Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2019, 02:58 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,736,880 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoGuy View Post
Why is Hollywood obsessed with portraying women as being able to easily kick the arse of every guy they meet. It is ridiculous. Simply ridiculous. It was interesting the first time or two that I seen it. Now it is the rule.

I was a second tier athlete in high school. Yet when I played basketball or tennis against our best female athletes, the domination was absolute.

This is usually closer to what to expect if a guy fights back: https://i.imgur.com/KiqVxkz.gifv
We get it dude, you are a bamf.

Besides that you just did the same thing. You showed a bunch of trained security guards manhandling one untrained female. Hardly typical of what to expect when showing one trained fighter against another trained fighter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2019, 03:02 PM

19,573 posts, read 8,522,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
As in super heroes are realistic? As in movies are realistic? Heck, RomComs aren't even realistic, that's why they are entertainment.....
You mean they don't all live happily ever after? Darn!

Old 01-18-2019, 03:05 PM

4,466 posts, read 1,606,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
No, those movies are the sweet spot in film history (along with Star Wars).

1970s to early 90s: not being overwhelmed with computerization, solid characters, little to no PC madness/virtue signaling. The special effects were awesome but still secondary to the characters/plot. That's how you do it.

I can watch those or outright westerns/classics but little else. Movies today, and for quite sometime, are completely overdone with CGI or so SWJ-fied they suck balls.
Well, that was directed at Pilot, first off. But secondly, we aren't talking about CGI or secondary characters. We are talking about women and how they are represented in movies. That poster has an issue with women doing things in fictional movies that are "unrealistic", yet seemingly has no problems with men doing the same "unrealistic" things in fictional movies.

Then he claims he doesn't even watch newer movies, because men are demonized in them. I would just like to know why he says movies like Rambo, Indiana Jones, and Die Hard are "new" movies, why he has no problem with men doing unrealistic things in movies, and what movies are demonizing men (especially since he claims he doesn't even watch newer movies).

Old 01-18-2019, 03:06 PM

19,573 posts, read 8,522,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Did anyone claim that?

Most movies are by their very nature made to be entertaining. The vast majority of fights, races, and other physical confrontations are not realisticly portrayed regardless of the genders involved in said confrontations. But you guys are only complaining about the lack of realism if women prevail. Why is that? How many times does this need to be clarified?
They don't have to be "realistic". They do need to seem somewhat plausible within the context of the story being told. To be fair, sometimes even with men they go over the top, such as in the movie Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, where they are flying through the air in a manner that caused any sane person to come out of the imagined fantasy experienced while watching that movie and think "no way".

Old 01-18-2019, 03:12 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,368,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImissThe90's View Post
Well, that was directed at Pilot, first off. But secondly, we aren't talking about CGI or secondary characters. We are talking about women and how they are represented in movies. That poster has an issue with women doing things in fictional movies that are "unrealistic", yet seemingly has no problems with men doing the same "unrealistic" things in fictional movies.

Then he claims he doesn't even watch newer movies, because men are demonized in them. I would just like to know why he says movies like Rambo, Indiana Jones, and Die Hard are "new" movies, why he has no problem with men doing unrealistic things in movies, and what movies are demonizing men (especially since he claims he doesn't even watch newer movies).
The only outlandishly unrealistic movie in that grouping is Indiana Jones if memory serves. The original Rambo and Die Hard are stretches of course but unless I'm forgetting something they still hold up.

Old 01-18-2019, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
They don't have to be "realistic". They do need to seem somewhat plausible within the context of the story being told.
Bingo.

I just made a post and this is what I was trying to say.

I just watched Temple of Doom a week or so ago. It's by far the biggest stretch in terms of wrapping your head around the whole ordeal.

Old 01-18-2019, 03:19 PM

4,466 posts, read 1,606,599 times
Quote:
The only outlandishly unrealistic movie in that grouping is Indiana Jones if memory serves. The original Rambo and Die Hard are stretches of course but unless I'm forgetting something they still hold up.
In one of the Rambo movies (I believe the 3rd, maybe?) he literally takes down an entire army by himself.... I wouldn't exactly call that realistic, No_Recess. Even still, you can take movies much older than that, and see the men doing things that aren't very realistic. Whether it be in a western where they have 15 guys shooting at them and they never get hit, but manage to take out all 15, or a gangster movie where much the same happens. It may be more over the top now, in general at least, but that is only because of technological advances.

The point remains, if you are saying that women beating up men in a fictional movie is too unrealistic, then you must think the same of all the unrealistic junk men do in movies too. Otherwise, you are just proving you are sexist, and nothing more.

Old 01-18-2019, 03:39 PM

48,534 posts, read 34,863,037 times
Quote:
No, those movies are the sweet spot in film history (along with Star Wars).

1970s to early 90s: not being overwhelmed with computerization, solid characters, little to no PC madness/virtue signaling. The special effects were awesome but still secondary to the characters/plot. That's how you do it.

I can watch those or outright westerns/classics but little else. Movies today, and for quite sometime, are completely overdone with CGI or so SWJ-fied they suck balls.
Seriously? I mean the movies were fun, but certainly not the pinnacle of story telling (movie).
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 01-18-2019, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImissThe90's View Post
In one of the Rambo movies (I believe the 3rd, maybe?) he literally takes down an entire army by himself.... I wouldn't exactly call that realistic, No_Recess. Even still, you can take movies much older than that, and see the men doing things that aren't very realistic. Whether it be in a western where they have 15 guys shooting at them and they never get hit, but manage to take out all 15, or a gangster movie where much the same happens. It may be more over the top now, in general at least, but that is only because of technological advances.

The point remains, if you are saying that women beating up men in a fictional movie is too unrealistic, then you must think the same of all the unrealistic junk men do in movies too. Otherwise, you are just proving you are sexist, and nothing more.
I was only talking about the original Rambo. Never saw the others because I heard they were too unrealistic and sure enough...you pointed that out.

Again, they have to flirt with/be in the ballpark for me to be ok.

The westerns are character/location-based in strength though. You can forgive a little more embellishment there. Sure, part of that is the handicap of not having the technology available today. I visited Monument Valley in Utah this past summer while driving from Vegas to Denver. Specifically went out of my way to see the beautiful location entrenched in my mind from the plethora of John Wayne movies shot there.

And I already pointed out, as did other posters, that in older movies women derived their strengths and weaknesses from their characters...not their gender. Princess Leia physically killed Jabba the Hut by using intelligence and opportunity. You got to that point because of her character having been developed prior to the scene. The audience knew by that point she was capable and not to underestimate her by her deeds...not because of gender. She didn't just walk into Jabba's palace and start kicking ass. Hell, Luke didn't even do that and was a borderline Jedi at that point.

Not today though. I am woman therefore I am badass. We start there and you accept it or else. I don't want to see that with men but a movie can have a wee bit more of a leash if it starts to go there than with a woman. I do agree, keep it in the ballpark though because I need to see character development.

Old 01-18-2019, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Seriously? I mean the movies were fun, but certainly not the pinnacle of story telling (movie).
No, the mix of story telling/technology/acting/setting peaked in that time frame. There's no doubt about that IMO.

You had better stories in the classics/westerns but your acting and pace left a lot to be desired.

Now we've reached CGI/SJW-fied flicks or bust. They are vomit-inducing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies