Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2018, 07:02 AM

2,306 posts, read 1,704,148 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
Prove that they are democratic voters.

The proof generally used is political donations. Federal workers donated more to Clinton during the last election than to Trump. The assumption is you send money to the party you belong to/feel closer too. https://federalnewsnetwork.com/mike-...e-money-trail/

Quote:

Just before the 2016 presidential election, The Hill reported that “Federal government employees are opening their wallets to help Hillary Clinton beat Donald Trump on Nov. 8.”

It checked Federal Election Commission records and reported that of the roughly $2 million given by feds in 14 agencies, “about $1.9 million, or 95 percent, went to” Clinton, the Democrat. I...

...The FEC data covered only contributions of $200 or more. And there is no way of knowing how many of the contributors were Democratic political appointees who had a vested — as well ideological interest — in the Democrats retaining control of the White House. Like maybe keeping their six-figure jobs for another four, maybe eight years.

Old 12-28-2018, 07:04 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,490,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
If it goes into April.

There likely will be delays even for February and March filers. The longer the shutdown, the longer the delay.

Old 12-28-2018, 07:05 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,634,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMBGBlueCanary View Post
It always surprises me to hear most government workers are Democrats. But that's my own skewed perspective. Most of the ones I know are veterans and were Trump supporters (judging by yard signs a few year ago). But I googled it and sure enough, most federal workers don't donate money to any political party, but those that do give overwhelming more to Democrats.

I really think Congress and the President should do nothing but work on a budget, period. They can't leave Washington until they all put on their big boy and girl pants and figure something out (and learn to compromise like adults do).

Divided we fall. American's oversea opponents are loving this.

The continuing CR is a Democrat ploy, to use as leverage to get what they want. Then shut it down!

Trump.... OK!

Old 12-28-2018, 07:05 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times
Quote:
If it goes into April, which would be awesome!
Majority of federal workforce is, Democrats not getting paid.
Trump said so. It must be true :rolleyes

Old 12-28-2018, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Anecdotally, the largest branch (DoD) runs HOT republican. I'm sure it varies by agency and mission based on the types of personalities that are attracted to the type of work. For instance, I would bet that Dept. of State, all the intelligence agencies, and DHS are majority republican. EPA, Education, HUD probably democrat.

Yeah, a lot of my neighbors work for the DoD, so that makes sense. I also know (have) friends in the intelligence agencies and you are right that they are Republican as well (all except one retired FBI agent I know).

Honestly though, does it really matter who is and who isn't what party? Federal workers do an important job and as others have said, have families to support. Also being hit are government contractors (many of whom are heavy with military vet owners and workers who tend to lean right). Business owners are also being impacted since their customers are federal workers. So it's silly to claim this only hurts the Democratic base (it hurts everyone across a wide spectrum).

And in the end, the taxpayers still foot the bill, we "save" nothing all while hurting a lot of ordinary American families.

I live in the Washington DC area and I can see the impact in a concentrated area. The only "good" thing about the shutdown is traffic is lighter. I still go to work every afternoon and it's a breeze right now between the holidays, schools being closed, and the federal government being closed.

Old 12-28-2018, 07:08 AM

4,288 posts, read 2,060,202 times
Quote:
If it goes into April, which would be awesome!
Majority of federal workforce is, Democrats not getting paid.
What does that have to do with anything?

Old 12-28-2018, 07:08 AM

Quote:
The continuing CR is a Democrat ploy, to use as leverage to get what they want. Then shut it down!

Trump.... OK!

I blame all the politicians: Trump, the Republicans, and the Democrats.

Old 12-28-2018, 07:11 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,662,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMBGBlueCanary View Post
Yeah, a lot of my neighbors work for the DoD, so that makes sense. I also know (have) friends in the intelligence agencies and you are right that they are Republican as well (all except one retired FBI agent I know).

Honestly though, does it really matter who is and who isn't what party? Federal workers do an important job and as others have said, have families to support. Also being hit are government contractors (many of whom are heavy with military vet owners and workers who tend to lean right). Business owners are also being impacted since their customers are federal workers. So it's silly to claim this only hurts the Democratic base (it hurts everyone across a wide spectrum).

And in the end, the taxpayers still foot the bill, we "save" nothing all while hurting a lot of ordinary American families.

I live in the Washington DC area and I can see the impact in a concentrated area. The only "good" thing about the shutdown is traffic is lighter. I still go to work every afternoon and it's a breeze right now between the holidays, schools being closed, and the federal government being closed.

I live in the DC area too!! Anyway, I actually do feel most upset about the contractors who are barred from working (not all are). Traditionally, they never get compensated. I wish the local news here in DC would focus on them instead of the federal workers. That probably doesn't make me popular but it's true.

Old 12-28-2018, 07:11 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,634,918 times
Quote:
Prove that they are democratic voters.

What government agencies employees are for eliminating their own job.
Meet Trump.
"I was elected to return Washington DC, back to you... THE PEOPLE"

Trump has used the Democrat CR ploy, against the Democrats(Schumer). Just like he did last time with DACA a year ago.
Now, it will be Pelosi and Schumer, who will cave.

You think Trump cares if he is re-elected? He does not rely on government to make money, like the swamp rats.

Old 12-28-2018, 07:33 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 9 days ago)

35,634 posts, read 17,975,706 times
Quote:
What government agencies employees are for eliminating their own job.
Meet Trump.
"I was elected to return Washington DC, back to you... THE PEOPLE"

Trump has used the Democrat CR ploy, against the Democrats(Schumer). Just like he did last time with DACA a year ago.
Now, it will be Pelosi and Schumer, who will cave.

You think Trump cares if he is re-elected? He does not rely on government to make money, like the swamp rats.
Not going so well so far.

Right now, he is trying to force his will on the people, against the will of the people.

He doesn't have the backing of the people for this wall. The irony drips.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies