM

12,601 posts, read 7,225,728 times
I don't mind Kasich. He would have gotten my vote.

If he ends up on a future ticket, he may still.

Old 12-27-2018, 07:32 PM

11,046 posts, read 5,270,624 times
Quote:
Too bad a common sense conservative like John Kasich has no place in today's Republicans party is considered a Rino he would make a great President.
Kasich is not a conservative. He is a Republican globalist of endless wars, endless occupations, open borders, amnesty, a bad trade deals (he supports NAFTA and TPP)

But if you love him so much, take him to your party. You only love Kasich until he runs against a Democrat in the general then Kasich is a racist, warmonger that hate women.

They did the same cr@p to Mccain and Romney. They loved them until the ran in the general against the Democrats and got destroyed.

Old 12-27-2018, 07:49 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,862,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
It's equally sad that the Democratic party can't bet behind a "moderate" like Kasich. IMO, he should think of switching parties and bring something close to sanity to the Dems. He'd be a counter for the loons like Ocasio-Cortez and Mad Maxine.
He is not a "moderate"""
He supported some pretty conservative anti women's rights legislation to play to conservative voters
He is Mike Pence with darker hair
And maybe a little smarter

Old 12-27-2018, 09:06 PM

13,653 posts, read 9,711,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiociolliscalves View Post
It also bears note that your brand of Republicanism is not the traditional brand, from Lincoln through TR through Ike through Nixon. One might argue that folks like you are the "Republicans In Name Only," given how far away you are from the traditions of the GOP. Most of the folks in your faction are more like warmed-over Libertarians.
While I can’t presume to speak for the poster in question, this may be a good point to recite the various flavors of conservative:

• Social/religious conservative: anti-choice, generally prefers stronger role for religion in public life, skeptical of “alternative” lifestyles, decries perceived “immorality”.
• Cultural conservative: there’s a thing called “American culture”, that should be venerated and preserved. This includes things like guns, but is deeper than that. It makes America distinct from England or elsewhere in Western Europe, but nevertheless is rooted in a distinctly American blend of English/Irish/Scottish/German provenance.
• Economic conservative (old-style): maximally free-trade and limited regulation. No social safety net.
• Economic conservative (new-style): tariffs and protectionism, and other methods of government influence, to promote (as goes the hypothesis) maximal creation of domestic jobs.
• Nationalist: overt and vehement preference for citizens over other residents, and all residents over anyone else. Unwavering belief in “exceptionalism”, skepticism of international involvement, and preference for national interest – even if that’s a negative worldwide overall.
• Localist: belief that local jurisdictions know things and do things better than the states, and that the states know things and do things better than the federal government.
• Philosophical conservative: risk-averse, believing in evolutionary and incremental change. Skeptical of any sudden or comprehensive moves, be they public or private, federal or local.
• Anti-populist (for lack of a better term): belief that specially groomed, trained and enlightened people should rule on behalf of the public. Skeptical of democracy and of popular sovereignty. Tolerant of aristocracy, as a better alternative to mob-rule.

Kasich is a social/religious conservative, though a soft-spoken one, and amenable to occasional compromise. He also has elements of old-style economic conservative, and a bit of philosophical conservative.

Trump goes around talking like a social conservative at times, but he’s really more of a new-style economic conservative and a nationalist.

Speaking personally, I’m a philosophical conservative and an anti-populist. But I’m also an anti-localist (making me a “liberal”) and somewhat of an old-style economic conservative. In other words, and anti-Trumper.

Old 12-27-2018, 09:45 PM

2,305 posts, read 2,408,778 times
Quote:
Too bad a common sense conservative like John Kasich has no place in today's Republicans party is considered a Rino he would make a great President.
he is a globalist moron.

Old 12-28-2018, 11:21 AM

5,981 posts, read 2,235,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
While I can’t presume to speak for the poster in question, this may be a good point to recite the various flavors of conservative:

• Social/religious conservative: anti-choice, generally prefers stronger role for religion in public life, skeptical of “alternative” lifestyles, decries perceived “immorality”.
• Cultural conservative: there’s a thing called “American culture”, that should be venerated and preserved. This includes things like guns, but is deeper than that. It makes America distinct from England or elsewhere in Western Europe, but nevertheless is rooted in a distinctly American blend of English/Irish/Scottish/German provenance.
• Economic conservative (old-style): maximally free-trade and limited regulation. No social safety net.
• Economic conservative (new-style): tariffs and protectionism, and other methods of government influence, to promote (as goes the hypothesis) maximal creation of domestic jobs.
• Nationalist: overt and vehement preference for citizens over other residents, and all residents over anyone else. Unwavering belief in “exceptionalism”, skepticism of international involvement, and preference for national interest – even if that’s a negative worldwide overall.
• Localist: belief that local jurisdictions know things and do things better than the states, and that the states know things and do things better than the federal government.
• Philosophical conservative: risk-averse, believing in evolutionary and incremental change. Skeptical of any sudden or comprehensive moves, be they public or private, federal or local.
• Anti-populist (for lack of a better term): belief that specially groomed, trained and enlightened people should rule on behalf of the public. Skeptical of democracy and of popular sovereignty. Tolerant of aristocracy, as a better alternative to mob-rule.

Kasich is a social/religious conservative, though a soft-spoken one, and amenable to occasional compromise. He also has elements of old-style economic conservative, and a bit of philosophical conservative.

Trump goes around talking like a social conservative at times, but he’s really more of a new-style economic conservative and a nationalist.

Speaking personally, I’m a philosophical conservative and an anti-populist. But I’m also an anti-localist (making me a “liberal”) and somewhat of an old-style economic conservative. In other words, and anti-Trumper.

Many of these ideas run counter to one another. I think this is why conservatives become triggered with each other in debates where it seems they would agree. Your all using the same word but use different definitions without clarifying what position or point of view is being used. That ambiguity seems purposeful in allowing politicians to just say "I'm a conservative" without getting nailed down to a position. I'm sure democrats have a similar tactic as well, not ragging on conservatives.

Old 12-28-2018, 11:30 AM

50,370 posts, read 63,964,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Town FFX View Post
I don't mind Kasich. He would have gotten my vote.

If he ends up on a future ticket, he may still.
I feel that way. As a former Ohioan, I always liked him. He was my guy in the primary until the end. His bad attitude and failure to support the president soured me on him. I notice Kasich is starting to show up on TV. He seems to have been cleaned up and spiffed up for his appearances. His face doesn’t look like 40 miles of bad road anymore. Maybe he’s just rested. I think he’ll run in 20, but I wish he’d wait until 24.

Old 12-28-2018, 11:52 AM

662 posts, read 313,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merriman80 View Post
Kasich isn't that moderate.

He's as moderate as Hillary.
Hillary is a right winger.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies