Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2019, 08:46 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,602,543 times
Who has the better hand here?
Trump or Congress?

Does Pelosi hold 4 Aces or a pair of 2's?
Who has the royal Flush?
Do Pelosi & Schumer think Trump is bluffing? You think they know Trump has a better hand than they?

A barrier that establishes what is mine and what is yours, is now "immoral". Seriously, that is their angle?
Too easy... Who is bluffing?

Old 01-04-2019, 08:53 AM

24,468 posts, read 17,207,356 times
It is easy. Trump is right and they know it but they are playing politics while trying to make him look like a buffoon to undermine him as we inch closer to 2020.

All the Dems are showing is that they care more about illegal aliens than they do citizens and LEGAL immigrants.

It is going to get scary if the Dems should win in 2020 unless they change back to the stance they had in 2014 that border security was important.

Old 01-04-2019, 09:08 AM

17,441 posts, read 9,262,756 times
Does everyone understand that what Nancy/Chuck are determined to do here is force a Continuing Resolution that expires on February 7, 2019.

30 days is not a solution- it’s a game.

The Senate will not fold on this for that main reason- no solution, just a 30 day pause.

Federal employees can count on this going into February IF Nancy holds tp her $54 BILLION for Foreign Aid (including $$$ For Abortion) and “Not even 1 Dollar for Homeland Security & Border Security. “It’s Imoral!”.

Looking down the road another 30 days ..... The Debt Ceiling is currently Suspended, that Suspension ENDS on March 1, 2019.

How many paychecks can the Federal Workers (overwhelmingly Democrat) will Pelosi insist they miss? Open Borders and Illegal Border Jumpers are more important to Nancy than paychecks.

Old 01-04-2019, 09:50 AM

On the bright side. There are plenty of jobs in the private sector right now, while you beg the state for unemployment benefits.

Old 01-04-2019, 10:21 AM

18,757 posts, read 11,789,085 times
LOL I love the title of your thread. Very creative. Who has the better hand? HMM. The Democrats played Trump like a fiddle and got him to admit on camera that he's proud to own the shutdown. There was a bipartisan bill that gave Trump 25 billion for border security with a compromise for a pathway to citizenship for DACA recipients. It was a popular bill for the vast majority of the people but Trump rejected it because of the hateful base, and we all know that that is all he has. No new supporters, and quite a few defectors from the independents, and Republican's as well.

So here's the quagmire. Trump resists a compromise to preserve a minority shrinking base. The Republican's have many vulnerable seats in 2020, and they saw what happened to Congress in 2018. Governing is about compromise. The Democrats came up with a bipartisan bill supported by both sides that Trump rejected. McConnell won't bring another vote to the floor unless Trump will support it. That's not how our system is supposed to work. Let the vote come forward. It silences the vote of we the people. We are not a dictatorship and Trump is not a king.

Our country is being held hostage by Trump. Presidents compromise, dictators insist on their way.
I think the Democrats are playing Trump like a fiddle again. Those that see facts vs emotional rhetoric understand that Trump is the one that owns the shutdown, the dysfunction, the chaos, the stock market tanking because of the tariffs, the soybean farmers losing money because China is not buying.

Who has the upper hand? I say the Democrats. They did a heck of a job taking the house and are already plotting for those vulnerable senate seats in 2020. Using the wall is just another tool in the tool box. Build that wall is just rube rhetoric used to garner votes, most of us understand that.

Old 01-04-2019, 12:16 PM

17,441 posts, read 9,262,756 times
Is it really worth it for Democrats and Federal Employees to give an additional $12 Billion to Foreign Countries (Total =$54 Billion), and to give ZERO for Homeland Security & Border Security in the SAME Bill?

That appears silly and worthless to me. I’m curious about what the Furloughed (voluntary & involuntary) think about that. The House Dems hung Christmas Ornaments on the Budget Bills for their pet projects ..... at the expense of the Furloughed Federal Employees.
Does that work for you?

Despite not meeting the minimum requirements identified by those who are directly responsible for the Nation’s border security, this package funds a number of unnecessary programs at excessive levels well beyond what was put forward in the FY 2019 Budget. The six bills provided for under H.R. 21 provide funding at levels nearly 20 percent higher than the President’s FY 2019 Budget.

https://www.whitehouse.gov/wp-conten...1_HJRes1-1.pdf

Old 01-04-2019, 12:27 PM

8,548 posts, read 10,967,143 times
I'll tell you what I think is going to happen, and it may be soon.
The shutdown will end because Trump will decide to use his own wealth to fund the wall construction.
In essence, he will be loaning the federal government the money for the wall, and in return, he will get one billion a year , plus interest , until the loan is paid off.

This way, the government does not have to come up with all the 5 billion at once, and the government shutdown will be over.
Both sides , by Trump's action, will save face, and the blame game will be over.
The wall will be built, and the dems won't be shelling out a whole lot of money at once.
In spite of what he campaigned on, I never believed, nor did Trump, that Mexico would pay for the wall.

Being the business tycoon he is, I think he decided early on that the funds would have to come from the tax payers, and perhaps he also knew this was going to be a battle where he was the one holding the cards.
I think he was aware, and planned for the time,when he would offer to fund the wall himself, and let the government pay him back with interest.

In spite of what many(all democrats) think, this man is extremely smart, and however he did it, he managed to accumulate billions in wealth.
I really don't think I am wrong on this one.
I will go further out on a limb and say, he will re-open the government within the next two weeks, and offer Congress his proposal to fund the wall personally.

Bob.

Last edited by CALGUY; 01-04-2019 at 12:37 PM..

Old 01-04-2019, 12:29 PM

12,566 posts, read 10,612,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
I'll tell you what I think is going to happen, and it may be soon.
The shutdown will end because Trump will decide to use his own wealth to fund the wall construction.
In essence, he will be loaning the federal government the money for the wall, and in return, he will get one billion a year , plus interest , until the loan is paid off.

This way, the government does not have to come up with all the 5 billion at once, and the government shutdown will be over.
Both sides , by Trump's action, will save face, and the blame game will be over.
The wall will be built, and the dems won't be shelling out a whole lot of money at once.

Bob.
If he does that he will have to first ask the Russians for his allowance.

Old 01-04-2019, 12:30 PM

52,433 posts, read 26,608,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Who has the better hand here?
Trump or Congress?

Does Pelosi hold 4 Aces or a pair of 2's?
Who has the royal Flush?
Do Pelosi & Schumer think Trump is bluffing? You think they know Trump has a better hand than they?

A barrier that establishes what is mine and what is yours, is now "immoral". Seriously, that is their angle?
Too easy... Who is bluffing?

Nancy Pelosi can't even get any legislation to the President, so it's a moot point. Until she can come up with a bill that McConnell will allow, she's got no game.

Schumer? He's not even at the table. Absolutely 0 power to accomplish anything in this standoff.

Old 01-04-2019, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Nancy Pelosi can't even get any legislation to the President, so it's a moot point. Until she can come up with a bill that McConnell will allow, she's got no game.

Schumer? He's not even at the table. Absolutely 0 power to accomplish anything in this standoff.
Who is bluffing.
Who has the stronger hand?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies