Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2019, 09:32 PM

25,771 posts, read 17,526,317 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
And hurting other countries is a good thing, even if you are hurting yourself as well?
Quote:
So, all of a sudden foreign investment is a bad thing.......

There is nothing good about losing foreign investment.

I am on American side, and it pains me to see American people, and businesses hurting because of stupid moves by our politicians.
Quote:
Expanded? The market is 2 500 points lower than it was a year ago.
I know you feel compelled to support your own original position, but you are not doing a very good job of it.
Unemployment is very low, job creation is very high, and the stock market is 20% higher than when Trump took office.
China is simply going broke.

Old 01-15-2019, 09:36 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,200,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Trump seems to want US people to once again manufacturing toasters in the US, while China captures more than 50% of global investment in Artificial Intellegence that wil eventually disrupt 40% of the global workforce.
This is the broken USA that Putin wants. I am astounded that Trump is not dragged out of office by that mop on his head.

Old 01-16-2019, 01:24 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,957,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madison999 View Post
China has only the best intentions with their investments here. No really. You don't believe me?
The baker and butcher don’t give a damn about you either.

Old 01-16-2019, 02:47 AM

271 posts, read 140,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
Better that we own our investments and property as opposed to the Chinese....whose side are you on anyway?
Israel, China, and the globalists.....

I'm surprised you haven't picked up on it until now

Old 01-16-2019, 03:05 AM

271 posts, read 140,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swilliamsny View Post
I wouldn't disparage toaster makers. Those type of jobs are a step up from fast food workers, and are needed in the US. It doesn't do us any good to have only white collar and bottom workers, and it only exacerbates income inequality. We should also recognize that much of China's advancement with AI has come from them stealing our technology - both industrial espionage and from manufacturing our products.

While the slowing investment hurts US companies, it also shows that China is needing to force investors to keep their money at home. In other words, the trade war is putting pressure on them and their economy. Regardless of whether we think the trade war is the wrong way to proceed, it's been done, and there are two sides to this latest news. It would be far more worrisome if we saw no changes in Chinese actions due to the trade war.
Excellent post. Touched on all great points

Old 01-16-2019, 06:11 AM

76,966 posts, read 47,850,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Originalist View Post
I would trade whatever the US portion of that $80B is for the $250-$500B we lose to them every year. It's a win-win! Can you do the math?
The math is not there, because the trade deficit has only increased with the stupid trade wars. We are losing on both fronts.

Old 01-16-2019, 06:14 AM

34,297 posts, read 15,741,516 times
Quote:
What is so great about losing $80 billion in foreign investment?
How much of America do you want to sell to China ? The left bought all their ideology already.

Old 01-16-2019, 06:52 AM

76,966 posts, read 47,850,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
How much of America do you want to sell to China ? The left bought all their ideology already.
If I was in business of selling condos, I would have ZERO reasons to not sell to Chinese clients.

Would you?

What do you have against foreign investment?

Why do you think US, and other countries go through so much trouble in order to attract foreign investment?

We buy more from China than they buy from us (we get the goods, they get the money), and they have used much of that money to invest in US economy, but that seems to be coming to an end, so we are taking a beating on two fronts. And you think its a good thing.....

US has been by far the world’s largest receiver of foreign direct investment, and it is not a bad thing, it is a good thing. When foreigners buy US stocks, bonds, currency, etc it not only good for the US workers, and economy, it is also a vote of confidence in United States as whole.

Old 01-16-2019, 07:05 AM

3,416 posts, read 4,487,922 times
China's economy is more or less an extension of the Chinese State, moreso than the U.S. Ask yourself if you think China becoming the world's hegemon and the National People's Congress becoming the leading decision making body in the world is a good thing for your grandkids and the world at large.

Anyone who values liberal, democratic ideals is a fool to think China's rise (funded largely by American consumers) is of no concern.

Old 01-16-2019, 07:17 AM

34,297 posts, read 15,741,516 times
Quote:
If I was in business of selling condos, I would have ZERO reasons to not sell to Chinese clients.

Would you?

What do you have against foreign investment?

Why do you think US, and other countries go through so much trouble in order to attract foreign investment?

We buy more from China than they buy from us (we get the goods, they get the money), and they have used much of that money to invest in US economy, but that seems to be coming to an end, so we are taking a beating on two fronts. And you think its a good thing.....

US has been by far the world’s largest receiver of foreign direct investment, and it is not a bad thing, it is a good thing. When foreigners buy US stocks, bonds, currency, etc it not only good for the US workers, and economy, it is also a vote of confidence in United States as whole.

China is a communist dictatorship and one of the largest human rights violators in the word. And as you say they get our money. We have funded them out of poverty while they have designed a plan to reduce our influence and the influence of western democracy in the world.
They want their currency to replace ours as the world reserve currency and become the communist economy model for the world to follow. Also the dominate world military power. A power they use on their own people to maintain tight control.

Lots of things sound like a good idea on the surface but assisting China to make America subservient isn't in our best interest. Unless, of course, being a communist country is desirable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies