Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2019, 10:56 AM

68,349 posts, read 54,490,349 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATX Wahine View Post
A Christian cannot explain the heart and mind of another Christian any more than a Muslim can explain the heart and mind of another Muslim. Would you hold a Muslim accountable for the behavior of another Muslim? That’s what you are doing right here with your post to this self-professed Christian.

Why do people think that religious people all walk, talk, and think the same? Come on, man.

Why shouldn't those who believe in and actually live by the teachings of Christ stand-up to the pretenders who only claim they do?

Old 01-10-2019, 10:59 AM

20,460 posts, read 26,362,560 times
Quote:
You just demanded an explanation for this evangelical group’s stance from a single self-professed Christian. Why are you attacking a single person for the values of a private organization? Do you not see the flaw in your approach here? Need I spell it out once again?
So to ASK for an explanation is now a DEMAND?
I got news for ya', I'm just a poster on a board, I can't DEMAND anything.
Do you not see the flaw in your approach here? Need I spell it out once again?

So why don't YOU offer that explanation. This IS a conversational board after all, that's what we DO here.

Ken

Old 01-10-2019, 11:01 AM

11,027 posts, read 6,520,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
OK. Do you support the Liberty Council's move? If you don't support it, have you let them know? You haven't said.
I absolutely do not support this group. Not now, not when they defended Kim Davis, not ever.

Why must I declare this for you? I’m not even a Christian. I’m simply pointing out the idiocy in demanding an explanation for a private group’s stance from an individual just because they belong to the same religion. I offered a very plausible scenario in which I asked if one would demand from an individual Muslim a reason why some within their religion kill women and gays.

It’s very simplistic and dare I say the sign of ignorance to assume that all people belonging to any particular religion think the same way about everything. Some people in this thread are really displaying that ignorance.

Old 01-10-2019, 11:02 AM

8,505 posts, read 4,581,001 times
Many of these Evangelicals are just horrible people promoting hate in the name of "their" God.

Anyone catch the news this week about the Texas preacher Donnie Romero? He had called the Orlando Pulse shooting victims “perverts and pedophiles” back in 2016. It seems he was recently ousted from his position at the Stedfast Baptist Church in Fort Worth amid allegations of prostitution, gambling and marijuana use.

Romero’s comments shortly after the June 12, 2016, shooting at the Orlando gay club were widely condemned. The attack left 49 people dead and dozens more wounded. These were some of his comments at that time:

“They’re the scum of the earth, and the earth is a better place now, and I’ll take it a step further,” Romero said at the time. “I’ll pray to God like I did this morning, and I will again tonight, that God will finish the job that that man started.”

Texas pastor who praised Pulse massacre ousted amid prostitution allegations
https://www.orlandosentinel.com/news...108-story.html

Old 01-10-2019, 11:04 AM

20,460 posts, read 26,362,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMS02760 View Post
Many of these Evangelicals are just horrible people promoting hate in the name of "their" God.

Anyone catch the news this week about the Texas preacher Donnie Romero? He had called the Orlando Pulse shooting victims “perverts and pedophiles” back in 2016. It seems he was recently ousted from his position at the Stedfast Baptist Church in Fort Worth amid allegations of prostitution, gambling and marijuana use.

Romero’s comments shortly after the June 12, 2016, shooting at the Orlando gay club were widely condemned. The attack left 49 people dead and dozens more wounded. These were some of his comments at that time:

“They’re the scum of the earth, and the earth is a better place now, and I’ll take it a step further,” Romero said at the time. “I’ll pray to God like I did this morning, and I will again tonight, that God will finish the job that that man started.”

Texas pastor who praised Pulse massacre ousted amid prostitution allegations

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/news...108-story.html
Yup. That's the WHOLE point the OP was making. Sooooooo many times these so-called "Christian" leaders are the WORST examples of human nature. Don't get me wrong, Christians are no worse than anyone else - they are just no BETTER.

Ken

Old 01-10-2019, 11:05 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,787,319 times
Quote:
I absolutely do not support this group. Not now, not when they defended Kim Davis, not ever.

Why must I declare this for you? I’m not even a Christian. I’m simply pointing out the idiocy in demanding an explanation for a private group’s stance from an individual just because they belong to the same religion. I offered a very plausible scenario in which I asked if one would demand from an individual Muslim a reason why some within their religion kill women and gays.

It’s very simplistic and dare I say the sign of ignorance to assume that all people belonging to any particular religion think the same way about everything. Some people in this thread are really displaying that ignorance.
Glad to hear it.

Old 01-10-2019, 11:12 AM

8,505 posts, read 4,581,001 times
Quote:
In two pages, every person who has responded to me has ignored the question I presented:

Do you hold individual Muslims responsible for the actions of more fundamental Muslims? Do they need to explain to you why some within their religion kill?

It was ignored because let’s face it, this is just a Christianity-bashing thread. Even us heathen non-religious folks can see that clear as day.

Bigotry and hatred in the name of God that is promoted by any religion members is reprehensible, be it Christian, Muslim, Judaism, Hinduism, etc.....

Old 01-10-2019, 11:15 AM

12,716 posts, read 7,832,330 times
Quote:
In two pages, every person who has responded to me has ignored the question I presented:

Do you hold individual Muslims responsible for the actions of more fundamental Muslims? Do they need to explain to you why some within their religion kill?

It was ignored because let’s face it, this is just a Christianity-bashing thread. Even us heathen non-religious folks can see that clear as day.
Well among Trump's base there is little tolerance for even moderate Muslims. It's automatically assumed that all Muslims are radicalized and are ready to commit an act of terror.

I think a lot of good would be accomplished in this society if religious moderates (of all faiths) would be more vocal against the extremists rather than coddling them for political reasons.

Old 01-10-2019, 11:27 AM

52,430 posts, read 26,698,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
https://www.pinknews.co.uk/2019/01/0...-lgbt-exclude/

Remember this any time anybody tries to say Trump and his supporters don’t pose an existential threat to the LGBT community or that they are just misunderstood and stereotyped as homophobes. They are literally upset that a bill that makes lynching of minorities a hate crime includes sexual orientation and gender identity. Truly deplorable. What are your thoughts? Should LGBT protections be removed from this bill?
That article does not mention Trump.

Don't label 63,000,000 people and the President of the USA with the nonsense of a very small radical group. If you have a real point to make, you immediately discredit yourself with partisan nonsense.

But there is a point to be made by that article. Neither party has done anything for LBGT rights. All the gains have come from the court.

Old 01-10-2019, 11:36 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,735,521 times
Quote:

Personally, no, I don't.

But many do.
Otherwise, why would so many believe that a Muslim ban is necessary to the well-being of this country?
It's because far too many cannot separate radical Islam from that practiced by these young people:

"That's where the Ahmadiyya Muslim Youth Association comes in. The group has dispatched dozens of its members, all Muslim males age 7 to 40, to clean up parks around the country, CNN says."

https://theweek.com/speedreads/81620...nment-shutdown

But like you, I digress.

It is not a "Christianity-bashing thread."

It is a thread that is pointing out that a particular group of Christians has an issue with an anti-lynching bill.

I am a practicing Christian.
I felt no animosity from the OP towards any group of Christians other than those detailed in the article.

And that animosity is richly deserved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies