Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2019, 08:19 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,647,085 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Are we hearing any support from Republican politicians for Trump's rants these days.

I'm always a bit surprised that they are so quiet and rarely rally behind their President.

I think that Trump is clever making this all about the Democrats -- when the reality is, the reason there was no funding for his wall in the last two years is because he didn't have the support of his own team of politicians. To me -- that's not insignificant.
You make a good point. I don’t agree with Republican domestic policies, but I know the party has sensible, competent people. I try to put myself in their shoes and wonder how I would act if Jessie Ventura was a Democratic president acting like a drunken fool but nominating judges and tax policies I like. They’re in a hard place, but at some point they were going to be held accountable for standing by and fiddling while Rome burns.

Old 01-05-2019, 08:21 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,647,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
I've said it before, and I will say it again: people really need to learn what that term means, and how it came into existence. The way it's being misused is both hysterically funny and incredibly sad.
Good point. Republican policy of coroporate rule would make us a banana republic in the purest sense of the word.

Old 01-05-2019, 08:21 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,018,755 times
The wall is not meant to cover the whole border -- so there will still be points where folks can walk across.
It has been said by Border Control Commissioners, experts, DEA experts, the drugs coming in are more likely to come from water access OR legal entry ports. Drug dealers, gun dealers, etc. don't want to risk getting caught coming across illegally -- less risk for them to try and get in legally.

And the estimate given for welfare as a result of illegal immigration has been disputed for years and years. We have no actual figure -- it is just made up to support an argument. But let's address the fact that most illegal immigrants are here in the USA because of overstaying visas. The wall doesn't address the biggest problem and probably the biggest financial burden.
So the cost benefit analysis of the wall needs to factor in residents already here and how they got here.

It's an expensive 'show' of force.
It may not address the concerns at all. Did illegal violent criminals cross at a port of entry or across the border where the wall is being proposed. until we have the firm numbers on that -- suggesting it will stop criminals is just hypothetically assuming an outcome.

Old 01-05-2019, 08:22 AM

10,659 posts, read 10,729,131 times
Booyaaaa! Let the round ups begin!

Old 01-05-2019, 08:23 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,018,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
BINGO. That's why the $1.3 Bil agreed to for border security is sufficient.

The $1.3 Bil was agreed to by the House, the Senate and Donald Trump. Then Rush Limbaugh and Coulter made a stink, Trump got scared, and he reneged on the deal. I'm sorry but Rush Limbaugh does not decide government policy in this country.

Here's why we should not build a wall: https://i.imgflip.com/23sfnh.jpg
And I think that this point is being glossed over by Trump fans.

Trump agreed to a plan and only changed his mind when Coulter, Hannity and Limbaugh had a fit.

Think about that. That would be like a Democrat President changing his mind because of Rachael Maddow, Don Lemon and Bill Maher -- is that how you want this coutnry governed?

Old 01-05-2019, 08:23 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,634,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corpgypsy View Post
Holding the American people hostage by shutting down the government for a mythical campaign slogan is amoral.
I get this gut feeling, you would not be able to survive without government. Is this the reason you seem panicked?

Marking what yours is yours and what is mine is mine, is now immoral....
yes, folks, try all the mental gymnastics you have to get there.
Not going to happen.
Pelosi's bluff is very weak.
Good thing the private sector job market is booming. There are going to be many former federal workers.

Old 01-05-2019, 08:24 AM

27,567 posts, read 28,673,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
I've said it before, and I will say it again: people really need to learn what that term means, and how it came into existence. The way it's being misused is both hysterically funny and incredibly sad.
Most Latin American countries are banana republics in some form or another.

They are filled with corruption, drug trafficking, human trafficking, massive poverty, violent crime and other social ills. They are largely dysfunctional by American standards.

Old 01-05-2019, 08:25 AM

62,959 posts, read 29,152,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
Trump is an idiot. And the people who swallow this nonsense aren't much better.

The belief that hordes of Latinos are clambering over the wall is absolute gibberish. The very large majority of illegal aliens in this country simply drive through the border or fly in, then overstay their tourist visas.

The solution is pretty damned simple: Enforce existing laws against the hiring of illegal aliens. Doesn't require a new law or even a new executive order.

Just start levying the fines. Hit employers where it hurts, and the problem goes away pretty quickly. Even offer an exception for agricultural workers. Bada bing. Next problem to be solved?

But, no, these fools think a wall is a better solution. Hey, don't worry about the Constitution. Don't worry about the stupid decision making. Don't worry about the massive confiscation of private land due to the eminent domain issues involved.

Nope. Gullible nitwits want a wall because its dumb symbolism, not its effectiveness.

Wrong! Most illegals in our country were border jumpers. We still have thousands sneaking over our border every month. Stop deflecting with the visa over stayers that's a separate problem that will have to be dealt with in a different way. The wall is for the border jumpers, duh!

Not all illegals are coming here to work. Certainly criminals, the drug runners and those from known terrorist countries aren't. We'd have to deny their kids our birthright citizenship and benefits also just removing the job incentive alone won't do it all on its own.

Fools? Is that what you are calling the Border Patrol and Homeland Security that want the good walls because they have already proven to work? I have also posted many links proving that the good walls in place already have been very effective. Those who don't want a wall on their properties can just deal with all the above on their own as they will all just funnel right through their properties. They'll be crying for a wall in no time.

Did you tell congress back in 2006 that passed the actual wall bill that it was only a symbolism? Are you not aware that both Schumer and Obama signed that bill?

And lastly, you'd rather continue paying the over $100 billion a year that illegal aliens cost us rather than the one time cost of a $25 billion wall?

Old 01-05-2019, 08:31 AM

6,737 posts, read 4,421,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by r small View Post
The best idea I've seen yet. Let the states control their own borders. States rights. How could "conservatives" (such as they are these days) object to that?

Its not always the government wants something, moves in and takes it. Its not that easy. First they condemn the property, then offer you a low price. Most of the time far below market value.
There are still something like 90 lawsuits still not settles that were started back in 2007, when the government tried to take over land in Texas. They were never settled.

" It is not an easy task, but sometimes the exercise of eminent domain can be fought. If it can be proven that the land is not being condemned for public use or for a public necessity, then the property cannot be taken under law". Will be interesting how this works out.

Old 01-05-2019, 08:33 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,544,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Sounds like a great idea.

The situation on the U.S.-Mexico border is a national emergency. Has been for a long time.
Tell me all about your border experiences.

Please...

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies