Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2019, 04:33 PM

4,477 posts, read 3,311,650 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post
Since it seems to me that Trumpers don't generally read,,,,,
That is where I stopped reading, can I suggest some reading material?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2019, 05:10 PM

1,663 posts, read 880,494 times
Quote:
Since it seems to me that Trumpers don't generally read, I'll make a point of mentioning that the article reminds us that RBG is not necessarily the liberal firebrand that many people imagine her to be.

Ruth Bader Ginsburg’s Unlikely Path to the Supreme Court
The New Yorker
By Jill Lepore

...She became known as a consensus builder who adhered closely to precedent, wrote narrowly tailored decisions, and refused to join intemperately written opinions. A 1987 study showed that she voted more often with Republican appointees than with Democratic appointees.

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2...-supreme-court

Also interesting how Bill Clinton debated for so long, considering a wide range of names, while Trump simply listened to people telling him who to nominate and then pushed it through as fast as possible.
It's odd that article doesn't mention her low opinion of the United States Constitution. At Cairo University in Egypt she said:

Quote:
I would not look to the U.S. Constitution, if I were drafting a constitution in the year 2012. I might look at the constitution of South Africa. That was a deliberate attempt to have a fundamental instrument of government that embraced basic human rights, had an independent judiciary.
Quote:
She said of the document, “It really is, I think, a great piece of work that was done. Much more recent than the U.S. Constitution — Canada has a Charter of Rights and Freedoms. It dates from 1982. You would almost certainly look at the European Convention on Human Rights. Yes, why not take advantage of what there is elsewhere in the world?”
Disgusting: Ruth Bader Ginsburg Caught AGAIN on Camera Trashing United States Constitution – 3%

None of these have anything close to our first amendment, and all have laws banning so called "hate speech." And South Africa is a shining example of what NOT to do. Another thing not mentioned is Bader-Ginsburg's support for consulting foreign law decisions when interpreting American law, a position Antonin Scalia strongly disagreed with.
https://www.nytimes.com/2005/04/02/p...reign-law.html

Old 01-21-2019, 05:19 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,423,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
I think she’s an impressive woman who filled a quota that Clinton had to have. There were a thousand men more qualified.

I get it, there should be a woman on the court but I just think men are better suited.
Ya got any basis for that thought? Do you have a list of even a hundred better qualified men? There certainly were no men or women better suited than Kavanaugh!

I guess you also believe your boss and your boss' boss also ONLY hire the #1 "best qualified" candidate for any position? It's subjective and since when does your opinion of who is best qualified mean no one else IS qualified? Have you studied the law?

Old 01-21-2019, 05:20 PM

23,608 posts, read 17,290,733 times
Quote:
Since it seems to me that Trumpers don't generally read, I'll make a point of mentioning that the article reminds us that RBG is not necessarily the liberal firebrand that many people imagine her to be.

Ruth Bader Ginsburg’s Unlikely Path to the Supreme Court
The New Yorker
By Jill Lepore

...She became known as a consensus builder who adhered closely to precedent, wrote narrowly tailored decisions, and refused to join intemperately written opinions. A 1987 study showed that she voted more often with Republican appointees than with Democratic appointees.

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2...-supreme-court

Also interesting how Bill Clinton debated for so long, considering a wide range of names, while Trump simply listened to people telling him who to nominate and then pushed it through as fast as possible.
No one tells trump what to do.

You are confusing him with Obama and his handler Valerie Jarrett.

Old 01-21-2019, 05:22 PM

34,263 posts, read 18,641,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Ya got any basis for that thought? Do you have a list of even a hundred better qualified men? There certainly were no men or women better suited than Kavanaugh!
Kavanaugh is a very well respected jurist. Even the Democrats admit that. What about his judicial experience is lacking?

Old 01-21-2019, 05:38 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,154,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkeydance View Post
"Since it seems to me that Trumpers don't generally read...'
well, read your post, anyway.
Sure - but did you read the article? My impression is that they don't click through the links to read lengthy articles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
If you expect to be taken seriously, it would behoove you to dispense with the name calling and insults.
Are you serious? Name-calling? Do you say that to the posters who continue to speak of Hillary in such vicious terms? All I said here is that Trump listens to what people tell him to do in terms of nominations - and that is a basic truth, since we already know that Trump has no broad knowledge, nor does he read.

As a matter of fact, I'll bet that if you cornered Trump right now, he couldn't name all the SCOTUS justices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dozerbear View Post
It's odd that article doesn't mention her low opinion of the United States Constitution.
It makes me sad when people lyingly employ false hyperbole. She didn't "trash" the Constitution. She simply said that, as others have started with ours as a model, some countries have incorporated improvements. It's an excellent idea to benefit from good ideas wherever they may be - including international law.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies