Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2019, 08:23 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,533,837 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
I went to see the movie "Vice" (very interesting, by the way), but was left with two factual questions. These points were unfamiliar to me, but went by so quickly that I wasn't sure I heard them correctly.

First, that there were over 20,000 missing emails from the Bush administration. Not sure whether that was Bush, Cheney, or the W.H. as a whole. But it would be odd, considering the fuss that was made over Hillary's email.

Second, it sounded as if on 9/11, Cheney gave a directive not to safely evacuate Congress. If true, that's incredibly shocking - as if he would be trying to jeopardize everyone's lives.

Anyone know whether I heard these correctly and if they're true?
George W. Bush White House ‘Lost’ 22 Million E-mails?
What's True
Roughly 22 million White House e-mails exchanged via private servers during the G.W. Bush administration were deleted instead of being archived in accordance with the Presidential Records Act.

What's False
As opposed to being permanently "lost," an undetermined number of the e-mails were subsequently recovered (though they have not yet been released to the public).
https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/g-...llion-e-mails/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2019, 04:35 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,672,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Quite the opposite.... Twisted and unbelievable.
I heard the movie was not worth seeing.
It's definitely worth seeing - but best seen by people who already have some basic information.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cchampagne232000 View Post
Wait, "private servers"? You mean they were doing exactly what they damned Hillary for doing?

Old 01-13-2019, 04:43 PM

6,061 posts, read 2,010,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
So who won? Who was manipulated?

"President Bush commuted Libby's sentence of 30 months in federal prison"
"President Donald Trump fully pardoned Libby on April 13, 2018."

Nothing much seems to change over the years. It's not whether you are criminal or treasonous. It's not even whether you get caught. It's whether you get pardoned.
The argument was over pardon, not commutation. Cheney wanted desperately to get a pardon for Libby; Bush said no. Bush won, and there was no manipulation. BTW, Trump actually did pardon Libby.

Old 01-13-2019, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna-501 View Post
George W. Bush White House ‘Lost’ 22 Million E-mails?
What's True
Roughly 22 million White House e-mails exchanged via private servers during the G.W. Bush administration were deleted instead of being archived in accordance with the Presidential Records Act.

What's False
As opposed to being permanently "lost," an undetermined number of the e-mails were subsequently recovered (though they have not yet been released to the public).
https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/g-...llion-e-mails/
Interesting to note that Justice Kavanaugh, IIRC, was W. Bush's staff secretary (responsible for organizing paper work). So if this is the case, I wonder if all of this was his fault.

Old 01-13-2019, 04:46 PM

3,877 posts, read 3,896,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
It's definitely worth seeing - but best seen by people who already have some basic information.

Wait, "private servers"? You mean they were doing exactly what they damned Hillary for doing?
Of course you know how they are, it only matters when someone who doesn't have a R next to their name does it. I have to admit they are pretty effective at it for some reason, if Dems didn't have majority of the country or the media. We'd be non existent

Old 01-13-2019, 04:51 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,674,856 times
Even Nixon was pardoned. Ollie North is now a hero.

At some point we have to sit back and wonder about responsibility.

Old 01-13-2019, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Even Nixon was pardoned. Ollie North is now a hero.

At some point we have to sit back and wonder about responsibility.
Since we have evolved into 'investigation nation,' I think the pardon power is more needed than ever.

Libby was convicted of the bogus 'lying to investigators' because prosecutor Patrick Fitzgerald could not get him on any actual crime. The case was about the outing of CIA agent Valerie Plame, and it turned out that the applicable law did not apply to her. She had already been outed by Russian mole Aldrich Ames, and thus could no longer do covert work. And it wasn't even Libby who outed her--it was Colin Powell's buddy Richard Armitage at the state department.

North was not pardoned--he was not convicted.

Old 01-13-2019, 06:20 PM

38,642 posts, read 26,378,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Indeed - they were both deleted and missing - until they were subsequently located. Many were sent via use of a private server (just like Clinton).

They were found - but it wasn't for lack of trying to keep them hidden.

Source?

Old 01-13-2019, 07:44 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
Its Hollywood. Not a historically factual account.
Oh, I beg to differ. Vice was so accurate that it hurt (Republicans).

Old 01-13-2019, 08:15 PM

34,231 posts, read 18,579,444 times
Just another Hollywood hit piece about Republicans. I wonder when the Obama, Hillary, Benghazi movie will come out? Will Susan Rice get a cameo?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies