Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: should we transition away from the concept of the privately-owned vehicle?
Yes, sooner rather than later! 23 5.26%
No allow privately-owned vehicles, but only if the owner can show need. 9 2.06%
no. 387 88.56%
other (please explain below). 18 4.12%
Voters: 437. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2022, 08:42 AM

1,411 posts, read 565,878 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
That plant in Lordstown was problematic for GM for years, decades actually. Strikes, industrial sabotage, low quality control, it ran the gamut of "not what to do.
Believe me, seeing it "in the flesh" was a real eye opener!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2022, 10:12 AM

73,020 posts, read 62,622,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtkinsonDan View Post
You raise some valid concerns about driving and I don't dispute any of them but I honestly feel the risks on the subways are trains are greater right now and may never go away.
I've taken the train to work before (in addition to taking a commuter bus to work). This was when I lived in the Atlanta metro area. The system out there is fragmented. There is a risk of taking the train. However, driving a car carries alot of risks too. I have a car because it's faster than taking the bus. However, I could get in a car accident due to someone else's recklessness.

Old 03-13-2022, 10:15 AM

45,396 posts, read 60,592,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I've taken the train to work before (in addition to taking a commuter bus to work). This was when I lived in the Atlanta metro area. The system out there is fragmented. There is a risk of taking the train. However, driving a car carries alot of risks too. I have a car because it's faster than taking the bus. However, I could get in a car accident due to someone else's recklessness.
And you could be killed in a train derailment because the inspectors falsified their inspection reports like happens with the DC Metro.

Old 03-13-2022, 12:11 PM

8,181 posts, read 2,792,492 times
Quote:
And you could be killed in a train derailment because the inspectors falsified their inspection reports like happens with the DC Metro.
Or because some rando pushed you into the tracks in front of an oncoming train like has happened in NYC.

Old 03-13-2022, 12:46 PM

10,172 posts, read 20,784,725 times
Sure, let's give up more of our freedoms while we're at it, why stop at privately owned cars? You won't need that boat or camper because Uber certainly isn't going to hitch it for you. You want to go shopping and then out to dinner afterwards? Where do you leave your bags? You like to go off-roading or take family road trips...forget that!

No more privately owned homes, that's a sign of privilege and it's not "equitable". We can all live in government subsidized apartment buildings, stacked on top of one another like Beijing. Several cities are already establishing laws that won't allow for new single-family housing to be built.

Old 03-13-2022, 12:49 PM

Quote:
I've heard of that happening, with Metro DC more than most systems. I could also get in a bus accident.

Old 03-13-2022, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albert648 View Post
Or because some rando pushed you into the tracks in front of an oncoming train like has happened in NYC.
You can get hit by another car while you're driving too. Or you could be the victim of a carjacking. Anything can happen. As far as driving, I view it like this. It's a necessity and a money pit all at once.

Old 03-13-2022, 01:00 PM

9,419 posts, read 11,170,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odinloki1 View Post
Is owning a car truly freedom?

Given the payments insurance etc. and the further time at work, given that the primary purpose of cars is to transport to work.

I have never associated car ownership with freedom.
You are too accustomed to freedom to really appreciate it. Read up on the lifestyles in America in the horse and wagon days. Then along came the Model T. Then came a yooj boom, people traveled more than 50 miles from home, cities grew up, industries grew up, people were free to travel when and where they wanted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by albert648 View Post
Public transportation sucks ass. There's a reason the very rich don't use it.
They don't want their chauffeurs to have to ride the bus either. Let's not forget that.

Quote:
You could also get struck by a stray meteorite flying in at 6000 MPH, or by the contents of a porta-let bag that someone dropped out of a private plane flying over you at 5000' and 160 MPH.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
Sure, let's give up more of our freedoms while we're at it, why stop at privately owned cars? You won't need that boat or camper because Uber certainly isn't going to hitch it for you. You want to go shopping and then out to dinner afterwards? Where do you leave your bags? You like to go off-roading or take family road trips...forget that!

No more privately owned homes, that's a sign of privilege and it's not "equitable". We can all live in government subsidized apartment buildings, stacked on top of one another like Beijing. Several cities are already establishing laws that won't allow for new single-family housing to be built.
YES YES YES!! Ask any Rooskie how much they enjoy living in those drab poorly constructed mass-peasant housing buildings.

Quote:
You can get hit by another car while you're driving too. Or you could be the victim of a carjacking. Anything can happen. As far as driving, I view it like this. It's a necessity and a money pit all at once.
You could ride a donkey to work. The likelihood of being hit by another donkey is just about zero.

Old 03-13-2022, 01:04 PM

9,500 posts, read 2,919,782 times
Quote:
I driven through Atlanta and never ever want to do that again.

Old 03-13-2022, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blues4evr View Post
I driven through Atlanta and never ever want to do that again.
I no longer live in the Atlanta metro area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies