Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you support California's sanctuary state policy?
Nope, it's nuts. 105 86.07%
Yes. Please explain. 17 13.93%
Voters: 122. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2019, 09:15 AM

21,771 posts, read 16,425,889 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
My in-laws were legal immigrants (from Brazil), and you never heard anyone rail harder on illegal immigration than they did. It IS unfair and wrong in so many ways.

They also came speaking no English and had to pick up the language on their own (no time or money for special classes), but they managed. They had choice words to say about immigrants who have been here for years and expect to be catered to in their native languages.
Well goodness! If your in-laws have choice words that wraps it up then!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2019, 09:21 AM

8,364 posts, read 6,463,705 times
Sanctuary policies protect criminals.

Old 01-03-2019, 09:43 AM

3,107 posts, read 1,764,427 times
Where are the explanations from the people that voted yes? All I see is the no side. I'd LOVE to try to understand why someone would think the policy is a great idea, and/or why allowing some people to jump the line is fair to those that worked so hard to go through the process legally.

Old 01-03-2019, 09:49 AM

19,239 posts, read 16,757,196 times
Quote:
My in-laws were legal immigrants (from Brazil), and you never heard anyone rail harder on illegal immigration than they did. It IS unfair and wrong in so many ways.

They also came speaking no English and had to pick up the language on their own (no time or money for special classes), but they managed. They had choice words to say about immigrants who have been here for years and expect to be catered to in their native languages.
I can certainly understand the way your in-laws felt (or feel). When someone does everything the "right" way and then has to watch others who don't get away with things they shouldn't, it makes sense they'd be upset about it. Actually, those who have immigrated to this country and did it the right way may be more resentful than those of us who were born here. And rightfully so.

Old 01-03-2019, 09:54 AM

14,374 posts, read 11,774,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Well goodness! If your in-laws have choice words that wraps it up then!
The OP asked for people's opinions. Why do you feel the need to respond snarkily to individual posters? Just offer your own opinion about the question, which I notice you have not done.

Old 01-03-2019, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stablegenius View Post
Where are the explanations from the people that voted yes? All I see is the no side. I'd LOVE to try to understand why someone would think the policy is a great idea, and/or why allowing some people to jump the line is fair to those that worked so hard to go through the process legally.
You are conflating two separate issues. Sanctuary policies are local law enforcement preferences to encourage good interaction between police and immigrants, both legal and illegals. The arguments in favor of sanctuary are readily available on the internet ... as are the arguments against. So don’t know why you can’t find them.

As for “jumping the line”: pretty much no one thinks that is a good thing or fair. But lots of people like to rant about it as if otherwise.

In any case, the issues of why and how so many illegals have come as they have are myriad and complex. And so are appropriate solutions. Narrow, intellectually incurious minds love to pretend it’s black and white simple ... when it isn’t. And no, this doesn’t mean I think illegal immigration is fine. It means just what I said: it’s complicated. And the benefits and liabilities require a lot more thoughtful sorting out than a bunch of anonymous internet knuckleheads are going to contribute toward a quality solution for the country.

Old 01-03-2019, 10:01 AM

Quote:
The OP asked for people's opinions. Why do you feel the need to respond snarkily to individual posters? Just offer your own opinion about the question, which I notice you have not done.
I’ve contributed thousands of opinions on these topics with analytical links and data. And these comments I just responded to are not contributing one slight bit of actual analysis of the issues ... just knee-jerk anecdotal screed.

Old 01-03-2019, 10:02 AM

14,374 posts, read 11,774,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
You are conflating two separate issues. Sanctuary policies are local law enforcement preferences to encourage good interaction between police and immigrants, both legal and illegals. The arguments in favor of sanctuary are readily available on the internet ... as are the arguments against. So don’t know why you can’t find them.

As for “jumping the line”: pretty much no one thinks that is a good thing or fair. But lots of people like to rant about it as if otherwise.

In any case, the issues of why and how so many illegals have come as they have are myriad and complex. And so are appropriate solutions. Narrow, intellectually incurious minds love to pretend it’s black and white simple ... when it isn’t. And no, this doesn’t mean I think illegal immigration is fine. It means just what I said: it’s complicated. And the benefits and liabilities require a lot more thoughtful sorting out than a bunch of anonymous internet knuckleheads are going to contribute toward a quality solution for the country.
Distilled to its essence, this means you don't have any idea what, if anything, should be done about illegal immigration despite your broad, intellectually curious mind.

Old 01-03-2019, 10:13 AM

673 posts, read 467,485 times
The nut case Jerry Brown and his girlfriend Loathsom Newsom............are traitors to America. The Federal Government should cut off all funding to California.

And no one brings up the fact that the TB rates have gone thru the ceiling?.........geee, I wonder why those rates are so high?

Old 01-03-2019, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Distilled to its essence, this means you don't have any idea what, if anything, should be done about illegal immigration despite your broad, intellectually curious mind.
Oh? How about you explain how you know I have no ideas re: immigration policies? Lol.

I enjoy this, so hope you continue. I’ll even provide you a little lead in:

I support an immigration standard that is very tight doored, similar to nations like Australia, New Zealand, and Canada, for 3 examples. “Needs based” - where our nation’s needs come first.

I also am a zealot about earning citizenship through national service ... including persons born here and to American parents. No one gets to be a citizen until after age 18 and a public / national service commitment fulfilled.

That said above, there are millions of productive residents here illegally who outwork and out contribute millions of born citizens who are nothing more than a disgrace and drain to their nation.

Go for it. Your turn!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies