Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2019, 04:49 PM

62,968 posts, read 29,152,361 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritone View Post
No. I'm confused as to how you came up with that.

People come here on their own free will. No one is importing them. But they do this because they know they can find a job. If we went after employers with hefty penalties, illegals wouldn't be able to find jobs and would stop coming to the United States unlawfully. There would be no incentive for them to do that. It's really simple.

Most don't physically cross the border anyway. They fly here on tourist visas and just stay. A wall would do nothing.

Are you really this clueless? Who said that a wall would stop visa over stayers? That's a separate problem that needs to be dealt with in a different way and they aren't flying here looking for jobs either. The wall is to deter the border jumpers, duh. There are still thousands jumping our border illegally every month! Should we just ignore that problem?

Old 01-13-2019, 04:50 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,634,918 times
Quote:
Nothing about the wall makes any common sense. It's not even physically possible to build a great wall across the southern border. It would just be a massive waste of money and effort that wouldn't curb illegal immigration.

If Trump doesn't go after employers, we will never stop the flow of illegal immigrants. Immigration enforcement needs to focus their energy on going after the Americans that make illegal immigration possible. There's a whole industry that thrives off of exploiting cheap illegal immigrant labor.

They know this, but they refuse to do anything about it.
You should live in a pole barn... Then get back to me on walls making sense.

Old 01-13-2019, 04:52 PM

22,473 posts, read 12,003,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
So, nothing. SAD, but expected..
And she accused you of deflecting in the other thread---and what does she do? She deflects

Old 01-13-2019, 05:02 PM

14,888 posts, read 10,037,809 times
Quote:
We don't have to pass anything to go after employers.
Sure we do, Democrats will fight any enforcement either in the courts or in the streets.

Old 01-13-2019, 05:05 PM

4,559 posts, read 1,437,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Doll View Post
But Individual 1’s entire family is neck deep in that industry, so he doesn’t really want to do anything about it. I-1 just wants a big shiny wall with his name emblazoned.
The family is knee deep in threatening our national security so Trump wants mostly to try and wave a great big " I want to protect our borders, border security " flag to again fool Americans.

Old 01-13-2019, 05:21 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,820,712 times
Now trump wants to take his followers for fools by trying to claim he never said , "Mexico would write the US a check for the wall." I'm seeing several posters here supporting trump on this lie.

Quote:
Trump offered the same logic: "When I say Mexico is going to pay for the wall, that's what I said. Mexico is going to pay. I didn't say they're going to write me a check for $20 billion or $10 billion."
Quote:
In an April 2016 memo, Trump’s campaign outlined the steps he could take to get Mexico to pay for the wall.

"It's an easy decision for Mexico: make a one-time payment of $5-10 billion to ensure that $24 billion continues to flow into their country year after year," the memo said.
https://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/2019/jan/10/donald-trump/trump-claims-he-never-meant-mexico-would-write-check/

Wish I could sell used cars to trump followers. I would make a fortune!

Old 01-13-2019, 05:30 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,223,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
But with that big beautiful 25 billion dollar wall, it soon wouldn't have been an issue, right?

What does keeping illegals from entering have to do with dealing with illegals already here?

Old 01-13-2019, 05:34 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,820,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
What does keeping illegals from entering have to do with dealing with illegals already here?
Exactly! I was wondering the same thing.

Old 01-13-2019, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EveryLady View Post
On the other hand, I'm not sure what this means ^^^. Sure, an overriding law could be passed but that's true any day of the week - subject to Presidential veto etc. The amounts would be appropriated within now-existing legislation. It's not like some new guy on the block could simply change his mind post-election. The number now is "zero."

The difference is in the burden to bear. If the funding is staged, then Congress must take affirmative action to continue funding. If the funding is upfront, then Congress must take affirmative action to retract funding. Affirmative action is subject to filibuster and requires 60 votes. So if you have 55 votes, you cannot ensure staged funding is continued nor can you ensure pre-funded is pulled back. And even then it is subject to a veto. The default status is the current status.It is harder to change a law than to let it continue as is.

Old 01-13-2019, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
This is such utter BS! All illegal aliens should be deported as they are found according to our immigration laws. Just because one has managed to evade the law for years and haven't been caught committing a crime yet is not reason to give them a pass on our immigration laws. Nearly all of them have committed felony ID theft or tax evasion in order to work. Obama is the one who implemented the above. He also discontinued to work place raids. It's no wonder that illegal aliens aren't worried about entering our country illegally and/or being deported.

That's why Trump rejected the deal.The Grassley bill was essentially the same terms as the Common Sense bill but without the ICE restrictions and Dems rejected it unanimously. The Dems thought Trump was dumb and tried to sneak in an effective amnesty, hoping he would be blinded by the wall funding. But he (or his advisors) saw through it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies