Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2019, 06:39 AM

35,091 posts, read 17,051,842 times

Advertisements

A New York Times "breaking news" story on January 10, 2019:

Scientists say the world’s oceans are heating up faster than previously thought, a finding with dire implications for climate change.

From the December 18, 2018 New York Times:
As Seas Warm, Galápagos Islands Face a Giant Evolutionary Test

Climate change is ravaging the natural laboratory that inspired Darwin. The creatures here are on the brink of crisis.

Scary world out there.

But been there, done that, as discussed in the August 30, 1973 issue of the New York Times (link, excerpts below) before "climate change" became a pet cause:
Quote:
Originally Posted by William Safire, August 30, 1973 NY Times
There is a warm and unwelcome current of water that flows down from the Equator past the coast of Peru every year around Christmastime that the fishermen call "El Nifto De Navidad" -the Christmas Child. The warm current is unwelcome because it' is bad f ot the fish. ....But on the seventh year, El Nino cannot be denied; for as long as any of the old fishermen can remember, on the seventh year El Nino defeats the Humboldt current, making the waters warm and the fish sluggish. The anchovies huddle together, do not breed well, and the fishing is bad. Last year was one of those seventh years.
There's always some pet cause or panic to alarm us, to make people where a puss on their face.

There's also very little evidence to support the latest alarums. We're being told,as stated in the January 10, 2019 article "(a)bsent global action to reduce carbon emissions, the authors said, the warming alone would cause sea levels to rise by about a foot by 2100, and the ice caps would contribute more. That could exacerbate damages from severe coastal flooding and storm surge." I suspect actual people have more pressing worries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2019, 07:03 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,857,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post

Scientists say the world’s oceans are heating up faster than previously thought, a finding with dire implications for climate change.

Climate change is ravaging the natural laboratory that inspired Darwin. The creatures here are on the brink of crisis.

Scary world out there.

But been there, done that, as discussed in the August 30, 1973 issue of the New York Times (link, excerpts below) before "climate change" became a pet cause: There's always some pet cause or panic to alarm us, to make people where a puss on their face.

There's also very little evidence to support the latest alarums. We're being told,as stated in the January 10, 2019 article "(a)bsent global action to reduce carbon emissions, the authors said, the warming alone would cause sea levels to rise by about a foot by 2100, and the ice caps would contribute more. That could exacerbate damages from severe coastal flooding and storm surge." I suspect actual people have more pressing worries.

I know some of you climate change deniers think all of this is akin to black magic and voodoo, but the reality is, we humans are killing this little planet we live on, and it is suffering and fighting back at an alarming rate.

If you do not see the consequences of putting our heads in the sand, then you have ignored all of the disasters going on around the country more and more every year. I live in Florida, and we used to chuckle when a hurricane was coming because they never hit us. Now, we do pay attention because we have seen a dramatic change in those things happening on a regular basis.

But anything I, or anyone else, types here is never going to convince you, at least not until the water is lapping at your heels and you wonder why. Knowing some of you, even that will not change your minds.

Old 01-12-2019, 07:09 AM

6,933 posts, read 2,393,829 times
There used to be a saying that goes, "If they find a way to tax the air, they will."

Well, here we are.

Old 01-12-2019, 07:10 AM

18,472 posts, read 8,298,361 times
A Harvard study has found that parts of the deep Pacific may be getting cooler as the result of a climate phenomenon that occurred hundreds of years ago.

In the deep Pacific Ocean, however, temperatures are dropping. This effect could be seen at a depth of around 2 kilometers (1.2 miles).

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencet...hers-find.html

...guess the heat wasn't hiding in the deep ocean after all

Old 01-12-2019, 07:14 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,285,966 times
"Grabs bag of popcorn....ready to enjoy the show"

Old 01-12-2019, 07:14 AM

18,741 posts, read 7,623,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
I know some of you climate change deniers think all of this is akin to black magic and voodoo, but the reality is, we humans are killing this little planet we live on, and it is suffering and fighting back at an alarming rate.
TRANSLATION: Since nobody has ever come up with any proof that humans' activities have any effect on climate, I'm not going to try to cite any. But since that defeats my agenda, I'll simply announce it as "reality" anyway, pretend those who disagree are somehow motivated by ignorance, and call them names.

Fibs and pretensions like mine are often used in primitive incantations by aboriginal tribes who have no idea of the truth, but I'll forestall anyone from pointing that out, by accusing my opponents of "magic and voodoo" instead of myself, first. Again, with no evidence or proof.

Old 01-12-2019, 07:19 AM

24,502 posts, read 17,255,259 times
I am more concerned about all the garbage and plastic that the world throws into the ocean and how that is affecting life.

There are just too many people on the planet and maybe it is time that mother nature does something about it?

Old 01-12-2019, 07:22 AM

68,330 posts, read 54,428,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by William Safire, August 30, 1973 NY Times
There is a warm and unwelcome current of water that flows down from the Equator past the coast of Peru every year around Christmastime that the fishermen call "El Nifto De Navidad" -the Christmas Child. The warm current is unwelcome because it' is bad f ot the fish. ....But on the seventh year, El Nino cannot be denied; for as long as any of the old fishermen can remember, on the seventh year El Nino defeats the Humboldt current, making the waters warm and the fish sluggish. The anchovies huddle together, do not breed well, and the fishing is bad. Last year was one of those seventh years.

What science(s) was journalist/speechwriter Safire proficient in and when was it decided a localized current off the South American coast was representative of global conditions?

Old 01-12-2019, 07:22 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,857,927 times
Yeah, the thousands of impartial scientists, who study these things, saying that climate change is real and a problem are all paid to scare the bejesus out of people, for some unknown reasons. I realize education is a scary subject to many Trumpees, but believe it or not, there ARE people out there who know what they are talking about and who are simply telling us what they see.

But all of that will fall on deaf ears, won't it ?

Old 01-12-2019, 07:26 AM

7,103 posts, read 5,990,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post

Scary world out there.

But been there, done that, as discussed in the August 30, 1973 issue of the New York Times (link, excerpts below) before "climate change" became a pet cause: There's always some pet cause or panic to alarm us, to make people where a puss on their face.

Living on the Atlantic Ocean my entire life, in my 47 years on this planet I have noticed that there is much less coastline than there was 40 years ago. Of course, this has nothing to do with sea levels rising and much more to do with ocean currents and erosion. Edisto Beach is down current from us and surprisingly they have been gaining land mass.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies