Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2019, 07:19 AM

30,065 posts, read 18,670,668 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by armourereric View Post
Forbes reported that Pelosi and Cuomo have met about eliminating her district for 2022.

Bummer- I, for one, will contribute to her campaign, as I am sure many republicans will do the same.

AOC is one of the best things to happen to conservatives in a long time. Even if her district is changed, she can run and win in an adjacent district, as there is no shortage of idiots in NYC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2019, 07:21 AM

21,479 posts, read 10,579,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armourereric View Post
Forbes reported that Pelosi and Cuomo have met about eliminating her district for 2022.
Really? Interesting.

Old 02-27-2019, 07:25 AM

21,479 posts, read 10,579,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Bummer- I, for one, will contribute to her campaign, as I am sure many republicans will do the same.

AOC is one of the best things to happen to conservatives in a long time. Even if her district is changed, she can run and win in an adjacent district, as there is no shortage of idiots in NYC.
See, you seem to think most people see her for the idiot she is, but the problem is that voters are idiots too. I don’t have a lot of confidence that people will vote her out of office. She could end up pushing a lot more people to the left. Look at the Sanders effect on the Democratic Party. In two years they have moved so far to the left it’s scary. Trump isn’t that popular, so someone like Bernie could actually win and that scares me with the rest of the Democrats moving left.

Old 02-27-2019, 07:55 AM

714 posts, read 356,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
As far as I can tell, she’s made some powerful enemies - Andrew Cuomo, Bill De Blasio, Chuck Schumer and Nancy Pelosi. And she cost the State of New York 25,000 - 40,000 jobs and billions of much needed dollars in tax revenue. I’m not sure she’ll even win her next election.
Here in New York there are Dems who are hoppin mad at this girl. She was a cheerleader leading up to the Amazon disaster.
And then after Amazon pulled out she said something to the effect "great! Now the $3 billion can be spent on teachers, subways....". That revealed that she HAD NO UNDERSTAND OF THE BASICS OF THE DEAL. There is no $3 billion! Amazon was to be given future tax credis which were strictly benchmarked to its creation of jobs.
Her crazy ideology cost New York $27 billion in tax revenue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RageX View Post
Have you been to the district she represents? I have. Trust me, she will (unfortunately) win. She is a reasonably pretty latina. The people there think she is "mi gente", which could ill be further from the truth. Furthermore, those neighborhoods are full of people that are always gonna vote democrat (well the 4% tgat vote anyway). That district isn't upset about losing Amazon either. They don't want work of any kind, they just want their Section 8 and SSI money.

I been livin in NYC since 1986. She will be a lifer, and likely a shoo-in for President in 2028, seeing as the media machine gives her coverage that the Kardashians and Superbowl combined could only dream of.

...and it sickens me...

The only way it seems to unseat AOC would be to plant incriminating evidence of Hillary on AOC's person...
Totally right about the people in her district. 89% of them did not vote in the primary, so the little girl actually won with
just 8% of the registered Dems vote

To understand Octasio-Cortez, as you said, you have to understand the kind of people who make up her district. I live only about 20 miles east of that district. The people are largely Hispanic, low education, and low income.

The Hispanic angle alone would have gotten her elected. She ran against a white man who was first elected 20 years ago. The ethnicity of the district changed a lot and its not surprising that they voted for one of their own.

No doubt that low education and low income added to her tally. They're even dumber than she is. She could come out with a million gaffes and they wouldn't know the difference. She knocked on doors and passed out fliers promising FREE everything. Why wouldn't such people believe her?

Being the candidate with the "D" after her name will get her automatically re-elected into her old age over there. Doesn't matter that she's a dingbat and has an extreme ideology (even if she herself doesn't understand that ideology).

Look, if the chairman of the Democratic National Committee believes that this idiot is "the future face of the Democratic party", then how can you fault a bunch of poorly educated know-nothings?

The only positive I can say about her is that she is not evil, just ignorant and stupid. There are two other new and radical Dem congresswomen, Omar and Tlaib, who ARE evil. They are much more dangerous than this silly little girl. In fact, I think this girl will be good for Republicans in that she is pulling the party to the radical left. The leading Dem presidential candidates have endorsed her Green New Mess. Radical leftism (or rightism) will not win a presidential election.

Old 02-27-2019, 09:26 AM

59,088 posts, read 27,318,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Originalist View Post
The effort is part carrot, part stick. But it's far from clear the anti-establishment political novice can be made to play ball.

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/...isment-1093728

See carrot? Pull cart!

Back when the dems controlled the house for 40 STRAIGHT YEARS, freshman were NOT even ALLOWED to introduce a bill, much less get one passed.

If she doesn't start "towing the line", she will be ostracized by the dem leaders and made "insignificant".

Old 02-27-2019, 09:30 AM

59,088 posts, read 27,318,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
LAWL.

She's been put up there with Mad Maxine Waters over the US Banking and Finance industry.

" over the US Banking and Finance industry."

I guess the dem leadership thinks her counting tips giver her the "expertise" for that committee!

Old 02-27-2019, 10:39 AM

46,963 posts, read 25,998,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Originalist View Post
The effort is part carrot, part stick. But it's far from clear the anti-establishment political novice can be made to play ball.
Good. The established Dems need a thorn in their side. They've been coasting on their "not-quite-as-corrupt-and-crazy-as-the GOP" sales angle, I'm quite happy to see someone making them squirm.

Old 02-27-2019, 10:52 AM

24,417 posts, read 23,070,474 times
Maybe they could try a big butterfly net to catch her?

Old 02-27-2019, 11:06 AM

7,520 posts, read 2,810,168 times
The media, to their own chagrin, unwittingly helped DT in 2015/2016 and they are "helping" AOC, much to the chagrin of her fellow democrats in Congress.

Old 02-27-2019, 03:01 PM

3,617 posts, read 1,822,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
Every time you guys talk about something you dislike about her, her ratings go even higher. I wouldn't be surprised to see this lady become a driving force in politics, or even go as high as running for President. She has guts, is articulate and smart, and takes no **** from anyone.

No other incoming Congress person has garnered the attention she has so far.

Smart? She's smart?! Smart is NOT the word I would use to describe the Green New Deal nightmare she proposed. Smart is NOT the way I would describe how I read it when she wrote it up BEFORE Democrats cleaned it up, making it all nice and shiny, just before they collectively threw that garbage in the trash, where it belongs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies