Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2019, 09:50 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,142,126 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
I also think that over-population by humans is the source of lots of our current problems and we should encourage behavior to reverse that trend. Here is what I suggest:

- Self-euthanasia (AKA, suicide) should be de-stigmatized, offered for free, and tax breaks given to the surviving relatives.

- Instead of tax breaks for each additional child in the family, people should be put in a higher tax bracket for each child.

- No more life-saving medical care after you are 75.
I'm with you on the self-euthanasia, but I'd definitely not offer tax breaks to the surviving relatives. A lot of people have horrible families who would be glad to egg them on to undergo voluntary euthanasia if they knew they'd profit afterwards.

Old 01-15-2019, 10:02 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,064,596 times
possessing a human head in and of itself should not be illegal

Old 01-15-2019, 10:04 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,822,893 times
Ban the death penalty, the government should never have such authority. Also, given people on death row have been exonerated, it shows there is a flaw in the system.

But I do not think that is an unpopular opinion...

Old 01-15-2019, 10:40 PM

33,316 posts, read 12,534,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J746NEW View Post
Ban all Lobbyists.
All taxes should be voluntary.
Trade should only exist with other countries that have multiple worker unions.
End trade with Communist and third world countries.

Unless your 'in group' is tied to K Street, the bolded is probably not an unpopular opinion .

Old 01-15-2019, 10:50 PM
Status: "Moldy Tater Gangrene, even before Moscow Marge." (set 2 days ago)

5,790 posts, read 3,600,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
No more life-saving medical care after you are 75.
Sounds like one of the logical conclusions to the claim Robert Mercer made about human value coming exclusively from economic productivity.

The more you can support yourself, the more your life is worth

The lower maintainence you are, the more your life is worth

Older people are higher maintainence than a younger person (health care costs)

Therefore, an older person's life is worth less than a younger persons.

BTW, this sounds a lot like a thread I posted in the Philosophy forum last year - showing that current ways humans value each other means human-level AI have more right to exist than humans. Funny how that kind of thinking works.

Old 01-15-2019, 10:51 PM

10,219 posts, read 15,931,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
What are your most unpopular/controversial opinions or ideas, especially when it comes to politics?

I'll start...

Assisted euthanasia should be legal for anyone who wants it, no questions asked.

Declawing cats and debarking dogs should be illegal unless for a damn good reason. Your furniture is not a damn good reason.

Unless it's a true life or death urgent situation or someone is too debilitated (physically or suffering) to go back and retrieve their ID, ER should not provide care to those who cannot prove their legal residence status.

Your turn
1. Abortion should be illegal PERIOD no ands ifs or buts.

2. DACA people should NOT get amnesty and if they do, then the illegal parents who brought them MUST be deported and never allowed back again.

3. It is okay to torture terrorists to gather intel to prevent further attacks. It is okay to torture captured enemy soldiers in a war if doing so can provide intel that saves American lives.

4. It is okay to racially profile Arabs and Muslims at airports and other counterterrorist operations.

5. Israel is within its rights to take over the West Bank and expel the entire Palestinian population into neighboring Islamic countries because the Bible states that the entire land belongs to the nation of Israel

6. All ethnic Russians should be forced to leave Ukraine unless they swear loyalty to the Ukrainian nation

Old 01-15-2019, 11:21 PM

16,216 posts, read 11,338,692 times
I believe that the justice system should place greater emphasis on restitution in the case of property crimes, and particularly for younger offenders. Some sort of confinement, if only for one weekend, should be imposed upon the first conviction, or guilty plea, and honest, even if forced labor, needs to be central to that process.

Th idea here is really simple: the more disrespect the petty criminal shows for the basic rules of civilized society, the deeper the hole he/she digs for him/herself. I'm willing to wipe the slate clean IF the offender is serious about reform, but if not, he/she can stay in a structured setting for however long it takes.

Old 01-15-2019, 11:30 PM

7,132 posts, read 4,769,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
1. Abortion should be illegal PERIOD no ands ifs or buts.

2. DACA people should NOT get amnesty and if they do, then the illegal parents who brought them MUST be deported and never allowed back again.

3. It is okay to torture terrorists to gather intel to prevent further attacks. It is okay to torture captured enemy soldiers in a war if doing so can provide intel that saves American lives.

4. It is okay to racially profile Arabs and Muslims at airports and other counterterrorist operations.

5. Israel is within its rights to take over the West Bank and expel the entire Palestinian population into neighboring Islamic countries because the Bible states that the entire land belongs to the nation of Israel

6. All ethnic Russians should be forced to leave Ukraine unless they swear loyalty to the Ukrainian nation
Okee-dokee, nothing controversial here. Standard right wing drivel.

Old 01-15-2019, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil75230 View Post
BTW, this sounds a lot like a thread I posted in the Philosophy forum last year - showing that current ways humans value each other means human-level AI have more right to exist than humans. Funny how that kind of thinking works.
Have you read Sapiens by Yuval Harari? I highly recommend it if you like the debate about humans and technology, especially AI and genetic engineering.

Old 01-15-2019, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
That's actually kind of funny. People who do not receive treatment for pneumonia sometimes die. So if you are over 75 do you get treated for pneumonia? How about Jack Daniel (The whiskey man) who died of gangrene?...... Since it started with a stubbed toe, should we no longer treat stubbed toes?

Not meaning to be unkind, but exactly what is life-saving medical care? Seems to me it's a little hard to identify.
Being unkind is sort of the norm around here, so don't worry about it.

I agree it is a slippery slope and I don't know the details. But it seems like we have lost our humanity when we let the medical industry take over our lives in order to keep us alive when your life expectancy is 10 years anyway. I am thinking more of long expensive cancer treatments, organ transplants, open heart surgery, strokes, long ICU stays. Each of those can be 100's of thousands of dollars. Young people can get better use of those expensive treatments. If you can live to a 100 on your own, fine, go for it. But if you have to rely on lots of medical care to limp into your 80's, I am not fine with that.

BTW, I am close to 70, so this is a close-up view of the situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies